Double the Heat Brewed by The Asylum-Part Five

 

All right, so this is a long one! lol There's a lot going on, and this will likely be split in two chapters for the novella, but I debated splitting it for the blog and figured I'd just let you enjoy it at your own pace over the weekend. <g>

So Happy Reading!

****

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

****

There was no good reason to keep the gang activities to himself. Matt knew Lawson would figure out some clever way to deal with them. If he asked Curtis, they could all go out there and have some fun kicking ass. A respectful request to Rhodey would probably...lead to results he didn’t even want to think about, but still an option.

I said I’ve got this. That means all of it.

Only one problem. If someone didn’t keep their mouth shut, he wouldn’t have a choice. Catching Jamie’s eye where the other sub had climbed up on Noah—who sat at the bar with Lawson and Curtis—Matt narrowed his gaze and gave his head a subtle shake.

Jamie’s lips parted and he stuttered.

Which immediately drew Noah’s attention. The Dom wrapped his arm around Jamie’s waist, locking him in against his chest and giving him a raised brow look. “What is it, little cat? Matt didn’t give you a hard time about going out with you to get the mail, did he?”

What the actual fuck? How did this get flipped on me?

At least Jamie finally managed to shake his head and get some words out. “No, sir. He was great. The box was bigger and heavier than I expected, so he grabbed it for me before I could break all the flipping mugs.” He slapped a hand over his mouth, then winced. “Shoot. Oww. I bit my tongue ring again.”

“Buyers beware.” Curtis winked at Jamie, cutting into the waffle in front of him with his fork. He took a big bite, then made a face. His eyes were watering as he kept chewing, forcing a smile as Reed skidded out of the galley. “Mmm, these are delicious, Sparkles.”

Shaking his head, Reed grabbed the plate. “No, they’re horrible. I mixed up the salt and the sugar containers again.” He ducked back into the galley, muttering under his breath. “Why are all these labels the same color?”

Lips twitching, Lawson handed Curtis a napkin, patting his back as he coughed out the waffle. “I’m going to speak to Stephan and see if there’s a system we can put into place in the galley that’s more Reed-friendly.”

Sitting up a bit on the edge of Noah’s knee, Jamie grinned at Lawson. “Post-its work really well for Wren. Jared puts them all over for him so he remembers the date and where we are if we’re not home. I ordered a whole bunch of really cool ones, I can give you a few packs. I use them sometimes too so I don’t forget Wren will freak if I don’t do the cat litter every day. Or leave the towels on the floor.”

“Or under the bed.” Noah tickled Jamie’s ribs, proving, once again, how ridiculous the pair was. “Kicking them out of sight does not count as tidying up.”

“I only do that when I’m in a hurry.” Jamie squirmed, giggling and laying his head on Noah’s shoulder. “Wren doesn’t mind. He said he gets it. Or, well he said it was either look for them under the bed or move the hamper somewhere easier to see and it must stay where it is. He gets a lot more stressed when I move things.”

Rolling his neck, Matt went around the bar, checking Lawson’s cup, happy to find it empty because it gave him something to do. Fine, the post-its weren’t a horrible idea—Jared had suggested them before—but he was pretty sure Reed had some from the Dom. He just got too distracted to use them.

And he was trying really hard to keep things running like Keiran had.

He’ll figure it out.

Unless everyone took over. Which would make Reed feel like they didn’t trust him to handle things on his own.

Projecting much?

Stifling an irritated growl, Matt dumped the sugar in Lawson’s cup.

Shut up.

The galley and his cafe were two completely different things. Reed had done just fine before Keiran got the job. He just had to get back into the flow in his own way and stop trying to do everything like someone who had years of training and experience. Remember this place was a club, not a five-star restaurant.

With the cafe, it was Matt’s business, the one big accomplishment he’d dreamed of for himself. He’d accepted a lot of the help he knew he needed, but now it was all on him. He was responsible for whether or not it was a success or a complete flop.

As Matt brought Lawson’s coffee to the bar, Jamie motioned to him while kissing the side of Noah’s neck. Gave him a thumbs up. Not the most subtle thing in the world, but the dude seemed to have finally caught on. He wouldn’t bring up the gang.

“Oh, thank you, Mathew. That’s very kind of you.” Intercepting him placing the cup in front of Lawson, Jared took it, carrying it over to the empty stool at Noah’s right. He took a sip, raising his brow when Matt scowled at him. “I believe your husband will be enjoying at least one cup at your grand opening. By my count, he’s already had two. We wouldn’t want him to overindulge, would we?”

Fuck you and your reasonable bullshit. You’re not Lawson’s…

All right, maybe Matt was getting a bit too moody. He might not love how twisted Jared could be, but he was grateful for how well he took care of Lawson. As a doctor, he was all kinds of awesome—especially when he didn’t hate someone and get his rocks off watching them suffer.

But now Matt was out of options to keep himself distracted and he still had another thirty minutes to go before heading over to start prepping for the grand opening.

He bit back a smirk when Jared took a sip, making a face at the coffee which he didn’t usually take that sweet. Putting on his best, deferential service submissive face, he addressed the Dom. “If it’s not to your liking, sir, I can get you another cup?”

From the corner of his eye, he saw Lawson mouth ‘Good boy.’

Warmth filled his chest, those precious words making everything else seem a lot less important. Even if he didn’t always get everything right, Lawson was proud of him for all the little things he managed to work out.

And the big things, like the cafe. His Dom believed in him.

There was no way in hell he’d let him down.

“Yes, Mathew, that would be appreciated.” Jared slid the cup to him, studying his face for a moment, then giving a satisfied nod. “I’m eager to see the cafe. I would have come while you were setting things up, but Jamie informed me you were keeping the final reveal for most of the core for today.”

Ugh, now there’s another reason for me to tolerate the dude.

Maybe he could give Jamie free ice cream for a week. Call things even.

Jamie got that expression on his face that said he’d remembered something and would absolutely explode if he didn’t spit it out right that second. “The mugs! I didn’t mean to spoil the surprise, but now that you know, do you want to see them? I heard you telling Reed you wanted something custom made, but it was out of your budget and...I mean…” He bit his bottom lip, looking uncertain. “If you don’t like them, it’s okay. I’m just really happy for you and...I wanted to do something special.”

Curtis would say some higher power was testing him or some shit. Matt fixed up Jared’s coffee, glancing over his shoulder and using his most pleasant tone. “That was cool of you, Pop Star. I’d love to see them.”

He could play nice. No matter how he felt about the guy, sometimes Jamie wasn’t completely horrible. But he wouldn’t get his hopes up too high, because it wouldn’t take long before the dude reminded him why they weren’t friends, even after all these years.

A guilty twist in his guts reminded him of the one time he’d mentioned the subject to Stephan after Lawson compelled him to see the shrink about the nightmares he’d been having. When Stephan asked him what had happened between him and Jamie to cause ‘the animosity’, all he could do was mumble about a few things that annoyed him.

Like that fake smile he had sometimes. How he threw money around. How him and Noah were like fucking royalty in The Asylum… All right, the whole core kinda was, but it wasn’t the same. It was just...so many little things.

Together, enough to drive him a bit nuts.

“You said you hate him. When you talk about the things he’s done, I don’t hear hatred, Matt.” Stephan relaxed back into his big arm chair, his tone holding no judgment. Just observations and things for Matt to think about. “I hear some competitiveness. Perhaps a feeling like his presence changed a lot in The Asylum for you. You told me about how things were when you first joined. It was just you, Lawson, Curtis, and Reed. Lawson and Curtis’s positions in the club gave you a sense of security, right?”

Matt slumped back in his own chair. It was comfortable, which irritated him. He couldn’t stand all this talking shit. If the room was stiff and uncomfortable, it would fit how he felt about being here. Instead, he had a cute puppy sleeping at his feet, was stuck in possibly the most comfy chair he’d ever sat his ass on, and everywhere he looked, things were...nice. The walls were a peaceful shade of sky blue, The accent rug laid on the light brown wood floating floors he’d helped Curtis put in was like a piece of artwork in flowing shades of blue, relaxing him as he stared at it.

And when he shifted his gaze it was to watch Bram, Stephan’s raven, collecting the coins laid out on the small wood side table and put them in a little box, which popped open to give the bird a treat.

He rubbed his hands on his thighs. “Yeah… I mean, we dealt with some shit—” He pressed his lips shut, then exhaled roughly when Stephan waved off the curse, reminding him those rules didn’t matter here. “But then things were kinda good. Then Wren showed up. And Noah came back. And then fucking Jamie…”

“Wren has caused the most disruption in your life, but you seem to have some sympathy for him. Noah is a Dom and the conflict between him and your own Dom has created a lot of problems.” Stephan cocked his head, calling out Matt’s own issue cards like they were playing a friendly game of ‘Go Fish’. “But Jamie is the one you focus all your anger on. I suspect there’s a deeper reason for that.”

“He’s a pain in my ass. He’s so fucking...superior.” Matt shook his head, grinding his teeth. “You don’t see it. No one does. That fucking smile is like...so fake. And I know it’s all that Hollywood shit, but he’s not there anymore. He pulls it on like a mask and I can see what’s under there. It’s…”

His pulse sped up. He closed his eyes, shaking his head again. Rubbed his sweaty palms against his jeans.

Leaning forward now, Stephan waited him out.

So he sighed, not sure what else to tell the man. “I look in his eyes and something feels off. I just… Can’t I just not like people? That doesn’t make me an asshole, right? Unless… Fuck, I don’t know. I can try to be nicer to him.”

“It doesn’t make you an asshole to dislike someone, no. But your responses to others are your responsibility. If those reactions are not how you want to be perceived, then it’s up to you to change them. And learning what’s causing them is a good first step.” Stephan slipped his hand into his pocket, pulling out two dog biscuits. “Our session is over for today, but I’m giving you homework. I want you to write in that journal you started.” He chuckled when Matt groaned. “Yes, I know it feels a lot like the lines Curtis makes you write, but you’re going to do it anyway. You’re going to be mindful of how you feel when you’re around Jamie. Take note of anything that sticks out. Anything unpleasant in your past that he might remind you of.”

“Sir, no offense, but I came to see you about the nightmares I was having after getting kidnapped and seeing someone I do like getting cut open. Oh, and, you know, seeing dead bodies in the ocean. And sharks.” Matt huffed as he bent down to give Koda one of the biscuits, saving the other for their walk. “I, um, kinda want to talk about Garet, too.”

Stephan inclined his head. “And we will continue to address all that. But you came here and the topic on your mind was Jamie. So the situation is bothering you. I believe, getting to the root of it, will help you in ways you’re not aware of yet.”

Rubbing his hand over his face, Matt went around the bar, slipping up to Lawson’s side to feel his Dom’s strength with the arm he slid around his shoulders. He watched Jamie opening the box, trying to figure out why he’d wasted a whole damn session talking about him. It would be better if he never had to think about Jamie at all when the man wasn’t around him.

Throwing the protective paper and styrofoam popcorn everywhere, Jamie reached into the box, gazing up at him with this hopeful expression that had all that guilt flooding back in. Until he held that green-eyed gaze for a second too long. Then a chill spilled down his spine and he had to force himself to look away.

When Jamie straightened, that fake smile was plastered on his lips and it was like everything was right in the world. The man was exactly who Matt thought he was. Fake. Shallow.

Dangerous.

A white mug was set on the bar in front of him. “Ta-da!”

Does everything have to be a fucking performance with him?

No one was taking pictures. But maybe the core watching and thinking Jamie was wonderful was enough.

Matt eyed the mug, swallowing as he took in his logo on the front. His hand shook a bit as he picked it up. On the inside rim were the precious words Lawson said to him in some of the most impactful moments of their lives. Once when they’d first understood what they meant to one another. Once when he’d been taken away. And...then as part of his vows.

‘All I see is you.’      

His eyes burned and he blinked fast. The worst thing was, it was really cool that Jamie had realized how important those words were. If Reed had done something like this, the intention would’ve meant a lot.

But...he still couldn’t accept the gift.

“I…” Matt couldn’t look at Jamie. Couldn’t pretend. And he couldn’t take coming off like a horrible person to everyone who’d just see a kind gesture. He pressed his face against Lawson’s chest, speaking in a whisper. “Sir, I don’t know how to handle this. Those are our words. They’re not...marketing. I...I need your help. I want to say all kinds of mean shit, but...but it probably isn’t fair.”

Stroking up and down his back, Lawson leaned in to press his lips to Matt’s hair. “I’ve got you, my boy. Thank you for holding back and working through your feelings. They’re not wrong. You are not wrong for having them.” Still holding Matt, Lawson spoke quietly to Jamie. “The mugs are very nice, Jamie. I’d like to keep them, if you don’t mind. I’m not sure they’re a good fit for the cafe, but Reed breaks all my favorite mugs and having a stash would be helpful.”

“Word.” Curtis nudged Matt’s side, a small gesture to let him know his other Dom had his back too. And he was really good at keeping things light. “Got me kinda teary, remembering their wedding and Lawson being all emotional and bearing his heart.” He leaned close to Jamie and Noah, patting Jamie’s cheek. “It’s an awesome gift, a stór. Matt’s too choked up to tell you. And he wants to keep it to himself.”

The dude might not be the sharpest tool in the dungeon, but he wasn’t a fool. Jamie looked from Curtis to Lawson to Matt, then curled up against Noah’s chest. “I fucked up again, didn’t I? I swear, I can’t do anything right. I just… Nevermind.”

“Dude, what the fuck do you want?” Matt pulled away from Lawson, keeping quiet not an option anymore. “They’re nice mugs. I don’t want something that’s...those words…” He pointed at the mug. “If that’s what every stranger is drinking out of? It’s cheap. Meaningless. The things me and Lawson say to each other aren’t song lyrics to put on fucking merch. Clear enough?”

Jamie gave a sharp nod, slipping off Noah’s lap. “Crystal.”

Somehow, the way the man sauntered away dimmed some of the regret lingering in the back of Matt’s mind. There was no way the man had dealt with all the divas in Hollywood without being told ‘No’ once in a while, right?

Or maybe that was the problem. He didn’t fucking know, but right now, he didn’t care. This wasn’t how he wanted to start one of the most important days in his life.

Rising from his stool, Noah stepped forward, calming a bit as Jared put a placating hand on his shoulder. The look he gave Matt was dark, but the one he gave Lawson had a cutting edge. “Deal with this.”

“Noah…” Jared stood, stepping between the two.

“I just did.” Lawson sounded more tired than defensive. He exhaled roughly as Noah strode out of the bar, through the gym doors after Jamie. Then he stood by Matt’s side. “Let’s go, my boy. I know it will be difficult, but set this aside for now. Jamie meant well and you know that. We can discuss this further, try to sort things out, but today is about what you’ve worked so hard for. And nothing will take that away from you.”

Nodding, Matt picked up the mug, his throat tightening. The worst thing was, he really did like it. “I tried, sir. I really did. I...don’t even know how shit always goes sideways with me and him. It just...kinda happens.”

A sharp slap to his thigh had him frowning at his Dom. Which got him another smack before Lawson leaned in close. “Language, pet. And what did I say? Where are your keys?”

Matt gave Lawson a shaky smile. “In the galley. Reed got a whole bunch of fancy keychains that I’m not supposed to know about. I saw him sneak off with them this morning.”

Groaning, Curtis rose from his stool. “Are you sure he has them and didn’t lose them...somewhere in the building?”

I hope so?

“He’s been obsessed with those keychains, I don’t think he’d lose track of them.” Matt held up a finger and ducked into the galley, where Reed was sitting on the floor, coloring in several large white stickers with different colored highlighters. Every container that had been in the cupboards was on every available space around him. And Reed was covered in flour. “Dude, what are you doing?”

Reed glanced up, then scrambled to his feet. “Shit, tell me you didn’t do the opening already? I was just...trying to fix this. I can’t believe I fucked up Curtis’s waffle. I might not be a service sub, but I can feed my Dom. I’m gonna make sure I don’t do that shit again.”

“We’re leaving now, so you’re good.” Matt raked his fingers through his hair. “But you’re going to be stuck in here all day putting this back together. Do you wanna leave it until the cafe is closed? I can help.”

“Nope. I’ll deal with it. Later.” Reed crossed the room, wrapping his arms around Matt and claiming a deep kiss. “This is your day. Period.”

That was...really nice to hear. Also felt a bit selfish, but he didn’t give a damn. If he got stuck in his own head too long, he might, but the conversations he’d had with Lawson, and Curtis, and Reed, kept him from going there. He’d worked hard at The Asylum for years. He gave his spare time to kids at Curtis’s Dojo whose parents couldn’t afford lessons and were part of the local outreach program Tracey had set up.

He got to have something for himself.

His smile was bigger this time as he latched onto Reed’s hand, laughing. “I need those keys you snuck off with.”

For a split second, Reed looked horrified. His gaze swept over the galley. Then he snapped his fingers. “I put them in a big sparkly box so I wouldn’t lose them. Keiran’s idea. I put all the stuff that’s really important in there. Like new recipes and keys and the code for the galley when my brain decides to fuck with me.”

The box had apparently not been assigned one specific place, because Reed went through all the cupboards to find it, but once he did it was obvious why Keiran had suggested it for important things. It was a large shoebox that was liberally covered in sparkles. Probably explained one of the many times Curtis had to clean the stuff out of the drains.

Opening the box, Reed plucked out the keyring. Which now had a few charms with coffee mugs, plush pastries, and one with The Roughhouse Cafe logo. Reed handed it over. “It’s kinda silly, this is what I do so I don’t lose my keys, but I figured it would make it more personal, you know?”

“I love it.” Matt looped the center ring over his finger. “You ready?”

Reed wiggled his brows. “Always for you, my man.”

His best friend was a hot mess, but that was one of the many things he loved about him. It was like getting to live a bit in the sparkly chaos, share that kind of freedom, but also know he had something to offer in bringing Reed back down to planet earth. Kinda like...holding a kite. Only, with Reed, he knew he wasn’t always the one gripping the string. They’d found a really cool balance between them. He could always count on the other man to get exactly where he stood. Come stand by his side when he needed him.

And he needed him now, more than ever.

“I feel...kinda bad.” Matt tipped his head back, staring at the smooth, gleaming white ceiling of the galley. “Like, Jamie did something nice, but it was...all wrong. And Lawson tried to be diplomatic about it, but then Jamie was dramatic and it pissed me off. So I snapped.”

Rubbing his hand over his mouth, Reed didn’t say anything for a few beats. Then he lowered his hand to his side. “That’s kinda just the both of you holding the status quo. But...you do know his whole world was about him getting things right for a long time? I get it’s frustrating, but he’s trying. And I bet once he’s not all up in his feelings and he thinks about shit, he’ll get it. He’s a smart guy.”

Matt shoved Reed toward the door. “I love you, but if you keep seeing people that way, you’re gonna get fucked up.”

“Like I haven’t? Dude, I’ve trusted the wrong people. Jamie’s not one of them.” Reed planted his hand on the door before Matt could open it. “He’s working with what he has. So are you. And eventually, you might see shit’s not so different.” He lifted his shoulders. “We’ll make a shitty parents club. I don’t know why we’ve waited this long.”

The guy was funny. Matt gave the door a half-hearted tug. “Sure. Totally can relate to him. Me living on the streets. You running away from a foster home. And him being pampered in Hollywood.”

“He was a kid. And those people didn’t give a shit about him.”

“But he had food. Somewhere to live. Anything he could ever want.”

“That’s stuff, Matt. It’s not love.”

“Okay, so he’s Orphan Annie. They can write a musical about him.” Matt took a big step back. “Look, I get you like the man. I don’t. And this is one of the things we have to agree to disagree on. Like whether Batman or Spiderman is better. Batman made all that shit himself. He used his money for good. It’s the perfect fantasy because you know real rich bastards don’t do that.”

Reed huffed out a laugh. “Spiderman was a kid with all kinds of responsibilities thrown at him. Powers he had to master. And he cared about the little guy even when he was on his own. You’re all about ‘fuck the man’ so Batman is so not your guy.”

“Again, agree to disagree.” Matt bared his teeth as he moved back in, slipping his hand into the back pocket of Reed’s jeans. He laughed when his fingers touched a lollipop that felt like it had become one with the fabric. “You’re lucky I love you. I should send your laundry to Wren—he’d lose his shit. We’ll see how cool you are with everyone then.”

Making a face, Reed leaned into him. “Be nice. I love Wren, but I’m way too much for him to handle.” He grinned. “He manages Jamie just fine, though. So who’s the real problem?”

“Shut up. handle you.” Matt freed the lollipop and tossed it in the nearby trash. “And you handle me. We gel better than them. It’s a fact.”

“Mhm, well, it’s not a competition. But if you wanna do my laundry, I’m good with that. I’ve heard Lawson grumbling about the sparkles on his suits. I love him, but I hurt him so.” Reed let out a dramatic sigh. “Whatever shall I do?”

Laughing, Matt shoved Reed away from the door. “Let me check your pockets for glitter bombs. And take over the dishes. I’ll put up with waking up with glitter on my face for cuddles from you at night. And Lawson loves it, too. You know that, right?”

“I know. I’m just trying to get you to focus on us instead of them.” Reed leaned against his side as they stopped just outside the door of the galley. “I get it, Matt. I really do. It’s hard not to look at some of the people around the club and be a bit pissed off. Like, they bitch about shit, but they wouldn’t survive half of what we have. Jamie did, though. He’s one of us.”

“Can we talk about glitter some more? How much did you get on me by existing?” Matt turned his face from side to side. “I don’t want my customers to think they’re walking into a strip club.”

Reed snorted, wetting his thumb with his tongue, then swiping it over Matt’s cheek. “Best I can do. And you are aware everyone in Anniston Falls knows your cafe is connected to The Asylum? That’s not a bad thing.”

No, but it was another challenge. One Matt was determined to get past. The Roughhouse Cafe was his alone. It wouldn’t be only members of The Asylum going there, they could get most of what he offered here, so why bother?

The cafe wouldn’t survive on that alone. He needed the locals.

But when the core finally made their way across the street to the cafe, there was no one else around. It was still early, so...maybe that wasn’t a huge deal? He stopped in front of the door, all too aware of all the core members, waiting behind him.

Danny had been very quiet, hunkering down in his huge black ARMY hoodie, but Matt didn’t question why. The gang had made themselves scarce when the whole group had come out, but the other sub had spotted them. The confidence he’d had when he’d been fighting for his Dom? It wasn’t there now.

By Danny’s sides, both Jacks and Shea looked wary. They hadn’t seen the gang, but after all the shit that had happened to Danny when they weren’t around and Rhodey deciding to step in? It was no wonder they were on high alert.

Lawson’s focus was mostly on him, but his phone kept going off. He’d ignored it, but the tension rose every time. His Dom gave so much of his time to others, it was like he hadn’t set any bouderies for himself. And now that he was trying to, he kept those alerts on to punish himself. To remind himself...well, probably that his father hadn’t gotten where he was by having a normal life. And by having one of his own, he was showing a weakness that could be exploited.

Matt knew that, but today? Fuck that dude. He could believe whatever he wanted. When the time came, Lawson would bury him.

The sooner the better.

Despite the exchange earlier, Jamie had come, Noah and Jared close behind him. He kept his mouth shut, which made Matt a bit nervous. If he knew the guy at all, it wouldn’t last. He’d say something fucked up, and Matt would have to be all professional and not react.

This was one of the reasons he avoided The Center. He wasn’t as good at faking shit as Jamie was. Being around all those kids who saw the place as a way out of the fucked up future they had? He wouldn’t smile pretty. He’d set them straight. Life was cruel. It didn’t care how hard you tried. It took more than having a nice voice, or playing an instrument, or dancing, to make it. Most of them were living on dreams he’d woken up from way younger.

But looking up to someone who’d had it all?

It gave them a false sense of hope.

Rhodey’s crew hadn’t joined them, but Keiran had come over and given Matt a hug, and a ‘thank you’ before returning to his spot on guard. With so many core members out in the open, the security had to be tight. Glancing back, Matt spotted Avery and Dallas on the roof. Quint was working at the clinic, but Seth was standing watch somewhere too.

Neither Wren or Pike were anywhere to be seen. So...security was good, but not that good. There were some risk no one was willing to take.

Key in hand, he unlocked the door. The feeling of stepping into his cafe, knowing it would be open to the public, was surreal. Everything he’d imagined.

And everything he’d feared.

Because, while Tracey had spent a lot of time handing out the flyers she’d printed out for him? The gathering of locals he’d been hoping for wasn’t there. It was only his own people.

Not that he didn’t appreciate the support, but...this wouldn’t get him anywhere.

“Wow, this is...really nice, Matt.” Danny walked along the length of the cafe. Past all the gleaming booths with the dark wood table tops Curtis had made for Matt. Along the solid stone tiling he’d spent weeks putting in with his Dom, loving the esthetic—and the lifespan on the warranty. Danny smiled as he picked up one of the gray stoneware salt and pepper shakers Matt had indulged in. “I love these. They go with the artwork. And everything will come together with the uniforms Jacks made for the servers.”

Jacks brushed his hand over Danny’s hair, his gaze more assessing as it pinned Matt than it had ever been before. A lot of the members called him a ‘baby Dom’, but the man had leveled up. “Does your staff already have the outfits I made? I kept things simple, while sticking with the style you wanted. Were the sizes okay?”

“Yeah, the sizes were perfect. But they’re only coming in later today if I call them in. I...didn’t want to get ahead of myself. Some days it might be busy, but I gotta work up to that.” Matt smiled as he went around the bar to his espresso machine. “Anyone want something special? I wrote out the whole menu on the chalkboard, but I might change it if...you know, it’s not what people want.”

Sitting in the stool right near the cash register, Lawson gave him an encouraging look. “Surprise me, my boy. I get one more coffee, so I intend to enjoy it.”

“Good man.” Jared pulled out a stool at his side, then ran his hand over the counter in front of him. “Your boy has your taste in quality. I think many from the clinic will spend time here after enjoying my service.”

Matt got busy taking orders from the core members. Then others who came in. Tay, who gave him a fist bump, grabbing an iced coffee before heading to Sin’s tattoo parlour. Blain, who took his espresso and dropped a doggie biscuit in front of Lawson before leaving, a little hint that they both should be spending time with the more niche parts of the club perfectly clear.

A smile tugged at Matt’s lips when Lawson snapped his fingers at Danny and got the sub to kneel by his side before giving him the treat. In that moment, Matt could see Danny shift from looking out the windows like a really paranoid merc, to giving in to his ‘pupspace’. No accessories needed.

On a ‘normal’ day, Matt wouldn’t want anything close to a scene in here, but since it was only the core, he felt like joining in a bit. Giving Danny what he really wished he could have right now.

He filled a bowl with some whipped cream and handed it over to Shea. “Here. He won’t touch this stuff usually, but in this headspace? He loves it.”

“Thank you, my boy. I know he does. And it’s awesome that you know it too.” Shea reached into his pocket, pulling out Danny’s play collar. “I noticed you have a day one and a play one too, now. He’ll be happy to see that. All the subs he knows are 24/7, but with only one kind of submission. We’re...still learning about all the different approaches. And what works for us.”

Hand going to his collar, Matt took a deep breath. His normal collar was heavy. Had him deep in the submissive mindset without much effort, as intended. This one was a gentle reminder. One he had to work for. And he loved it, but...he wouldn’t mind a leash right about now.

Reality was getting scary. The work Curtis had put in, his investments in the cafe, and Lawson’s, hung over Matt’s shoulders heavier than any collar could. He wanted to pay them back. Or at least bring in someone to make up a contract where shit could be official and they could be investors. Something Lawson had offered to do, but Matt begged him not to.

If his husband took that on too, it wouldn’t matter how much work Matt had put in. None of this would feel like his. He hadn’t had the money to cover it. He didn’t mind a loan, but that was it, no matter how much he loved his husband.

Lawson came from a different world, so he didn’t fully understand. But he accepted it.

As the day passed, he kept himself busy with what he knew were pity orders. Seth came in with Quint at one point, and it was almost a relief. The pastries he’d insisted on buying from Keiran were sold out.

Pike would devour them, so at least nothing would go to waste.

After wiping down the counters, and cleaning up the empty cups, Matt started feeling like this was some kind of really fucked up scene. The only reason it seemed real at all was because the core was here.

The support was nice, but no one came in off the streets. Every face was familiar.

When Dallas came in, Lawson pulled out his phone and shook his head. “Thank you for coming, but I’m going to reschedule.”

Staring at the lollipops he and Reed had made, Matt spoke softly. “No, sir. You don’t need to do that.” He lifted his gaze. “Please. Please don’t stop doing what you need to. Let me do what I need to. I know you believe in me, but...I’ll see it more if you feel comfortable leaving.”

“Matt…” Lawson looked over at the door as it chimed, his lips twitching when it was only Coal, probably coming in because this was the safest place for him to be aside from the fucking club. “I should have insisted on a bigger budget for ads. I’m sorry, I just thought with Tracey talking the cafe up to everyone that you didn’t need it.”

Coal plunked down on a stool. “We put up posters everywhere. There are gang signs on them all now. Everyone’s...freaked out. Auntie Tracey wanted to come, but her doctor told her to rest.”

Standing, Noah exchanged a look with his adopted cousin. “I’m going to go check on her. If your father let you come here, you know what that means. You don’t leave until someone comes for you. Jamie, let’s go.”

Jamie slipped off his own stool, then hesitated. “Sir, if it’s okay, I’d like to stay.” His chin jutted up when Matt groaned. “Rhodey will be happier if I keep an eye on Coal anyway.”

That brought a wry smile to Noah’s lips. “Yes, but don’t hand over your wallet. My ‘cousin’ will take you for all you’re worth.”

Grunting, Coal held up a wallet. “Well yeah, but it’s not in here. His liquid funds are shit. He needs a new sugar daddy.”

A dark frown spread across Noah’s face. “I can take care of my husband, boy. Watch yourself.”

Coal shrugged and tossed the wallet to Jamie. “I love you too, Cuz. And Dad’s right, you’re all soft now. Go do the domestic shit. I’ve got this.”

Coming up behind Coal, Dallas wrapped his arms around the boy, giving him a hug that was a bit of a warning. Matt stilled, a bit worried about the kid. He trusted Dallas, but the man was getting scarier lately.

A stiff smile on his lips, Dallas pulled a few things out of Coal’s pockets. “Fuck soft. If you want in jail that bad, your dad’s pretty accommodating.” He placed Lawson’s watch on the counter. And a pill bottle in front of Jared, who’d been silent until now. “This is not how you get the attention you want, little boy.”

“Don’t fucking call me that.” Coal jerked away, staring at the pills Jared palmed, then shifting his gaze. “I don’t need you fuckers to protect me. Dad taught me good. I can handle myself.”

“Yes, giving them drugs so they will leave you alone.” Jared let out a heavy sigh. “That is not something your father taught you, young man. If you ever want to follow in his footsteps? You will find a better way to alleviate your fears.”

Matt hadn’t wanted the kid around at all in the beginning. He was a reminder of everything Garet might have been if things had gone any worse. But...he understood him. He wanted to impress his father. Stand up to the gang in his own way. Maybe give them something to buy some time. Matt hadn’t given in to that urge, but the temptation was there.

“How about you stay and help me out here. Earn money the right way.” Matt pulled out one of the uniforms Jacks had made for him, for the first time not doubting letting someone in. It was...almost like having Garet here. Giving him a second chance.

And the gratitude in Coal’s eyes made it even more real. “Seriously? Dude, I’m in. I don’t know how to do all this shit, but Aunt Tracey taught me how to clean good. And I’ve got a knife. Dad won’t let me hang out without one. I can gut any fucker who messes with you.”

Not at all what Matt was going for with the young teen. But he just shook his head and smiled. “How about you trade in the knife for a dishcloth and go wash the mugs in the sink. There’s not enough to put on the dishwasher, but they’re gonna drive me nuts just sitting there.”

“On it, dude.” Coal ducked his head when Dallas ruffled his hair, the attitude gone now that he’d been given some direction.

Matt went to Lawson when his Dom motioned him over, breaking the rules and kissing him to cut off whatever he was about to say. “Go, sir. I swear, I’ll call you if there’s anything. I’ve got more security here than they’ve got at the bank. I’m good.”

Smiling against his lips, Lawson nodded. “Yes, you are. I’m sorry the gang has made things difficult, but hopefully the locals will see, in time, that they don’t pose a real threat.”

“I’m not worried about it.” Matt snorted when Lawson arched a brow. “Okay, I totally am, but I’m not ready to panic just yet. And when I get there, I know you’ll calm me down and come up with a plan. I just...want a chance to figure one out on my own first.”

“Then you shall have it.” Lawson’s fingers brushed along his throat, adjusting his new collar. “I’ll see you tonight, my love.”

“See you tonight.” Matt stood in the middle of the cafe as Lawson left with Dallas.

Before long, all of the Doms were gone, except for Shea and Jacks, who’d claimed one of the tables in the corner and were chatting with Jamie. Danny had finished his whipped cream and was out of pupspace. He leaned in a bit as Jamie gestured wildly, his eyes lighting up as he nodded.

Whatever the two were planning, Matt was pretty sure he didn’t want to know.

He wasn’t given a choice though, because suddenly Jamie was on his feet, sauntering across the cafe while Danny used his phone to record him.

Sighing, Matt stepped in front of Jamie. “What the fuck or you doing?”

“Cut.” Jamie made a cutting motion with his hand toward Danny, then faced Matt, his chin jutted up. “It’s called promo. You’re lucky we’re not recording live. Now go behind the counter and do some coffee-making shit. Try to look friendly.” He looked back at Danny. “I think we should start outside.”

“That’s a good idea.” Danny grinned at Matt on his way out the door after Jamie. “He’s really good at this. I know you guys have your issues, but let him help. You won’t regret it.”

Over by Coal, either teaching him how to wash mugs or maximize bubble production in the sink, Reed glanced over. “Their fans won’t give a fuck about the gang. Once the first group comes in, the rest will follow.”

“You are aware there are two Doms in here? Cool it with the swearing.” Shea walked over to the door, folding his arms over his chest as his gaze followed his sub. “Danny doesn’t usually like this kind of stuff, but he looks like he’s having fun.”

Jacks looked up from the book he was making design sketches in. “He likes feeling like he’s part of everything. So does Jamie. Doing this for Matt is very different than stepping into their own spotlight.”

That...made sense. Matt eyed Jamie through the large window, taking in his too bright smile as he slid on his sunglasses, then walked past the cafe as though on a random stroll. He backed up, looking up at the awning. Shook his head, then started over, waving Danny back.

Shea cursed under his breath, striding out. “You’re afraid that your seatbelt might malfunction, but you don’t even look before stepping out on the street? I’m going to give you a beating that will make any from Rhodey feel like love taps if I ever fucking see you do that again, my boy.”

“Shea, there hasn’t been a single car on this road in two hours! And you’re ruining our shot!”

“I can beat you too, Jamie.”

“Fine, sir, but after we’re done filming!”

Snorting, Matt exchanged a look with Reed. “All right, I’ll give him this one. If it’s not a complete disaster, him using his social media might work. And I’ll owe him one.” Recalling his ice cream deal with himself, he groaned. “Or two.”

“That’s my man.” Reed came over to his side, looping an arm around his waist and planting a sticky kiss on his cheek. “Wait until you read the fanfiction his fans will write when they see the two of you together. Beauty and the sexy Barista.”

“Fuck off.” Matt kinda hated that Jamie’s plan was giving him some renewed hope, but he wouldn’t sabotage his own dreams to hold a grudge.

Before long, the video was up. And customers started coming in. A few kids from the center. Then people he didn’t recognize. The line was starting to get bigger. He assigned both Reed and Coal to clearing the tables, fixing up drinks as fast as he could. The scent of roasted beans, rich chocolate, and warm pastries filled the air. A rush of adrenaline filled him as the orders started piling up.

More people. News vans. The street outside was packed.

“Now would be a good time to call in those people you hired.” Jacks came around behind the counter, taking the orders that were coming too fast for Matt to keep up with. “I think Jamie might be a little too good at this.”

“Ya think?” Matt chewed on his bottom lip. “I...hadn’t hired anyone yet. I was planning to, but I wanted to see if I could do it on my own first. I wasn’t...expecting this.”

Rather than call him out for his earlier lie, Jacks gave him a sympathetic look. “You were prepared for the worst. I get it. We’ll all help you out until you get started doing interviews.” His eyes shone with humor. “Want me to ask Jamie to send out another social media blast?”

“Please don’t.” Matt rushed to fill a few to-go cups with regular coffee, serving those out before getting to the more complicated beverages. He looked up, a grateful smile on his lips when he met green eyes through the crowd.

Only...that wasn’t Jamie.

His smile faded, his throat tightening as the gang members got closer.

With how packed the street was, they’d been given the perfect opportunity to get in. No doubt one of Rhodey’s people would be here any minute, but they weren’t here now.

And Matt couldn’t fight his way out of this. That was exactly what the gang would want. To ruin the image of what he was trying to build.

So he did the only thing he could think of. Stared right into those green eyes with a pleasant smile on his lips.

“Welcome to The Roughhouse Cafe.”  

****

PART 6 

Comments

  1. Poor Jamie, it does seem like every time he tries to do something nice for people it goes wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh oh, but Matt has got this, or, he's going to need some more therapy stat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a lot for sure lol I loved it though. Poor Jamie, he's just trying to help :( I hope Matt can handle this one. Yikes

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts