LOVE & STITCHES at The Asylum Part Five

 

Almost the weekend!

Good on you for hanging in there. You get a treat!

Happy Reading!

 

****

PART 1

PART 2

PART 3

PART 4

****


Sneaking out of the loft first thing in the morning wasn’t something Jared usually concerned himself with. Needing to strike a balance between early enough so he didn’t miss those he needed to speak with to plan Wren’s birthday, and not so late that Wren would be easily awakened, he’d set his watch to buzz on his wrist at six a.m.

Unfortunately, his wrist just happened to be under Noah’s ass.

“Jamie, get your cat out of the bed.” Noah rolled away, grabbing his pillow and plunking it over his head. “If he draws blood before dawn again, you can explain how he's half feral to Jared when he has to patch me up.”

Already on his feet, clearly not awake, hair sticking up like he’d found a new antigravity cream, Jamie looked around the bed. Lips parted, he threw Jared a distressed look. “Where did he go?” He bent down, pale butt in the air, to look under the bed. “L.D.?” He made kissy noises. “L.D.? Where’d you go?” Lifting a pillow, then another, he disturbed the bed, and all of its occupants.

“Jamie.” Grabbing the boy’s wrist, Jared gave him a slight head shake. “It’s fine. It was my watch.”

“Reed took L.D. home with him last night.” Curled up with only the edge of one blanket covering him, Wren didn’t open his eyes. “He’s trying to convince Lawson he can take care of a pet. I didn’t have the heart to remind him of poor Ginger, his goldfish. But Matt’s there, so L.D. will be fine.”

“Ginger died?” Distress pinked Jamie’s cheeks. “What about Fred?” He plopped on the edge of the bed, bouncing the mattress like he weighed at least one-hundred pounds more than he actually did. “Can we get Fred another Ginger?”

Groaning, Noah moved the pillow. He rubbed his hands over his face. “Curtis and Shea had a bet. I’m not even sure who won, they both held the goldfish in their mouths for a ridiculous amount of time. I’m almost certain Curtis swallowed his and replaced it. With one L.D. ate. Animals are not safe in that household.” He threw his legs over the side of the bed. “I’ll go get him.”

“I can do it, sir.” Bouncing to his feet, Jamie skittered past, grabbing his robe on his way. “You rest. I got this!”

His shout produced a groan from the living room sofa. “If it wouldn’t hurt me more than you, I’d tan your ass, Jamie. Shut. The. Fuck. Up.”

“Slam the door, Jamie!” Jared hollered after him, sharing an evil grin with Noah.

The door banged hard enough to shake the dust out of the rafters.

“May I have my earphones, sir?” Wren wiggled, taking Noah’s abandoned pillow. “It seems to be a very loud morning. Not to bother anyone’s need to test the sound barrier, but it’s very unpleasant.”

Reaching over his boy, Jared pulled open the nightstand drawer. The battery light on the headphones glowed a steady green. He pulled up the pillow, allowing himself a long peek at the tousled head beneath before he placed the headphones over Wren’s ears and gently lowered the pillow. Wearing him out last night had been beneficial in more ways than one.

Jared scooted to the end of the bed to share a kiss with Noah. “Sorry for waking you, love.”

“It’s all right.” Noah curved his hand around the back of Jared’s neck, touching their foreheads together before kissing him again. “I hate it when you’re gone before I’m up. But you’re not on shift at the clinic today, are you? We agreed you’d get at least one full day off.”

“No. I’m not.” A glance over his shoulder confirmed Wren still had the pillow over his head. “I need to catch Keiran and the others in the bar this morning to ask for a special favor.”

That caught Noah’s interest. He pushed to his feet, reaching to adjust the rumpled blankets over Wren, his lips curving slightly as he smoothed them. “Do you want me to come with you or stay here for when he wakes up? He’s usually okay when I leave a few notes to let him know where we are. He likes his quiet mornings for all the little rituals he does. Not that he complains when it’s not possible.”

Gaze lingering on Wren, Jared shared Noah’s soft smile. “Yes, let him sleep. I wore him out last night.” His smile widened as Noah met his eyes. “And you’ll be needed for at least three parts of this plan, so yes please. Do come downstairs.” Opening a drawer, Jared took out his jeans. “We need Curtis too.”

“This should be interesting after him spending the night on our couch.” Noah dressed in a faded pair of his own jeans and a black T-shirt Jamie had gotten him with a golden half lion embroidered on one side. “I’m glad Reed went home, I wouldn’t have been surprised if he’d slept on the floor beside the sofa or tried to squeeze in, but he’d be very sore.”

Sliding into his loafers, without socks, Jared noted their perfectly conditioned leather. Wren had outdone himself. “I sent him down when Wren and I finally came up.” He and Noah walked into the living room together, Jared pausing by the sofa to yank the covers off Curtis. “Rise and shine, lazy Marty.”

“I hate your ugly ass.” The snarl Curtis issued made Jared wince on his behalf, Curtis sitting up to drop his head into his hands. “What could be so fucking important, Bluebeard? Do I need to clean up a corpse in your bedroom?”

Bending over Curtis, Noah reached down and landed a solid smack on Curtis’ thigh. “Try that again. You won’t be rude to my man in our own home, my boy. Self-inflicted misery is no excuse.”

Head jerking up, Curtis whipped around to look at Noah like he’d grown two heads. Jared half expected the ceiling to fall down himself, and suddenly understood Danny much better. Rubbing his thigh, Curtis licked visibly dry lips before ratcheting around to stare up at Jared. 

“Sorry?” Curtis uttered the word like he wondered if it might open Aladdin's Cave. 

Meeting Noah’s gaze, Jared let muted humor show in his own before he addressed Curtis. “You may apologize to me properly later.”

Noah chuckled and ruffled Curtis’ already tangled hair. “Be good and it might not be entirely unpleasant. Get up and fold those blankets, I won’t have you leaving more work for Wren. I’ll grab you a Gatorade to help you pull yourself together.” Straightening, he headed for the kitchen. “I’d like to understand what you were thinking, getting yourself in this state. You haven’t been this reckless in a while, I was impressed.”

Fuschia always had been a good color on Curtis, and he wore it well now. Jared stood back, arms folded as he moved stiffly to fold the blankets with all the precision they both knew Noah had instilled in him. It was like watching a time machine throw them all back a decade. 

“I was saving Pike from alcohol poisoning.” The roughness in Curtis’ voice made Jared want to clear his own throat. “It was either that or challenge Rhodey. The former seemed...wiser.”

Noah returned with a bottle of blue liquid, his brow raised. “You managed to sneak the drinks, but had to consume them, rather than find a way to pour them out?” He handed Curtis the bottle. “Next time, rethink your strategy. Or, even better? Let Pike face his own consequences. Rhodey wouldn’t have gone that far.”

Even Jared wasn’t sure about that, but he kept his own counsel. “He likely knew you were drinking those shots, Curtis, and only poured more.”

“It seemed like a good idea at the time.” Cracking the cap on the Gatorade, Curtis brought the bottle to his lips to drain half the contents before he lowered it again to give Noah a pleading look. “He’s the brother I never really had. I’d do more than drink a half quart of fireball for him.”

“I know, and that’s why I haven’t sent you down to explain this to Lawson before he gets some coffee in him.” This time, when Noah brought his hand to Curtis, it was to gently stroke his hair back. He held Curtis’ gaze for a moment. “But if you’re going to be a big brother? Set a good example. If you’d told Pike not to drink anymore? I’m willing to bet he would’ve stopped. Rhodey’d have come up with something else, but you wouldn’t be suffering now and neither would he.”

The dumbfounded look on Curtis’ face would’ve been amusing five minutes ago, but Jared found himself feeling bad for the man. Good old hindsight. It had ten teeth on the top, and ten on the bottom, that never failed to bite you in the ass.

“Christ.” Curtis issued one of his rarer sacrilegious curses. “I deserve to have Lawson beat the shit out of me. I’m an idiot.”

“Sometimes. But it’s adorable.” Noah patted Curtis’ cheek. “You can thank Jared for sending Reed to your loft. If he’d woken up in pain for staying with you? This conversation wouldn’t be so pleasant.”

Taking a breath and holding it, Curtis appeared to be trapped under water, wrestling some past demon. Watching him rise to the surface was a bit like seeing a merman emerge against a riotous undertow to the calm sea above. Pink-faced, he threw Jared a shy look, his lashes dipping in a not unsexy way. “Sorry...Jared. Thanks for saving Reed from my carelessness.”

Jared leaned over, bringing his lips to Curtis’ ear in a way he’d only done once or twice when they’d all scened together back in the day. “You may earn my forgiveness by calling me ‘sir’ for the rest of the day.”

A shudder ran down the length of Curtis’ spine, his head snapping up. He looked to Noah like he might need his permission, then back to Jared. His gaze ping-ponged several times between them both. “Uh...”

“The words you’re looking for are ‘Yes, sir’.” Noah’s lips slanted as he glanced over his shoulder, moving to where all their shoes were neatly lined up and tugging on a pair of well worn boots—much too well polished for how rough they looked. He didn’t even need to untie the laces. “And I’m sure Matt’s gotten some coffee in Lawson by now. You’ve been spared the worst.”

“Yes, sir.” Curtis said the words to Noah, turned an even brighter shade of red than Matt could affect, and held up both hands. “I mean Jared. I mean, yes, Jared. Sir.” He scrunched his eyes closed. “Jesus fucking Christ.”

Noah met Jared’s eyes. “Do you think he’ll be more responsible from here on out or should we keep torturing him?”

Jared’s brows rose to his hairline. “This is torture?”

“For him?” Noah straightened and lifted his shoulders. “Usually, but I’m willing to use more extreme measures if necessary.”

“I’m good. We’re good.” Holding up his hands, Curtis backed toward the bathroom. “I’ll be down in a few minutes.”

Chuckling, Jared crossed to the door, giving Noah’s arm a pat on his way by. “I don’t know if he’s going in there to jack off or relieve himself. Let’s get out of here before I find out.”

“Good idea.” Noah glanced back, raising his voice. “This is one of the rare mornings Wren will likely sleep in. He has his earphone on, so he won’t hear you, but please make sure the bedroom door is closed when Jamie comes back with that darn cat so he doesn’t pounce on him.”

“Got it!” Curtis called back.

Jared opened the door. White flashed by him, launching itself through the air and over his shoulder in a blur. Arms still in the position they’d cradled L.D., Jamie looked up at him in surprise. “Holy fluffing fluff. You fluffin’ fluff ball, L.D.”

“Damn it.” Noah strode across the room, closing the bedroom door so fast L.D. ran right into it, then bounced off like one of the ‘super balls’ Reed was forbidden from bringing into the bar. Watching him go, Noah sighed. “Did Reed let him go to town on the catnip again?”

Jamie grimaced, hands jammed in his robe pockets. “Maybe? We kinda owe Lawson a new leather sofa.”

“Come on.” Scooping Jamie up, Jared made an executive decision to get their show on the road before Wren really did wake up and catch them planning his party. “Noah, your boy needs a haircut. And a wax. I feel his furryness through this terry robe.”

Joining him in the hall, Noah patted Jamie’s ass. “The person we had who came in was on vacation for a while, but she’ll be back tomorrow. I called her and arranged a full treatment. Actually, Seth helped tempt her. He’s sending out a private jet. Pike needs his hair recolored and that boy is spoiled rotten.”

“Oh, we know nothing about that, do we, little cat?” Jared hiked Jamie higher in an attempt not to trip over the bathrobe tie that had come loose.

“I’m not spoiled. I’m pampered. Stephan said.” Jamie pouted up at him, then made a kissy face at Noah.

Noah inclined his head. “He’s a very smart man. And, Jared, you have to admit, Jamie doesn’t sulk like that boy. Or get in nearly half the trouble he does. He deserves his treats.”

Jamie looped his arms around Jared’s neck, giving him a little help as his and Noah’s footsteps clattered down the stairs in a way they rarely did. The mood was light and the day was bright, so making noise felt good. 

“I think you enjoy spoiling him as much as he enjoys being spoiled.” Jared gave Jamie’s hair a soft tug. “And that’s fine, as long as you hold him to the same standards as everyone else.”

“Now why would I do that?” Noah’s tone held amusement. “He’s earned his place here and all the perks that go with it. Once the others catch up, I’ll consider it. Maybe.”

“Hm.” Jared sat on a stair tread just outside the door to the bar, forcing Noah to stop. Undoing Jamie’s belt, he wound it around his wrists much as he’d done Wren’s tie last night. “Here you go, Noah.” Standing, he held Jamie out to his Dom. “Jamie, it would please me very much for your Dom to feed you from his fingers while you sit by his feet this morning. Quietly.”

Jamie opened his mouth, then closed it, a little furrow appearing in his brow. He looked up at Noah, a question in his gaze.

“That is a very good idea. As Jared pointed out, I enjoy spoiling you, my little cat. And I’d enjoy showing the Core how many different ways I find to do so.” Noah swept Jamie up into his arms and kissed his parted lips. “Besides, this helps with your career. You should rest your voice before you share it with the world.”

Pushing open the door, Jared snorted. “You’re ridiculous. You know that, don’t you?”

“Love makes fools of us all.” Noah planted a noisy kiss on Jared’s cheek, balancing Jamie effortlessly against his chest. “I wasn’t sure how you’d be after last night, but it’s damn good to see you smiling like this. Remind me to make it happen more often.”

Inside the bar, things were still quiet this early. Lawson was in his usual spot, but from the look of him, this was not a standard morning. Leaning heavily against the bar, it seemed like the man was struggling to find his words as Reed rushed around behind it.

“I am aware of an early shipment. Matt is with Keiran to get it.” Lawson frowned down at the empty space in front of him. “The coffee you gave me...what did you do to it? That is what I don’t understand.”

Reed spilled the bag he was holding, coffee beans plinking over the counter behind the bar and on the floor. “It was instant. I figured it would be faster and if I put a few scoops in it would work. But it was all...thick. How does Matt make this ish into powder? Should I use the blender?”

“Good morning, Lawson.” Exchanging a glance with Noah, Jared couldn’t keep the ‘Oh, yes, this is going to be good’ look from his face. “Reed, we’ll take some pancakes and fruit. Only two sets of silver, love.”

Lawson stared at Jared, shaking his head. “A good morning? No, I don’t think it is. I only had a sip of sludge. That was cruel of you to say. And I seem to have lost Curtis.”

Picking up the spilled coffee beans from the floor and shoving them in the bag in a way that would have both Matt and Wren staring in horror, Reed nodded at Jared and gave Lawson a pleading look. “I told you he’s not lost, sir. He...was...umm…” He chewed on the edge of his lip. “Sidetracked by a thing. I’m sure he’ll be back soon.” He gave Jared a shaky smile. “I can do pancakes. And Keiran cut some fruit last night so totally on it.”

Leaving Curtis’ customary stool open, Jared took the one on Lawson’s other side where he’d have a view of the stairs and the mirror that was part of the backbar. He waited until Reed slipped into the galley before he took pity on Lawson...and Curtis, and went behind the bar to find the coffee grinder.

Noah seemed to take the open stool as an invitation and lowered Jamie to the floor before taking a seat. He shot Lawson an amused look. “I’m not sure if anyone told you, but your shirt’s on backwards.”

Huffing, Lawson shook his head. “Nonsense. There is no backwards. It’s a fabric to cover yourself.” He looked down and frowned. “This is Curtis’ shirt. He wears it much better.”

The sound of the grinder whirring under Jared’s fingertips came at the same time the bar door opened and Curtis stepped through. Wearing a white Henley that he somehow managed to be more pale than, he winced, frowned, then widened his eyes, and started to back out of the room.

Right into Quint, who made an irritated sound before moving around him. “Excuse me, sir.” He carried Pike to one of the booths, lowering him to the black padded bench gently. “Keep your eyes closed for a bit, I’ll get you something to eat.”

“Ribs? Keiran said there were ribs. I don’t know if I deserve to feel better if I can’t enjoy them.” Pike dropped onto the bench, folding his arms over his face. “Why is it so fucking bright in here? It’s not even a sane hour. Turn them off, Quint. Please?”

Reaching under the bar, Jared grabbed a couple towels, and whistled to get Quint’s attention. He tossed the towels to his boy, then snapped his fingers at Curtis, who was about to close the bar door behind him. “Curtis. Help me with coffee for Lawson.”

Curtis shot him a death glare, skulking back out of the stairwell. “Thanks.”

Jared raised an expectant brow.

“...sir.” Lip curled, Curtis put paid to the word but not the sentiment.

At which point Jared rummaged around in the lost and found box, dug out a wrist cuff and tossed it to Curtis. “Wear it.”

“Curtis, you’re here.” Lawson looked over, then let out a heavy sigh. “I might be hearing things. Be my sweet man and get me some coffee? I think Reed may have picked up some of Keiran’s less appealing traits. He tried to poison me this morning. I don’t know why. I tucked him in last night. Maybe I chose the wrong plush for him to sleep with. Yes, that must be it.”

Head up, shoulders back, Curtis stuffed the wrist cuff in his pocket, moving around the bar. He brushed past Jared, plucking up implements of caffeine construction as he went. It had been Curtis’ job to make coffee in the morning for as long as Jared had known him, well before Matt had arrived at The Asylum. He did it now like he was born to it, measuring and pouring and stirring with almost the same grace and fluidity Matt had perfected. If Jared hadn’t known he suffered from the mother of all hangovers, he would’ve had to look closely to figure it out.

“Perfect f’in pancakes, first try!” Reed burst out of the galley, setting a large stack in front of Noah, along with a bowl of mixed fruit, having forgotten the tray altogether and using the biggest plates they had. “I’m making more, but taste them. I think even Keiran would say they’re pretty decent!”

Cutting a piece after adding some syrup from the glass container Reed fetched at the last second, Noah took a bite. His smile was a bit forced. “They look amazing, Reed. But...did you put vinegar in them?”

Reed’s eyes widened with horror. “Shit. I think I got it mixed up with the vanilla. One sec. Reset, I’ve got this.”

“Hey.” Snapping his fingers, Curtis tugged Reed around for a kiss, landing a solid smack on his ass. “Good morning.”

“Good morning, sir.” Reed’s bottom lip trembled. “I’m sorry, I ruined the coffee and the pancakes. But I’ll be more careful.”

“Fuck the coffee and pancakes. I wanted a good morning kiss.” Nipping Reed’s lip, Curtis shot him a bracing look. “Love you, sparkles. Go kick kitchen ass.”

Swallowing hard, Reed nodded. “I will, sir. Why don’t you sit down and...do you want some pancakes? Without vinegar?” He slipped his phone from his pocket. “I’m gonna see how long Keiran’s gonna be. And Matt always brings coffee. Maybe today won’t totally suck.”

“Burned toast. Honey. And a giant cheeseburger with fries. Don’t pat them down. I want all the grease my arteries can handle.” The coffee machine burbled in the background, Curtis having started it without looking.

Leaning against the backbar, Jared gave him a knowing smile. “Why? Do you have a hangover or something?”

“Don’t be ridiculous. Curtis only started drinking again when he was able to do so without issue.” Lawson focused on the empty spot in front of him, as though the effort might make coffee magically appear. “I spoke to Stephan myself. He said it’s not an addiction, it had become a crutch. But it can be managed and Curtis is managing it. Did Reed say vinegar? Please tell him not to put any in my coffee.”

Curtis snatched up a sturdy mug, moving the pot out from under the stream of liquid, and replacing it with the cup to fill it. “I lost a bet with Jared, so he’s giving me a hard time today. Aren’t you, sir?”

One side of Jared’s mouth tipped up. “Bad boy.”

“A bet? What kind of bet?” Lawson turned on his stool, his unfocused gaze going over Jared, then Curtis, then back. “I don’t believe I approved this. I had fifteen new applicants to review last night, but I am not one to overlook such important matters.”

Noah snorted, feeding Jamie some of the fruit Reed had left them, the juices from the slices of melon dripping from his fingertips onto Jamie’s chin. “I told you to spread them out, it always drains you to try to ‘read’ them all. And you had that couple I told you were only interested because of that fucking movie. Did you accept them?”

“No.” Lawson’s lips thinned. “And I wasn’t going to judge them because they put Fifty Shades on their application under ‘Experience’. Many are curious and it’s unfair to assume they aren’t serious because they have poor choices in movies.”

Swiping the coffee cup out from under the flow, Curtis replaced it with the pot before he fixed it the way Lawson liked his first cup and placed it in front of him. “Anything else, sir? I mean, Lawson?”

Eyes narrowing, Lawson grabbed Curtis’ wrist. “You never call me ‘sir’ unless you’re in a bad place. What am I missing? Did this asshole start with you again? I should have figured with his whole show of having Jamie on his knees.” He gave Noah a cold look. “If you need to remind everyone you’re in control, do it with your own subs. Leave mine the fuck alone.”

Jamie stood up so fast he hit his head on the underside of the bar. “Ow.” Rubbing his hair with both tied hands, he glared at Lawson. “Your sub spent the night smashed on our sofa. And my Doms were trying to have some fun with me. Sir.”

“Thanks a fucking lot, Jamie. Jesus.” Curtis threw his hands in the air. 

Lips parting, Lawson stared at Jamie. Then glared at Noah. “You must be fucking satisfied. He’d been doing so well he didn’t need you anymore. You made sure that didn’t last.”

Gray eyes flashing, Noah stood, looking down at Lawson. “You’re very fucking lucky I know why you’re like this before your first cup. Drink it. Drink several. Then come see me.” He turned, knocking over the stool he’d been sitting in. “Jamie, stay with Jared. I need a fucking minute.” He stormed out through the gym doors, letting them slam behind him.

Watching him go, Jamie deflated, then untied his wrists with his teeth. 

Jared sighed, coming around the bar. He slid Lawson an assessing look. 

“I don’t understand.” Jamie peered up at Lawson. “Are you three doing something I don’t know about? Is Noah your Dom again?”

Forearms braced on the bar, Lawson shook his head, jaw working. “No.” He took a long sip of his coffee, the tightening of his brow showing it was still too hot, but he didn’t seem to care. “Never that, pet. I don’t know what happened last night, but I appreciate you letting Curtis stay with you.”

“These ones are perfect! Keiran watched the whole time. Also, Matt’s telling the delivery guys to hurry up after hearing what’s going down here. It was so fucking hot.” Reed’s tone was strained, like he was desperate to lighten the mood. He set some pancakes in front of Jamie, then brought another plate to Pike, who Quint had joined, sitting him on his lap and holding his hands over his ears. He went over to Curtis with the last plate, which held burnt toast and a massive, greasy cheeseburger. “Just how you like it, sir. Keiran gets all the credit. He talked me through it.”

“You’re my hero.” Curtis kissed the tip of Reed’s nose, bringing his boy with him to a table in the far corner.

Jamie sat, poking at his food, looking like he really wanted to eat it for Reed, but couldn’t because his attention focused completely on the gym door. 

“Come with me.” Motioning to Jamie, Jared walked toward the cigar lounge. 

The actual act of having Wren’s birthday may end up easier to pull off than the planning. Considering what Jared had in mind, that was saying something. First things first, however. He had other needs to attend. Namely, a long overdue conversation, a bit of cuddling...

And a wakeup call.

Following him into the cigar lounge, Jamie closed the door and assumed a wait position. It didn’t escape Jared how well he’d always done when given clear boundaries and expectations. Tired of playing bad cop to Noah’s good, Jared realized he’d let things go.

“Come, sit with me.” Taking a seat in one of the leather wingback chairs, Jared pointed to the one opposite. “Tell me what’s bothering you.”

Jamie plunked down on the seat, tucking his knees up under the robe he’d re-belted, his arms going around his shins. “Honestly?” Chin on his knees, he wrinkled his brow. “I’m going stir crazy, and I don’t remember the last time I left this place. And I don’t know. It’s everything...and nothing.”

“I see.” Doing his best to listen and not judge—as Stephan had advised—Jared tried to put himself in Jamie’s place. As a child, the young man had been to more countries than most adults would in a lifetime. He was hyperactive, with a need to move and do and be visible. He literally didn’t know how to take a backseat.

But there were some realities that had worried Jared for some time, which he needed to be honest about now...

“Jamie. I know we’re in a lifestyle that can sometimes put you at a disadvantage—” Jared started, then shook his head. “Let me start again.”

Green eyes focused on him, Jamie curled his toes over the edge of the chair. “Yes, sir?”

“I know you didn’t fully understand what you were getting into when you walked in The Asylum’s front door, and in a sense nothing in your life has been the same since.” Jamie opened his mouth to interrupt, but Jared held up his hand. “Let me finish.” When he was sure Jamie was listening, he continued. “You are a romantic through and through. You believe love will win the day. And while it certainly helps, it’s not everything. Sometimes, what is needed is to put yourself second. To sit in the moment and let things happen. You’re an adult, and you need to learn to behave like one.”

Swallowing audibly, Jamie didn’t speak, but his pink cheeks and the sheen of tears in his eyes said Jared had hit a nerve. Not his intent, but at least he had the sub’s attention.

“Someday...” He looked out the window, finding this part difficult to say. “Someday, it’s possible that this...stress, this cloud we’re all living under, will take one or more of us from you and Wren.” Jared cleared his throat. “I need to know that if that should happen you will take care of him.” He met Jamie’s gaze with every bit of weight he needed to convey. “I need to know you won’t fall apart, and you’ll be his world. Steady. Capable. Selfless.”

Jamie rolled his lips between his teeth, nodding a little. “Yes, sir.”

“When you lose control and can’t obey a simple order, it doesn’t give me confidence that you can do the harder things.” Leaning forward, Jared took both of Jamie’s ice cold hands in his. “I count on you more than you know, my boy. You and I? We need to be one-hundred-percent in this, because the men we love are counting on us. Do you understand?”

“Yes, sir.” Hoarseness coating his voice, Jamie nodded again. “I understand.”

Squeezing Jamie’s fingers, Jared leaned back and let go. “Thank you. That means a great deal to me.” He patted his thighs. “Now come warm up. You’re freezing cold.”

“I—”

Jared narrowed his gaze. “It wasn’t a request.”

Standing, Jamie crossed to him, looking a little awkward until Jared pulled him into his lap and kissed the top of his bedhead. “Good boy.”

At those words, Jamie relaxed into him, drawing up his knees. He rested his forehead on top of them, swallowing audibly, then quieted. They sat like that for longer than Jared could count—Jared rubbing his back and Jamie not fidgeting or talking. Just being quiet, with him.

The door opened almost silently, and once Jared saw who it was, he knew the soft sound was intentional. Rhodey stood in the doorway, watching him for a moment.

When he spoke, his tone was calm, the one he used when he was soothing one of his boys. Jared rarely heard it, but with Danny joining the ranks, it had become more frequent. “I got Noah calmed down. Moved him from the windows in the dance club to the punching bags. I’ll get them replaced, no need for Lawson to put them on the budget—the fucking things should have been harder to punch through.” Rhodey’s lips quirked. “Or I should be proud. He hit the windows and not the walls, so his aim isn’t too off.”

Beneath Jared’s palm, Jamie stiffened, but his breaths remained steady. An improvement. Jared nodded, shifting to move Jamie off of him. “I’ll check his hands.” He stood, placing Jamie on the chair he’d vacated and grabbed a thick faux fur blanket from the back of the sofa to place over him. “Stay in here as long as you need to. If you don’t come out in a while, I’ll have Reed bring your breakfast in.”

“Thank you, sir.” Jamie pulled the throw around himself, resting his cheek on his knees.

Plunking down on the sofa, Rhodey reached out, grabbing the back of Jamie’s shirt much in the way he sometimes did Wren—which had Wren coming the closest he ever did to a whine, reminding the man he wasn’t a puppy. Wrapping his arms around Jamie, Rhodey relaxed back into the leather cushions. “Tag. You’re it. My boys are at Keiran’s restaurant and Dallas is coddling them shamelessly. I’ll cuddle this one while you deal with the bullshit out there. I’m generous like that.”

Jared inclined his head, half of him thinking Stephan had turned them all inside-out, and half of him sincerely enjoying watching Rhodey share time with Jamie. If Noah walked in, Jared predicted he’d say, ‘What’s wrong with him? Are you okay, little cat? Fuck, I shouldn’t have left you alone. Uncle, I swear to god, if you hurt him I’ll—”

And things would be off and running in a different direction. Because, when it came to Jamie, one slip, one wrong move...could set off a whole series of landmines.

Thankfully, Jared knew where most of them were buried.

**** 

Part 6

**** 

 

To keep up to date on all the happenings with The Asylum Fight Club, sign up to the newsletter HERE: https://www.subscribepage.com/j4m0q5 

There's also a new twitter account: https://twitter.com/asylumfightclub

And tons of socials where you can find info on the core! Keep an eye out for all the links so you never miss a thing!

As always, comments are welcome and spoilers can be discussed in the spoiler group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/244198880244923 

  Have and amazing week!

 

Comments

  1. Awesome it does my heart good to see them all working out their issues

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that dynamics between Noah, Curtis and Jared HOT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving the morning comedy of errors πŸ˜‚
    Also re. Bianca’s announcement of frequency of these parts. I would read every day but I think 3 per week would be my magic number to keep the fun of the anticipation

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor Jared. Will he be able to plan this party with all the interruptions?

    ReplyDelete
  5. All caught up and ready for more πŸ™ŒπŸ™Œ love this family and will read anything and everything you write for them. Thank you for keeping this sorry going ❤️Can’t wait to see what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That heart to heart with Jamie πŸ₯ΊπŸ˜’😭

    ReplyDelete
  7. πŸ˜‚ vinegar in pancake sounds like something my sister's would accidentally do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. See, it all comes back to the Doms protecting their subs; It is the one thing they all have in common and are mostly blind too when other Doms do it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This one was so good. I'm behind because of working 24/7 ugh but its so nice to relax in the afternoon being able to read these. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes yes yes more bondage and sweet D/s moments like Jared was trying to have with Jamie and Noah for the whole Core please!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts