LOVE & STITCHES at The Asylum Part Nine

 

Blessed Samhain, Happy Halloween, and have a great Sunday for those who don't celebrate!

Enjoy!

****

PART 1

PART 2

PART 3

PART 4

PART 5

PART 6  

PART 7

PART 8 

****

It was impossible for Jared to say when his clinic at The Asylum had turned into a subbie day nursery and all-you-can-eat buffet, but sometime between Matt’s arrival and Stephan’s the feat had been accomplished without him noticing. Now, it was entirely too late to change without an intervention by the Anniston Falls Board of Health and Protective Services.

Both of whom I’ll shoot when they walk in the front door, if Rhodey doesn’t get them first.

Chewing on another cookie, Pike made a face as he watched Reed. “How are you eating a cookie with that lollipop in your mouth. Isn’t it gross?”

“You dip your olives in ice cream, you have zero clue what’s gross.” Reed sucked hard on his lollipop, then took another bite. “I have a talented mouth.”

Curtis stole a kiss around the lollipop. “That you do.” He pulled back a bit. “Bath tonight?”

“Yes, sir.” Reed wiggled his brows. “I’ve been wanting to get you naked since you got dressed this morning.”

“Now that’s gross.” Pike swiped one of Reed’s cookies. “Keep it in your pants, Cuz.”

Palming his crotch, Curtis did a Michael Jackson dance move that had Matt snorting. “Ridiculous.”

“That’s not what you say when I pull my...moves on you.” Breaking into a rendition of Thriller that would have Danny clapping his hands over his ears, Curtis ended on a howl.

“Curtis!” Jared clucked his tongue. “Quiet or you need to leave.”

“Second that.” From behind the closed curtain, Avery groaned, his bare feet appearing as he shuffled out of bed. “Is it possible to have a coffee-pot hangover?” He giggled. “I just got it. Coffee pot.” Peeking through the curtain he found Matt. “You’re a fucking genius.”

Shaking his head, Quint crossed the room and picked Avery up. “No you don’t, little one. Back in bed with you, I promised your Dom I’d take care of you.” He carried Avery back to bed, tucking him in. “And you may not have coffee, but I’ll get you some juice. And some cookies.”

“How about a gin and some lasagna?” Fabric rustled. “Hey. You’re kinda hot for a Dommy sub, you know that?”

“I’ll try not to take offence.” Quint sighed. “No, don’t get out of bed again. I will tie you to it.”

“Kinky...” Raising his voice, Avery bellowed, “Keiran! I want lasagna!”

“Jesus.” Jared threw his hands in the air. “This is like working in Anniston Falls General on a Friday night during a full moon.” It was unfortunate that they couldn’t sedate Avery because his system needed to process the drugs. “Lawson, I want to move you upstairs, where things will be quieter. We can keep the line attached, but it’s really not necessary if you don’t mind swallowing the ativan.”

“Not at all.” Lawson slid his legs over the side of the bed, shoving the blankets aside. “I’d be more than happy to be in my own bed. I’m sure I’m perfectly fine now. I appreciate your care and I apologize for worrying everyone needlessly.”

“There are times I wish you were a sub so I could tap your nose.” Steadying Lawson with one hand, Jared waited to let go until Matt and Curtis had positioned themselves on either side of him. “We all know, thanks to our resident mental magician, that mental health needs are as valid as physical health needs.” Walking backward, he kept his eye on Lawson’s gait. “I’ll have someone come upstairs with your next dose. You are not to leave that bed without assistance or for anything other than the bathroom and to stretch your legs for five minutes an hour.” He held open the door. “Are we clear?”

Lawson made an affirmative sound, slowing and clearing his throat. “Yes. I will follow all your orders, Jared. I need to set a good example. But I am starting to wonder why there are so many stairs in this building. This will be very unpleasant.”

“Is this the part where I tell you I put in that elevator at the back behind a secret door?” Curtis grinned at Lawson, popping his brows.

“If you’re joking I will break one rule and beat your ass.” Lawson lowered his brow at Curtis. “I didn’t approve that in the budget.”

“Shuddup and enjoy my renegade nature.” Whistling brightly over his shoulder, Curtis called to Reed. “C’mon, my boy. I’ll have more cookies delivered upstairs by the cookie fairies.”

Reed grinned, giving Pike the rest of his half eaten cookie. “Here, don’t eat it all in one place.”

“Very fucking funny.” Pike shoved the cookie in his mouth. “I’m not sharing my next cake with you.”

“I’m probably making your next cake.”

“I love you, Reed.”

“I know.”

Crooking his finger at Pike, Jared beckoned the sub to follow him. “We have unfinished business.”

That got him a blink. Then a nod. Pike met Quint’s curious gaze. “It’s...umm...for Wren’s birthday. I’m drawing him a...comic book?”

“And as much as I love that you think of Wren—” Jared settled his hand heavily on Pike’s shoulder, meeting Quint’s gaze. “—lying is also a punishable offense, as are swearing, refusing to do as you’re told, and rudeness. All of which I’ll be turning his backside a lovely shade of red for in Lawson’s office momentarily.”

Quint’s lips parted. “Sir, I’m sure he didn’t mean…” He let out a heavy sigh. “Pike, you promised you were going to behave. It sounds like you made an effort to break every possible rule you could think of.”

“No, I promise, I wasn’t thinking at all.” Pike blew Quint a kiss. “I love you. Think of me when I’m gone. I’ll be screaming, so it’ll probably be hot. Don’t jerk off or you’ll get in trouble too.”

Fist on his hip, Jared slanted Pike a long look. “Let’s go. Before you add more than the twenty I’d already counted.”

“Damn. If I’m gonna get in that much trouble, I should find more fun ways to do it.” Pike dragged his feet noisily as he left the clinic with Jared. “How about I make you a deal. Five now and the rest when your hand’s not sore anymore. It’s really you I’m thinking about sparing.”

“Thank you, but I won’t be using my hand.” Come to think of it, he couldn’t remember the last time he hadn’t used an implement of some sort on Jamie’s ass. Wren, he needed to correct so rarely, it didn’t signify. “I believe there’s a thick wooden ruler in the top drawer of Lawson’s desk.”

Pike shook his head. “I don’t like the sound of that. I vote hand.”

“This isn’t a negotiation.” Opening Lawson’s office door, he ushered Pike inside the cool, dark space with a touch to the small of his back, letting him feel the moment in a way he’d remember for a long time to come.

Inhaling roughly, Pike nodded. He pulled off his shirt and tossed it on Lawson’s chair. Sitting on the floor, he took off his shoes and socks. “So is this gonna take a long time? Should I put in my lunch order first or no?” Standing again, he undid his jeans. “Do you want me on the desk?”

“What on earth are you doing, boy?” Tugging Pike to him by his wrist, Jared stared down at him. “It’s a spanking, not a flogging, and I am not having my way with you. Put your shirt and shoes back on and then come here.”

“Ugh, this is gonna hurt even more. I don’t even get a happy ending?” Pike waddled over to grab his shirt. “I always get a happy ending when I accept a good spanking. Are you sure?”

“Completely.” Jared issued the dry response, moving to Lawson’s chair where he pulled out the center drawer to get the ruler.

“But you’d totally do me, right?” Pike looked down at himself, rubbing his surprisingly flat stomach and toned chest. “I’m still all tight and pretty.”

“This is a bare assed spanking, not a beauty contest.” Snapping his fingers, he pointed at the heavy guest chair. “Stomach over the back. Stand on your toes. Hands on the arms of the chair.”

Pike frowned at the chair. “Or over your lap? That’s how this works. Your way sounds uncomfortable.”

“My way...” Jared lifted Pike off his feet, depositing him over the back of the chair and positioning his hands so they gripped the wooden arms. “Stretches the skin of your ass and elongates your muscles so I have more meat to work with and you have less ability to kick without falling on your nose.” He leaned over to look Pike in the eye as he lowered the sub’s jeans. “Basically, it hurts more and gives me more control.”

Blowing out a breath, Pike nodded. “Remind me not to piss you off again. But you’re kinda hot all scary. I get what Quint and Seth see in you. I’m already hard. You hard?”

“Surprisingly...no.” Hiking up, rather than pulling down, Pike’s underwear, Jared exposed the round plumpness of his ass. Holding the cotton in one hand, he noted Quint must’ve dressed him, because the traditional briefs didn’t seem Pike’s style. They made him seem...younger. Ignoring the thought, he laid the thick wooden ruler against the crease in Pike’s thighs where they met his glutes, and set to work with a flurry of five quick smacks.

“Unicorn?” Pike sniffed, wiggling his butt. “I’d like to get down now. I’m really sorry and it’s okay if you don’t find me sexy. I’ll be good and quiet forever.”

Were it only true.

“You don’t safeword out of a spanking here, my boy.” Taking pity on Pike, however, Jared dropped the ruler in favor of his hand. The next five smacks were to each cheek, delivered without restraint, so the chair rocked forward with Pike’s momentum. “Was this what you were asking for?”

“Mhm.” Pike hiccuped, burying his face against his arm. “You have big hands.”

Ah. An intimacy submissive.

Strangely, Jamie never commented on what implements Jared chose. Refocusing on the sub he currently worked over, Jared smacked his sit spots in the same place, until the red of his handprint threatened to become permanent, stopping when he reached twenty. The heat in his hand mirrored the temperature of Pike’s skin.

Gasping in short breaths, Pike whimpered. “Are you starting over because I didn’t count? You didn’t say.” He rubbed his face against his arm. “I can feel my heart in my ass, I think my dick might be totally flat now. Can you check?”

Eyes closed, Jared shook his head, then set Pike on his feet. He indulged the sub in a way he never did, putting his clothes to rights and sat on the chair to pull him into his lap. Sighing, he kissed Pike’s temple, stroking his back. “We’ll do better, no more swearing and making me regret coming down to the bar for my breakfast, yes?”

“Hell yes, sir. I’m not messing with you ever again.” Pike scrubbed at his eyes with his fists. “Mad respect for Jamie and Wren, they’ve gotta have asses made of steel.”

Chuckling despite himself, Jared leaned over to grab a tissue from the box on Lawson’s desk. The glow of the banker’s lamp lit the room in a pool of warm light. “Here. Dry your tears. I need to check on my boys once you’re alright.”

“I’m really not.” Pike wiped his face with the tissue, then burst out crying again. “I want Seth.”

“I’ll bring you to him when you’re ready.” Holding Pike closer, Jared rocked him the way he’d seen Quint do, wondering if he’d lost his own damned mind.

“Only if you two don’t fight. He likes you a lot and I know Quint loves you and it will hurt him if things go bad again.” Pike wrapped his arms around Jared’s neck. “So be cool, okay?”

“If I deliver you crying to the door, how do you think that will work?” Leaning back, Jared raised his brows. “Hmm?”

Pike huffed out a breath. “He’d probably think we F...ed. Probably good we didn’t, he’s not in the mood to enjoy all the details.”

“No. I’m sure he isn’t.” Standing, Jared brought Pike with him, carrying him much like he might Danny. “What is it you boys say? ...I choose life?”

 “I knew you were a smart dude.” Pike rose up a bit, playing with Jared’s buttons and giving him a shaky smile. “Thanks for beating my ass instead of hating me, that woulda sucked.” He looked down. “Oops.”

Jared clucked his tongue. “I think the buttons are off limits. I don’t know how Bizzy doesn’t go around with his clothes falling off him half the time.” He plucked the button from Pike’s fingers to put in his pocket where Wren would find it. “Come, little gremlin. Let’s get you to your Dom.”

The bar was quiet, everyone having either ended up half dead or off working on projects. Scattered. He missed the smaller group they’d formed sometimes—him, Lawson, Noah, Curtis, and Reed, then Matt—back in the day. Except Wren was with them now, and that was good. Jamie too, he supposed, when he thought about the music he created with Danny that made Noah happy. 

Speaking of Danny...

A lump under a blanket beneath the table Jacks and Shea had sat at had Jared pausing. “Is that you, little Despereaux?”

“Yes, sir. Hello, sir.” Danny peeked his head out. “I hope your day’s going better now. From the screaming, I thought Pike was dead, but I can see he’s not. The positive energy worked. I’m still staying under here where it’s safe, though. Shea said I’d get tired of it, but I’m very comfortable.”

“Well, the robot mop will be waking up soon and you need to not get in its way.” Scooping Danny off the floor, he hefted one sub in each arm, feeling a bit ridiculous. It was a strangely pleasant sensation. “I’m delivering you both to your lofts.”

Danny groaned and buried his face against the side of Jared’s neck. “But I bet they’re betting on it and one of them will lose. That seems unfair.”

“It doesn’t count if I made you come back.” Voice echoing in the stairwell, Jared climbed to the third floor, taking the steps two at a time.

“Don’t think about your Doms’ bet, dude. Think about how f’ing hot it is this big tough Dom is carrying us both.” Pike grinned at Danny. “Don’t it make you all f’ing horny?”

Jared snorted, conceding that the cheeky little sprite was growing on him. He should’ve tanned his ass sooner. Strangely cathartic experience. He knocked on Jacks and Shea’s door with his foot.

 “Danny, just come in, I swear, the pin pad won’t electrocute you.” Shea’s voice sounded far away on the other side of the door. “I’m a bit busy!”

Slipping out of Jared’s arms, Danny smiled up at him. “Thank you for carrying me, sir. I wouldn’t say it like Pike, but that was very impressive. I hope there’s no more disasters.”

“As do I, my boy.” Waiting to see that Danny got into his loft safely, Jared hiked Pike higher in his arms

When the door clicked shut behind Danny, Pike shook his head. “How can someone be that sweet? Doesn’t it get boring?”

“No.” Thinking of Wren, and the moments they’d shared last night, Jared absent mindedly pressed a kiss to Pike’s blue mop of hair, continuing up to the fourth floor. “After living with grenades and cluster bombs, I can honestly say I prefer quiet. Despite appearances.”

“Huh.” Pike tugged at something on Jared’s collar. “Well, I gotta admit, he’s got a cute butt. If I was at all Toppy I’d totally hit that.”

Setting Pike on his feet, Jared tipped up his chin with the tips of two fingers. “You have a cute butt too. And...you’re forgiven.”

Pike’s smile grew, lighting up his whole face. “Thanks, sir. You’re a lot nicer than I thought you were, even though you’ve got really big, hard hands that did all the things to me I didn’t want them to. I’ll have some hot dreams. I’m making Quint use your sexcapades as a bedtime story.”

Face heating, Jared reached over Pike’s head to knock on the door so he wouldn’t have to find an answer to a question Pike hadn’t asked. The door jerked open almost immediately, Seth scowling until his gaze landed on Pike. “Pixie.” He opened his arms, relief spilling over his hawkish features. “I missed you.”

“I missed you, too, sir. A lot of...stuff happened. The latest?” Pike jumped up in Seth’s arms, wrapping his arms and legs around him, mock whispering. “I totally made Jared blush. Look at him. Aren’t you proud?”

Seth’s blue eyes met Jared’s. “With you? Always, my sweet prince.”

Annoyance forced a tightness into Jared’s smile. “Good afternoon, Pike. Behave.” He turned away, unsure how long he had before Pike revealed everything else that had gone down between them. “Quint is in the clinic. You can relieve him in three hours if you’re done being a murderous wretch.”

“I’ll think about it, McCleod,” Seth called after him, then shut the door.

Letting out a long breath, Jared took the back stairs down to the pool and cells. Water shimmered, dancing ripples of light across the ceiling. Blue and white tiles along with the natural humidity of the space gave it a Mediterranean feel that the recently added palms emphasized. His footsteps were relatively silent, but not as silent as Rhodey’s, meaning that he knew anyone with merc training would pick up on his presence. And not shoot him.

“Hello?” He gave up trying to guess what or who was behind the cell doors.

“Bad kitty.” Black wings fluttered overhead, Bram swooping down and landing on Jared’s shoulder. “Woof.”

“More animals than a petting zoo.” Jared grumbled, secretly enjoying the bird, who reminded him of his little raven. “Yes, where is my bad kitty, Bram?” He tickled the top of the bird’s head as he’d seen Stephan do. “Both of them.”

The bird’s head tilted all the way to one side. “Koooodaaa… Good boy. Come here. Woof!”

An answering bark came before the puppy bounded out of a room with an open door. Koda rushed at Jared, bouncing around him and licking his hands.

Bram let out a happy coo. “Good birdy.”

Chuckling, Jared settled onto the lounge chair closest to the cells, rubbing Bram’s belly when he put his paws in the air. From behind the door, Jamie’s voice lifted above the minor fray, his tenor tones a quiet rush of sound that signalled he spoke to someone. Head cocked, Jared listened to hear if it was Noah who would answer.

“Yes, sweet boy, I am giving Noah a different treatment, but Rhodey’s been working with him for years. I won’t contradict his methods unless they’re harmful to Noah. And a few days of restricted movement will not harm him. You’re welcome to spend as much time down here as you’d like and see him.” Stephan sighed. “No, I will not lock you in with him.”

“I’m sorry, sir. I had to try. You know that right? I’m responsible for him. I need to be able to say I took some ignition.” Jamie’s tone was level. “But I know you’ve got a lot of other people to work with, and I’ll make sure to stay out of your way. It’s nice and quiet down here.”

Stephan made a thoughtful sound. “You feel your husband is your responsibility? I’d like to hear more about that. In what way?”

Jared could almost see Jamie’s shrug when his boy answered. “I’ve got a lot of advantages, and a good life. I know that someday I’ll have to take care of a lot of things. Wren, maybe Danny, if something happens to Shea. And Reed if Lawson and Curtis die. So, definitely my husband, you know? I have to adult.”

“I see. Do you worry about all those you consider taking care of those tasks now dying a lot?” Stephan made a sympathetic sound. “That is a great deal to take on. And to look at those you love and feel they need you to assume that role.”

“Jared can’t do it alone.” The sound of a shoe scuffing a rug brushed the air. “And I know I look selfish, but I’m not trying to be. I get distracted sometimes, and I try too hard to take control when I shouldn’t, but I’ll figure out the right lines. I have to make sure I keep things stable for Wren and Noah. I just wish...” Jamie’s voice broke a little, and he cleared his throat. “I wish I was already good at it. Sometimes I don’t know if I’ll ever be.”

“Do you perceive yourself as selfish or do you believe others see you that way?”

“Both?” Jamie’s lilt signalled a head tilt. “I don’t think of things I should, and I get distracted and worry people when I don’t come home on time.” He laughed a little self-consciously. “And sometimes I want to drive so fast. Just feel like I’m flying and...it makes me forget. But it’s wrong.”

Stephan clucked his tongue. “Wrong or dangerous? And who decided that? Take a moment before answering, I believe this is important.”

The rhythmic scuffing sound of Jamie’s sneaker against the carpet reached Jared in the pool area, and he knew he should leave to give Jamie privacy, but for some reason he didn’t move. Instead, he listened to Jamie’s gusty exhale, and his halting answer. “I... Worrying people is wrong? And Noah says it’s dangerous. I don’t like getting my feet caned either. It makes him feel crummy.”

“I can absolutely see how that would be very unpleasant. But after, how do things like that make you feel? The rules. The punishment. That people care enough to worry?” Stephan’s tone held both interest and encouragement, as though any answer would be a good one.

There was a longer silence this time before Jamie answered, his voice much quieter so Jared found himself leaning toward the door to hear. “I love it. It makes me feel safe. Wanted. Someday...I’ll make Jared proud and he’ll love me for me and not for Noah.”

“You remember what I told you last time? Many of the things we tell ourselves are not true. Both about ourselves and others. For your homework, I want you to add to your video diary. You’re going to choose five of the people you’re closest to and do a video about your thoughts on them. It can be anything, have fun with it.” Stephan let out a soft laugh. “Make up a funny song about them. But then you’re going to speak to each of them and see if you can learn how they respond to some of the things you assumed. How they answer questions. How you feel around them. Then make another video based on what you’ve learned.”

“I can do that. I won’t do Noah or Jared though. They’d be annoyed if they knew what I think they think about me.” Jamie made a small sound that wasn’t quite a sigh. “I already know what Jared thinks of me anyway. He tells me. He’s good that way. Clear lines. He doesn’t feel guilty about them either. And it helps me to make Noah happy without having to worry him with questions.”

Hearing his own name again, Jared stood and moved away from the door to the other side of the pool to give Stephan and Jamie privacy. It was another few minutes before the door opened and Jamie came out. Bram flew from Jared’s shoulder over the pool to Jamie, Koda following.

Leaving the question of Noah aside for the moment, Jared brought Jamie upstairs with a promise to Stephan to, “Be right back.”

“Can I bring a blanket and pillow downstairs in case I can see Noah?” Inside their loft, Jamie skirted around the toys L.D. had torn apart and left dismantled all over the living room. “I won’t be in the way, I promise. I can come up here too, for Wren when you’re at the clinic. And just sleep down there?”

“Come here, my boy.” Jared held out his arms, doing his best to provide some comfort when Jamie stepped into his embrace. “I know I’m a poor substitute, but I need you up here. For some normalcy. For Wren and for you. Being downstairs will only distress you and Noah.” He brushed his fingers through Jamie’s soft white tufts. “I know it’s difficult, but we need to pull together. So he knows we’re alright when Rhodey asks.”

Jamie worked his jaw, looking away. “Yes, sir.”

Bringing Jamie to the bedroom, Jared hoped to find Wren comfortable, but found instead an empty bed and a note.

It read, “Thank you for letting me know you would be away, sirs. I tidied up and saw the clouds. It may snow shortly, I am going to the roof to enjoy it. I hope you’ll join me when you return. All my love and kindest regards, Wren.”

Outside, the day had darkened to near-night with the storm, the trees in the park whipping in little circles. The crack of thunder they’d been unable to hear in the basement sounded close. Too close. Leaving Jamie in the bedroom, Jared spun, determined to get to his boy before he was thoroughly soaked. Or electrocuted.

How he could live in a place with so many others and feel alone, struck him as funny when he pushed open the door to the roof. Cold wind and rain drove sideways, spattering his face as he shouted against the storm. “Wren!”

“He’s right here, my man.” Standing beside Wren, holding his leather jacket over Wren’s head, Rhodey looked over his shoulder at Jared. “Dallas let me know he’d come out. I sent him to stay with Avery and came up to check on him. Your boy would enjoy terrible weather.”

“Of course he does. He’s smart.” His voice rose over the storm. Looking out over the storm-blackened city, Jared gave in and let the rain soak through his clothes into his skin. “Thank you for looking out for him.”

“Any time.” Rhodey chuckled, looking down as Wren held out his hand. “The fresh air is good for him, anyway. But he’s not going to turn this into snow, no matter how many wishes he makes on the raindrops.”

Wren shook his head, then turned and walked to Jared, wrapping his arms around him. “Good evening, sir. I am not wishing, I’m testing the temperature. It is almost cold enough.”

Barely feeling the chill, Jared snugged Wren closer, turning him so they both watched when a jagged lightning bolt struck the lightning rod on Anniston Falls’ tallest building downtown. “Do you think it’s enough voltage to bring it to shambling life like Dr. Frankenstein’s monster?”

“Not quite, but if that were possible, I would definitely try it.” Wren grinned up at him. “We shouldn’t stay out much longer, it would be bad for us to get sick. I need to make sure to have the table set and see what everyone would like for dinner. I asked Keiran to make those dumplings Jamie loves.”

“That’s my good boy.” Kissing Wren’s mouth upside down, Jared noted the chill on his lips. “Run downstairs and take a comfortably hot shower, love. And by run I mean walk.” He sent Wren on his way. “I’ll be right there.”

Wren inclined his head. “May I bring Jamie with me?”

“Yes, love.” Jared squeegeed the water off his face with his hand, for all the good it did him. “And I expect you both to get up to no-good while doing so.”

Hesitating, Wren gave Jared a wide-eyed stare. “Yes, sir. I’ll let Jamie know...I was just going to wash his hair. And his back. But...is everything all right?”

“It will be.” Pointing at the door, Jared nudged Wren in that direction. “Nothing we haven’t handled before.”

Once Wren disappeared inside, Rhodey gave Jared a sideways look and dropped his jacket over Jared’s shoulders. “What is it?”

Though he didn’t acknowledge Rhodey’s gesture, Jared embraced it to hide from his more turbulent and lasting internal storm.

“I don’t care how you do it.” Staring out over the city, Jared braced his hands on the stone bulwark around the building’s edge. “I want him home, in his bed, tonight. I don’t care if it’s a straightjacket or chains. He is with the people he loves from now on. Please don’t argue with me on this. I need him close.”

Rhodey exhaled roughly. “I’ll tell him, but I don’t think it’ll change anything. He doesn’t trust himself. He said he needs to earn it back by doing this. And hell, this wasn’t even one of his worst ones. Everyone was still breathing.”

“And being in a cell did him so much good last time right?” Raising his voice over the wind, he braced himself against a stronger gust. “So let’s keep doing that. Dehumanizing him until there’s nothing left for him to use to react to anything at all.”

“Are you listening to me?” Rhodey leaned in close. “I gave him the choice. Stephan talked to him, worked him through it. I figured he’d want to come home. Instead he’s hiding in his cage. I guess I can drag him out, but I thought that might not help much. I could be wrong.”

“How does one earn anything back through hiding?” If Noah needed to be away from them all, it would make sense. Hell, Jared wanted to run too after the morning he’d had, but that wasn’t an option. He found himself spewing nonsense when his mouth opened again. “I never should’ve left you with him and joined the military.” After all these years, the name refused to leave his tongue. “I’m sorry I did that to you. I never would’ve met Seth and Quint, and this wouldn’t have happened. I would’ve had your back.” 

“I don’t regret my life. I love what I have with my men. I went through shit to get here. That’s life.” Rhodey shrugged, taking something out of the pocket of his jeans. “But I’m done trying to manage his. He’s better. Not perfect, but who the fuck is?” He pressed the key into Jared’s palm. “Good luck. And have Wren oil that jacket. It’s my favorite.” Smirking, Rhodey adjusted the leather over Jared’s shoulders, then leaned in, giving him a solid kiss on the lips, hard enough to leave a bruising pressure along with a warmth in the dampness. “I’ll be around, picking up all the toys.”

“Let me know if you ever figure out what that was in the ones that don’t fall down.” Jared licked his bottom lip, enjoying the taste of rain and Rhodey. “We could use some of those.”

Rhodey grunted, giving him a nudge toward the door. “All kinds of stuff, but we keep ‘em instead of taking a hammer to them now.”

Who says old dogs can’t learn new tricks?

Clutching the key in his palm, Jared intended to find out.

****

 

To keep up to date on all the happenings with The Asylum Fight Club, sign up to the newsletter HERE: https://www.subscribepage.com/j4m0q5 

There's also a new twitter account: https://twitter.com/asylumfightclub

And tons of socials where you can find info on the core! Keep an eye out for all the links so you never miss a thing!

As always, comments are welcome and spoilers can be discussed in the spoiler group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/244198880244923 

  Have and amazing week!

 

Comments

  1. I need more of high Avery. He’s usually so serious (understandably) so this side of him is hilarious

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope Jarad can pull Noah out of his funk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how Rhodey is taking care of Wren and also Noah. And i feel for Jamie, he is feeling to responsible for a lot of people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The start of this had me cracking up. Poor Jared having to herd cats

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts