LOVE & STITCHES at The Asylum Part Twenty-Three

 

Since you were left hanging with the last part, let's get right too it!


****

PART 1

PART 2

PART 3

PART 4

PART 5

PART 6  

PART 7

PART 8 

PART 9

PART 10 

PART 11

PART 12

PART 13 

PART 14

PART 15

PART 16

PART 17  

PART 18

PART 19

PART 20

PART 21

PART 22 

****


The noise of the club was deafening, like Danny had been dragged into the middle of a fight, half his vision stolen by darkness. In the bar, which was strangely empty, he was sat at the edge of a booth, propped up on a table. At least he was out of the dungeon. Bad things happened in there.

When he was helped to his feet again, he could make out Pike from the corner of his eye. The one eye that could still see. “Were you in the dungeon? We’re not allowed in there. I know why now.”

“Yeah, I bet.” Pike secured Danny’s arm over his shoulders, supporting him. “One of the misfit subs said Pauly sent you to the dungeon to look for Lawson. I didn’t want you to get in shit, so...yeah. I kinda shoved my way in there. But then some fight went down in the ring and everyone took off. Except Blain and a few other decent people. He still had to watch over some scenes that were wrapping up, but I reminded him I’m with two docs and I’d get you to one of them.” The wind slapped Danny’s face, drawing a whimper as they stepped out of the club. Pike drew him a little closer to his side. “The gym is jam packed, so I can’t get you to the clinic here. But I can bring you to the one across the street. Seth works late a lot. I’m hoping he’s still there.”

Danny gripped Pike’s arm hard, almost slamming his shoulder into the gate once the other sub tapped in the code to get them through. His guts twisted, but nothing came out when he wretched over the sidewalk. “You’re not...supposed to leave the building. I’ve already screwed up so much, I don’t wanna put you in danger too.”

Shaking his head and rubbing Danny’s back, Pike set his eyes on the dimly lit sign of the clinic across the street. “It’s not far. And...you don’t look good, man. If you need me to carry you, I can probably do it for a bit. You’re not heavy. But...I’m not my cousin. He’d have you there already. Just...tell me if you can’t do it anymore. I’ll get you there, I fucking swear.”

“One of the rules here. Subs don’t swear.” Danny tried not to lean too heavily against Pike’s side as he managed a few decent steps. “Why…? You hardly know me. Why even bother? I got myself in my own mess.”

Quiet for a bit, Pike focused on half carrying Danny across the side street. “Because you’re one of the good ones. And I really wanna be. This seemed like the right thing to do.” He turned a bit, pressing something cool over half of Danny’s face. “That don’t look good. What were you trying to do in there anyway? You never go to the dungeon unless you’re cleaning when the place is closed.”

“I needed to get Lawson.” One eye widened, the other twitching in a way that felt like his face had caught fire under the cold cloth. “Jared...he went after Curtis. He’s so mad and...I don’t want him to hurt Curtis. He’ll feel terrible. I thought telling him about Wren’s orders would help, but...it really didn’t. You should go to Curtis. Or find Lawson. Or—”

Pike shook his head, giving him a sideways look. “You don’t think much of me if you think I’d leave you like this. Curtis can handle himself. He’s an O’Rourke. And Jared’s a smart dude…” He cursed under his breath, picking Danny up and half dragging him to the shadows along the side of the large building that made up the General Clinic where all The Asylum doctors spent a good half of their days. A roar of engines explained the sudden tension in Pike’s whole bearing. “That’s the gang. Fuck, I shoulda grabbed a gun or something. Keep your head down, I’ll deal with them.”

Grabbing Pike’s wrist before he could step into sight, Danny swallowed back a wave of nausea. “Stay with me. There’s no reason for them to know we’re out here. I think you need to keep me awake. If I fall asleep, I...I don’t know what will happen. Tell me...something happy. A...good memory.”

For a few seconds, it looked like Pike was still gonna go out there and try to prove something by facing off against the gang alone. Instead, he slid down to sit at Danny’s side. “My mom was… Okay, she was pretentious as fuck and it took me a lot of sessions with Stephan to really see it. But there were some good things. Or...kinda good. There was this one time, I was about seven. My mom had me all dressed in this little suit. We went to a museum, like always. I hated the polite talk and having to be all...I was like a doll she took out sometimes. Then it was normal and meant she loved me. Now I look back and it was...fucking fucked up, man. Anyway, all the women she hung out with found out the son of one of their friends, who’d been sick for a while...he died. I’d never met him. His mom didn’t bring him anywhere.”

Danny’s throat tightened as he pictured how it must have been for Pike. Which was much too easy. Not the same as him and Jamie, but close enough. They’d been paraded around from the minute they were old enough for their faces and talents to make a profit.

“In this big fancy room, all the rich ladies were ‘sharing their condolences’ and I kinda went off on my own. Not gonna lie, I was looking for a snack. My mom liked me eating all the fancy, small food. And my dad? He… Until she was gone and he kinda hoped he could make me into something worthwhile, he didn’t give a shit. Once he did, he liked keeping all the important stuff away to ‘keep me in line’. Either way, I learned to sneak a few bites when I could. It’s a lot more fun now and...anyway, I know you’ve got your own issues with this shit. People can be fucked up with kids. Stephan said that, straight out, when I told him he didn’t get it. He...really does.” Pike let out a soft laugh. “Anyway, so good memory. The cook, who’d been with the kid more than his mom and was wrecked over losing him, for real? She saw me and just...asked if she could hug me. She made me all his favorite snacks. She held me for a bit, then brought me to his room. Tucked me into his bed and gave me one of his favorite plushies. A little raccoon. I hugged it and...pretended she was my mom for a bit. I was a silly kid, so don’t judge.”

Danny shook his head, then pressed it back against the bricks to make everything solid again. “I’m not. She sounds like how I think my mom was. But I don’t remember her much. Anyway, keep going. Did you...get to stay for a bit?”

Smiling, Pike nodded. “I’m not sure if my mom forgot I was there or if she just figured the staff was dealing with me. That happened a lot at home. We had all kinds of maids and cooks, but most of them were mean. This woman, though, Patrice. She was...the perfect fantasy. She dressed me up in his clothes and let me play with all his toys. She called me his name a few times… Shit, it was...James. But don’t make it weird and tell Jamie. I don’t like, mix them up or anything. But, for a little bit, I got the life I’d always wanted. I got to just be a kid. I took the raccoon home with me. Put it on the shelves with all my expensive teddy bears. It...disappeared after a few days. But I’ll always remember it.”

As hard as it was to move, somehow, Danny managed to hug Pike. And whisper in his ear. “You know you can still have that, right? The life you always wanted? There’s no one to stop you anymore. You don’t have to be anyone except...you.”

Pike inhaled roughly and nodded. “Yeah, I get that. But...dude, you’re bleeding. How are you not telling me all the bad things that are gonna happen?”

“I...don’t know. When I’m thinking about other people, it’s...like I can put that aside. Or when I’m in pupspace, but that’s different.” Danny stiffened as the roar of engines came close again, headlights sweeping along the sidewalk as a dozen bikes raced by, never slowing. “I shot a man to protect Shea and it didn’t hit me until after. But I don’t regret it. I just wish...I could be that way all the time.”

Face half hidden in shadow, Pike gave him a sideways look. “Why? If you can do it when it matters, the rest of the time you get to...be a bit fragile. And need...whatever the people who love you can give. That’s how I see it. If I tried to be big and tough all the time, I don’t think I’d be the me Seth and Quint love. I’d be...who my dad wanted me to be. Who Karliene did. And...I’m good at surviving. I like not having to do it on my own. Not having to be something fake. I’m getting to know the real me and...I like him. Even though he’s clumsy and messy and a huge brat. It’s just...me.”

Danny smiled and nodded, the pain fading a bit as a chill crept over him. He shivered, tucking himself closer to Pike’s side. “I like you, too. And this makes me think about when I was on Broadway. I had to learn a whole different side of myself. Not who I was expected to be, that was gone. Sometimes, it was scary, but...it was so much better. Then I came to The Asylum and it was like...meeting people who gave me...so much space. Jacks put me on his shoulders that first time and...even when I’m crawling, it’s like I’m that high up, all the time. Shea was there for this whole staged relationship thing with Ashley, one of my closest friends, and I knew I’d never have to face anything alone again. When you find your people, it’s...the whole world changes. And those fantasies? Aren’t so far off. You get them. You can give them. It’s...wonderful.”

“It really is.” Pike gave the cloth he held over Danny’s eye a worried look. “Dude, I...I wanted to take care of you like Quint would, but...you’re bleeding a lot. And...now we’re stuck out here. I don’t know what I’m supposed to do.”

Now that one was easy. Feeling a bit lightheaded, Danny put his hand over Pike’s. “Call your Dom. He gets to have the answers and you...don’t always have to. Not anymore.”

Pike’s cheeks reddened. like he was a bit embarrassed for not thinking about it himself. He slipped his phone out of his pocket, holding it where Danny could see it with his one good eye.

Sir, I’m kinda...stuck outside. I tried bringing Danny to the General Clinic and...well, the gang is out having joyrides. And...I won’t ever say this again, but I’m kinda scared. Danny’s eye looks real bad. And the gym was packed. And...I’m sorry if I made the wrong choice. I love you. Please help.

There were tears on Pike’s cheeks as he tucked his phone away. His tone went rough. “I did that for you. If you were fine, I wouldn’t have...my dad woulda shot me for being that weak. And I’m not. I’m...fuck, I’m not.” His voice broke. “I can’t be.”

“You’re not. But you can be.” Danny pulled the younger man in close, wishing someone had been here like this for him when he’d had this exact moment. One where he had to face that those he’d trusted wouldn’t step up. But he needed someone to. And that someone had been Ashley. And maybe, because of her, he could be someone else’s someone now. “Those people who weren’t there don’t get to ruin things for the ones who are now. You wanna help me? I get to be that person for you, too.”

Doubling up the cloth over Danny’s eye, Pike nodded, his tears falling faster. “Okay, deal. But not a lot of shit scares me. Mostly dogs. And now you bleeding and...I brought you out here, alone, and I can’t fix it. I’m sorry. I should have...I don’t know. There was no one. I thought I could find someone and...please be okay. Please don’t be someone else I lose because I fucked up. I can’t...I can’t do that again.”

At night, with the blinding security lights shining over the Asylum’s metal fence, shadows outside their glow seemed thicker. Darker. Which made home seem like an oasis they couldn’t reach. It also meant there was no way to see if Seth was coming to their rescue. Which would’ve been really good about now because a few of those roaring engines came closer, slowed, and pulled into the General Clinic’s parking lot. Laughter and shouts came from one of the vehicles, a muscle car with twin tailpipes and a custom red paint job with flames licking across doors that were probably welded shut. Doing donuts, tires squealing, the car chased a motorcycle, the rider leaning as he emulated the maneuver.

Shrinking back into the shadows, Danny’s back hit something hard. 

Warm. 

And alive...

A large hand popped over Danny’s mouth, one strong arm around his waist, muffling any sound he might’ve made. “Shh... I’ve got you, little mouse.”

Dallas.

“Take him and Pike. I’ll cover you.” Seth’s voice, a little less deep but with a whiskey drinker’s gravel, came quietly from further in the shadows. “If you skirt the perimeter fence where the security lights don’t touch closer to the park, that’s your best option. Not the quickest, but those idiots likely won’t see you.”

“Who exactly do you think trained me?” Dallas’ tone was a paper-thin blade of worn patience and razor sharp tension. His broad palm that covered half of Danny’s face without trying lowered from Danny’s mouth. “You and I are going to have a talk about better judgment and all that.”

The urge to break into relieved sobs and hug Dallas almost overwhelmed Danny, but he didn’t want to put the man or Seth or Pike in danger. Taking over with the cloth to make it easier for Pike to move safely, Danny gave Dallas a shaky smile. “I hope it will be a very long talk, sir. I wouldn’t even mind being locked in one of the cells for it. For a week or two. A safe, cozy cell.”

Pike let out a little growl. “No one’s fucking locking you up.”

“Quiet. Both of you.” Seth crouched, bringing Pike down with him, an arm around his boy’s waist, as the muscle car swung toward the side of the building.

The driver shouted out the open window. “One to shoot out the most windows gets a six pack!”

“Fuck.” Dallas moved into a vestibule, pressing his body against Danny’s behind a lip of brick that wasn’t nearly large enough to shield them both, before gunfire sounded, the glass in the door exploding by Danny’s left shoulder. 

Heavy boots fell on the pavement, noisy but familiar. Followed by a voice that made no effort not to be heard by the gang. “How many of you do I need to bury before you understand how much of a bad idea it is to target what’s mine.” A shot rang out, one of the gang members crying out and the muscle car swerving. “That was a warning shot. Next one goes in your head. Now get the fuck out of here. I really want to play with my new grenades, but it’ll make things messy.” Bouncing a grenade in his hand like he was about to play catch with the gang, Rhodey looked over his shoulder at Dallas. “You better have worn protection or I won’t be happy with you. Get moving. Seth and I will cover you.”

Dallas’ grimace answered that question. Grabbing Danny around the waist, lifting him into the crook of one arm, he did the same with Pike. The motorcycle peeled out of the parking lot, popping a wheelie, its rider issuing some sort of rallying cry as Dallas broke into a run. Engines roared to life a few blocks away. Moving faster, Dallas took the line straight across the parking lot, somehow keeping them low and fast at the same time. 

At the gates, Keiran was waiting, his expression hard as he held them open for Dallas. He watched the streets, his gun trained on the motorcycle. His first words weren’t for any of them. “No, don’t shoot, I’ve got them. And I’m gonna need cuddles when we get in. And chocolate. And a shower because I’m fucking disgusting.” He pressed a quick kiss to Dallas’ cheek as he passed. “How bad is it, sir? We’re running out of doctors. And Doms.”

“Maybe that’s why we had the two-for-one sale on new memberships tonight.” Returning the kiss, Dallas shook his head very slightly when he pulled away. “Unless someone’s bleeding out, our little mouse needs them more.”

“Mhm.” Keiran looked Dallas over, then took Pike from him like he was extra baggage the two were transporting while having an adventure where there were a lot of things to shoot at. “At least Rhodey’s back to fill in. And even if he won’t admit it, he likes patching us up himself.”

“Why? I’m not hurt...” Pivoting midway across the parking lot, Dallas looked Keiran over. “Are you hurt? Where? What happened?” Panic edged his voice, then a growl as a few more gunshots sounded, a hell of a lot more cars racing into the lot next door and likely pinning Rhodey and Seth. “Fuck—”

“I’m not, sir. I just heard Rhodey’s comment about protection and I thought—” Keiran ducked, bricks spitting down over their heads. “Those bastards are getting bold. The blood’s not mine, Trevor was…” He glanced at Danny, then trailed off, his expression falling. “Oh, dulzura, what the hell happened to you? Sir—” He let out an irritated sound, putting Pike down and striding forward, taking out the bike driver mid-swerve, so the gangster did an elegant flip through the air, his bike sparking along the street as it went on without him. “We’re having a conversation here. Asshole.”

“I’m getting ready to switch professions.” At Keiran’s questioning look, Dallas pointed in the direction of the apartments where most of the gang lived and hung out. “Exterminator. That’s a fucking roach motel and it needs a flamethrower.” Clutching Danny to him, he took Pike’s hand, leading them toward the side door to The Asylum’s clinic. “Getting really tired of the arguments about the sanctity of life and second chances and what people might choose later down the line.”

Keiran’s brow furrowed, even as he nodded a bit, backing with them, but not going in until both Rhodey and Seth came into view, Rhodey pulling the gates shut behind them both. He seemed to breathe a bit easier as silence fell, all the gang members who’d been racing around and shooting at things either dead or gone...hopefully somewhere far, far away.

Tugging at Dallas’ sleeve, Pike stared up at him. “I’m the one who brought him outside. I thought… I couldn’t get through the gym. I fucked up. You can’t blame him for this. I’ll take whatever punishment my dumbass move deserves, but...I ain’t gonna let you hurt him. He’s already fucked up.”

“What on earth makes you think you’d be punished for trying to take care of your subling?” Dallas’ brown eyes warmed with his concern, his palm cupping Pike’s cheek to swipe a thumb under his eye. “You protected one of our own. Nothing bad will ever happen to you again as long as I’m above ground.”

Pike swallowed hard, gazing up at Dallas like he really wanted to believe him. “I’m not supposed to leave the club. I knew the consequences…” His shoulders dropped, his defensive stance practically melting away. “I’m so glad you showed up, sir. Really really glad. That was...shit.”

“Let’s get our little mouse taken care of and then we can talk. I’ll listen all about it.” Hefting Danny a little higher in the crook of his arm, Dallas leaned forward to press a soft kiss to Pike’s lips. “Good boy.”

Seth’s cough registered behind them, the Dom stepping up to their little group. “I know he’s adorable when he’s all heroic, but hands off my sub, merc.”

“You snooze, you lose.” Chuckling through his response, Dallas straightened, yanking open the clinic door.

There shouldn’t be anything funny about the whole thing, but Danny giggled, tipping his head a bit so he could make out Dallas’ face, then Seth’s. “There’s a kiss toll for daring rescues, sir. I’ll give you one, too. All the kisses for everyone. Thank you for not letting them turn us both into swiss cheese. That would’ve hurt. And Pike’s too cute to die.”

Pike groaned, holding up his arms to Seth even as his bottom lip quivered. “I’m so fucking sorry, sir. And now I want cheese.”

Sweeping Pike up into both arms, pressing him close with one hand behind his head, Seth let out a contented groan. “All the cheese you want, my daring pixie. I’m sorry I wasn’t there for you. Please forgive me. We’ll work something out so either Quint or I is around when you need us. Even if I have to pay some merc doctor’s salary to fill in the holes in the schedule.”

“You don’t gotta do that, sir. I knew you’d be there, I just kinda...acted first. My brain caught up after. When Danny reminded me it was there.” Pike spoke against Seth’s chest, then lifted his head, his eyes going wide. “Danny… That fucker sent him to the dungeon to get Lawson, but Lawson’s been in his office most of the night. I’m gonna kick his ass. I don’t know what Danny got hit by, but it looks...nasty. I got a...clean cloth for him. Let’s never play doctor, I ain’t a fan.”

Seth stepped into the clinic exam room, along with Dallas and Danny, the number of voices saying everyone in the entire Core was there already. “Well, it looks like you’re going to have to tolerate a few pokes and prods.” Lips slanting, Seth winked at Pike. “Besides. You like it when I play doctor with you.”

“What the hell happened tonight? The Four Horsemen rode through town and everyone decided they needed saddle sores and tried to hitch a ride?” Dallas looked for a place to place Danny. “This boy needs you, Seth, and you’re talking about prostate exams and telling your boy to open and say ‘ah’. Get your fucking priorities straight.”

Quint glanced over from where he seemed to be checking on Jared—the apocalypse really had come to The Asylum—eyes narrowing. “Don’t talk to him like—” His gaze snapped to Danny. “Jesus, what the hell happened to you? Bring him…” He gave the full beds a helpless look.

“Right here.” Lawson rose to his feet, his expression darkening with concern. “I’ll go handle closing up the club. Someone keep me updated. Matt, with me.”

“No.” Turning serious, Seth shook his head, gaze lifting Lawson’s chart. “Matt...you stay here with your Dom. Drew, Tay, Reed...will be on cleanup. Avery and Shea on the roof.” He pressed two fingers to his ear like he listened to or communicated with someone—probably Rhodey. “Everyone who is injured or already in here, get comfortable. We’re going to need some calm and some time.” He glanced at Keiran. “And food for my boy...and everyone else.”

That got him a quick nod, Keiran brushing his hand over Danny’s hair as he paused by his side on the way out. “You’re safe now, dulzura. I’ll come see you in a bit.”

Nodding back at him, Danny inhaled roughly, trying to take in the whole clinic, but there were so many people he couldn’t focus on any of them. He shivered, wetting his lips with his tongue, tasting pennies, like he’d been punished by holding them against the wall with his mouth, rather than his nose. “I probably just need some ice… But I don’t want any food. Not to be difficult, but I don’t...feel good.”

“Hey... Wow.” Slipping up to Quint’s side, Jamie spoke softly. “That’s gonna look really butch with an eye patch while you heal. Did I accidentally hit you or something when I was beating Trevor’s face? I’m sorry.”

“Not unless it was when you were swinging around that knife.” Quint inspected Danny’s eye, only half of him visible, but the way he shook his head came through in his voice. “This isn’t clean enough for a knife wound. Do you know what you were hit by, Danny? I’m going to give you a shot to numb the pain and bring down the swelling. Sir, we’re going to need to bring someone in. This is...it’s out of my specialty.”

Jared joined them, moving stiffly, one hand pressed to his ribs. He made a soft sound of agreement. “We’ll need an eye surgeon for you, little Despereaux. I’m so sorry I put you in the position of needing to rescue me. That won’t happen again.”

“You didn’t, sir. I...I was just trying to get to Lawson. Pauly said he was in the dungeon.” Danny shrank down when Lawson’s attention snapped to him from where the Dom was crouched down in front of Curtis, who looked...terrible. Danny’s heart sank. “It was all for nothing. I thought he could stop the fight. But the dungeon...it was so crowded. And there was...this huge cracking sound. I think the roof needs to be checked again. Unless it already caved in? Whatever broke the everything hit me in the face. I don’t know what it was.”

Jaw hardening, Lawson pushed to his feet. “Pauly knew damn well I wasn’t in the dungeon, he was brought to me by one of the Doms who’d disciplined him for Curtis. I gave him a warning and told him he could join his friends in the dance club. I will be dealing with him.” He gave Danny a level look. “Now is not the time for a lecture, pet. But there’s a reason subs aren’t supposed to be in the dungeon alone.” His brow creased slightly as he caught Jared’s eye. “It sounds like he got in the way of a whip.”

A pair of blue gloves on his hands, Jared gently probed the area around Danny’s eye, leaning close. “Yes. The tearing at the edges of the laceration is consistent with that assessment. With the swelling, I can’t ascertain if only the flesh above and below the socket or the eye itself was impacted, but if the swelling gets worse and pushes the eye further we might have our answer...” He glanced at Quint, then Seth. “Not the outcome we’d like, regardless.”

“I don’t like this.” Danny hugged himself, doing his best to keep his breaths slow and steady. “Sir, ice for swelling, that’s what you always say when Shea has a black eye after a fight. Can’t we just do that? And medicine. And I’ll stay in bed for as long as I have to. I don’t want another doctor. You’re my doctor.”

“Jared will stay here the whole time, won’t you, sir?” Jamie piped up next to Danny, taking his hand to give his fingers a squeeze.

“I won’t leave for a moment.” Giving Danny an encouraging smile, Jared continued to examine the flesh around Danny’s nose at the bridge. “Did you fall? Hit your head at all?”

Danny started to shake his head, which made his eye throb. “I don’t think so, sir. I was on the ground when Pike came and got me. And there were people...no one stepped on me. I should have stayed crawling around, but I couldn’t...see anyone.”

In the corner, Seth spoke into his phone to someone. “Yes. An eye surgeon. Or we’ll have to take him to Boston. Time is of the essence, so if that’s the case we’ll need to charter a plane.”

“Remember the last time we played TD Garden in Boston? And Trevor lost his voice? Then couldn’t lip sync and got all that bad press?” Jamie’s tone said he thought this reminiscence might cheer Danny up. “And I got sick on old chowder? All over the front row?”

The memory was making Danny feel even more nauseous, but he forced a smile even as a chill washed over him. “I remember. And I...I’m very happy I didn’t eat anything tonight. Don’t tell Shea—”

“He won’t have to.” Shea strode in, a step ahead of Noah, who must’ve gone to get him and Jacks. He came to the side of the bed, lifting his hand to Danny like he wanted to touch him, then lowering it like he was afraid to. “But don’t worry about that right now, my little mouse. You...fuck, I should have kept you with me. I should have been there.” He looked at Jared. “What does he need? Should we...fuck, I haven’t seen an injury like this since…”

Making a soft, pained sound, Jacks crouched down to take Danny’s hand from Jamie and gently nudging him toward Noah. “Did the dragon’s tail find your face, little mouse? We need to work on ducking out of the way. Those scales are sharp.”

“A dragon would’ve been more interesting than me getting hurt being dumb.” Danny wrinkled his nose, which did not feel good, so he stopped. “Lawson said he thinks it was a whip. I have very bad luck with whips. I’ve decided I very much don’t like them.”

Noah let out a soft laugh. “No, I imagine you haven’t had the best experience with them. I don’t know about your Doms, but personally, I don’t like my boys insulting themselves. You did something dangerous, but your heart was in the right place. I appreciate you trying to help Jared and Curtis. Next time, if you can’t find Lawson, come to me or...any of the Core Doms. We’re all here for all of you. I’m sorry if I’ve done a shit job making that clear. I’ll do better—the way you subs are there for each other is humbling.” 

“Nicely put, love.” Jared glanced up from where he updated Danny’s chart on a tablet. “Seth, when can we get someone here? We’ll need to keep that eye sterile.”

Tapping the audio icon on his phone, Seth held it out. “Rhodey, you’re on speaker. Be your usual charming self.”

The wind sounded loud around Rhodey, the way it sometimes did when he was on the roof, accompanied by the grit of his heavy boots on gravel in a repetitive rhythm. “Vani’s sending someone. I’ll have Dallas watching them carefully while I supervise cleanup out here. They shouldn’t be more than an hour. The message from her specialist was to keep him stabilized until then to avoid further damage or infection.” His tone turned rough. “You hanging in there okay, Fievel?”

“Yes, sir.” Danny’s throat tightened. He sat up a bit so it wouldn’t show in his voice. “I’ve got some of the best doctors in the world right here. You don’t need to worry.”

Curtis glanced over Quint’s shoulder, face turned to the side where the sub was patching him back together. “Damned right. We’re freakin’ Dom Hopkins. World class.” He glanced at Quint. “Sorry. You Dom everyone when you’re in here. I’ll lend you my cuff to dress on the left.”

“No, thank you, sir. I think you should probably keep that handy.” Whatever Quint did to Curtis’ arm drew a hiss from the man, along with a dirty look. Quint smiled pleasantly at him. “You won’t need a sling, but give your elbow a few days. No heavy lifting.”

“Like I said.” Curtis muttered darkly, shifting his arm away slightly.

Which had Jared chuckling. “Taught him everything he knows.”

“Not everything.” Seth hung up with Rhodey, winking at Quint. “Good boy.”

Shea dragged up a chair noisily, grabbing Jacks by the arm and sitting him on it. “Don’t pace, you’re freaking me out.” A strange thing to say, because Jacks hadn’t been moving. And the second Jacks was seated, Shea walked to the end of the bed and back a few times, his fingers laced behind his neck. “What I don’t understand is how you even got into the dungeon. Blain was on duty and nothing gets by that man. And there are ropes to keep people out of the strike zone.”

“Those were...moved. Temporarily.” Noah raked his fingers through his hair, gripping it before dropping his hand to his side. “Blain took over after I’d moved things to measure the space for some new equipment. We had a bigger crowd than usual and things were probably difficult to manage. But...no, Danny still shouldn’t have been able to get past the door.”

 Stroking Danny’s knuckles with the pad of his thumb while Seth did something to his eye with a paper cup and gauze that seemed to involve making a shield, Jacks cleared his throat. “Tell us how you stormed the castle, little mouse.”

Danny bit hard into his bottom lip. There was no way to tell them without getting Avery in trouble. And he was in enough trouble himself already...the Doms were probably waiting to make sure he didn’t keel over before he was hauled over someone’s knee. He took a deep breath. “Can I have some water? And...is it supposed to be so cold in here?”

Shuffling back a few steps, Matt whispered something to Jamie, who shook his head, making a quick negative motion with his hand.

“I’ll get you a blanket.” Jacks stood, going to the warming drawer, his brilliant green eyes dulled with what looked like disappointment. “Quint, which is the water fridge? I don’t want to accidentally give him a urine specimen to drink.”

Quint gave Danny an unimpressed look, showing he had picked up more than a few things from Jared. He motioned to the fridge closest to the door. “Right there, sir. The other has a label on it to avoid such instances. And, Danny, you do know the security footage will be reviewed. You keeping this to yourself isn’t helping your case.”

“Hey, he ain’t trying to rat anyone out. You gotta respect that.” Pike folded his arms over his chest, moving a bit closer to Curtis. “Why does it even matter?”

Curtis slipped his arm around Pike, his gaze on Matt like he hadn’t missed whatever had gone down between him and Jamie. “Because we want to make sure there aren’t any vulnerabilities in our security for a number of reasons, one of them being insurance.” He glanced Lawson’s way, sitting up a little more like he was looking for approval for having remembered an Important Business Fact. “Too many people slip in there, and file insurance claims, we could lose our liability coverage.”

A warm smile on his lips, Lawson inclined his head. “Exactly. There is also the matter of preventing this from happening again, to any of you.” He stepped up behind Matt, resting his hands on his boy’s shoulders and massaging lightly. “Would anyone else care to enlighten us?”

“He can’t. He doesn’t fit.” Jamie’s eyes widened, and he slapped both hands over his mouth. 

Turning to stare at Jamie from where he’d been hovering close to Jared’s side, Noah seemed to visibly compose himself before he spoke. “Please elaborate, little cat. Whatever details you have, we need to hear them. Now.”

Jamie threw Danny an apologetic wince, lowering his hands while Seth finished taping the paper cup over Danny’s eye. “I—”

“Yo, that’s not cool. You make him sell people out and everyone’s gonna hate him.” Pike stomped his foot and glared at Noah. “No one’s talking. If we think ya gotta know, we’ll decide it together. But ain’t no one giving in to an interrogation. And if you try...we’ve got safewords and we’re not afraid to use them.”

The look in Noah’s eyes wasn’t one of his friendly ones. “Safewords don’t apply to security matters, boy. I suggest you keep that in mind.”

Crossing to Pike, Seth peeled off his nitrile gloves, tossing them in the trash on his way past. He lifted Pike, capturing his chin between his thumb and forefinger to force his gaze. “Show me you know how to respect the hierarchies in this place. Our home. I know you’ve had a scare tonight, and your back is up, little pixie. Take a breath. You’ve got this. I’m right here.”

“Sir…” Pike’s throat worked as he looked into his Dom’s eyes. “Loyalty is important. We can’t… I need to...show I can give it, too. And it’s not fair for anyone to… Please understand? I’m sorry. I don’t like keeping things from you. None of us do, but...we can’t just throw each other to the fu—freakin’ wolves.”

Sadness turning the corners of his blue eyes downward, Seth nodded slowly. “I see. I suppose it’s unfair of me to expect you to trust me or anyone here to protect you boys. We all did a shit job of it tonight. If you need to keep secrets until you trust us again, I understand.” He kissed Pike’s cheek, then set him on his feet. “Please let me know when you’re ready for me to be your Dom again. When I’ve earned that trust back.” He met Lawson and then Noah’s gazes, and Shea and Jacks. “It looks like we all have a lot of work to do before we have the right to claim the control we ask our subs to hand over.”

A tray clattered on a table in the main area of the clinic, Keiran straightening once he’d left it there and striding forward. “I taught Danny how to climb in through the vents. There’s an entrance through the back of the dungeon. I’ll show you where.” He looked around at all of them, each sub, from Danny, to Jamie, Matt, then Pike. “Thank you for trying to protect me, but this has gone far enough. I’ll face whatever consequences come from my actions.”

“But—” Jamie started, then stumbled to the side with a loud, “Ow!” He glared up at Matt, bending down to massage his ankle.

Noah arched a brow at Keiran, moving to place himself between Matt and Jamie, Lawson thankfully pulling Matt to him before he got knocked on his ass. “You taught Danny to climb through the vents? Are you sure that’s the story you want to go with? I mean, you’re slender, but I can’t quite picture you fitting in there.”

“Then I’ll just have to show you, sir.” Keiran hiked his chin up, not breaking Noah’s stare. Or even blinking, which was a bit disturbing. Maybe Rhodey had given him a special merc treatment so he didn’t need to anymore. “Would anyone care for some ice tea?”

“That’d feel good on my throat...” Curtis raised his hand.

“Of course, sir.” Keiran gave a sharp nod, then went back to his tray and began pouring drinks.

“Does this mean we get to keep our collars?” Fingers curled around his like he planned to fight anyone who tried to take it, Jamie gazed up at Noah.

Noah rubbed his hand over his mouth, exchanging a look with Jared. “I’m not the one who mentioned not being a Dom anymore. If I feel I need to dig deeper into this situation, I have my ways.” He patted Jamie’s shoulder. “Go get Wren.”

“Don’t you fucking dare.” Keiran dropped the cup he’d been filling, cutting across the room, his eyes flashing with rage. He swung his fist at Noah’s face, his whole body shaking when the Dom caught it and held him in place. “You leave him out of this.”

Jared stood from his desk, but before he opened his mouth, Jacks stepped in.

Bundling Danny tighter in the blanket he’d just wrapped around Danny’s shoulders, Jacks sucked air through his teeth. “That’s it. Everyone who’s not fucking injured, get the fuck out.” He jutted his chin toward the door. “This is a clinic, not a courtroom or the dungeon. You want to tear each other apart, do it where there aren’t people who need treatment. We’ll deal with the facts later. Right now, my boy needs to rest and be calm, and frankly so do I.”

Quint stepped up to Keiran’s side, drawing him away from Noah. “He’s right. Thank you for bringing the food, my man. Go join Avery on watch.” He pressed his hand to Keiran’s cheek, forcing his gaze away from Noah’s when his jaw hardened. “That’s an order. And not as a Dom. Go.”

“Yes, thank you, Keiran.” Jared joined Quint, seeming to have an entire silent conversation with Keiran with just one look. Gratitude was there, but also knowledge of something deeper. “We’ll take care of...everyone.”

Still seeming a bit shaken, Keiran nodded and took a step back. He glanced at Jacks, giving him an apologetic look. “I’m sorry, sir.” He closed his eyes, then turned, walking out of the clinic without another word.

Jared turned to Noah and Jamie. “If you’re better, Jamie, Noah please take him upstairs. We need room in here.” He shifted his attention to Matt, Lawson, and Curtis. “I’m sorry for the pain I caused all of you. I’d like to talk about this tomorrow, or when you’re able. For now, if Quint says you’re released, I’d like Matt to take you upstairs to rest.”

“They’ll both be fine to recuperate in their own space, sir.” Quint took out two bottles of pills and tossed them to Matt, his lips creeping up at the edges. “Make sure they both take their medicine. Their names and the instructions are on the bottles. If they give you any trouble, give me a shout. I’ll show you how to hold their nose and pop it in their mouths.”

Near Danny, affixing heart-monitor leads under his shirt, Seth snorted. “You’re pushing it, smiley.” His gaze moved to Pike. “Sit down, pixie. We’re good. I’m sorry I tried to strongarm you. We’ll talk later, but right now I need to work.” Tipping his head, he indicated the tray. “I think Keiran brought cake.”

Rubbing his hands on his dirt streaked jeans, Pike didn’t even seem to catch the last, which had Danny a bit worried he’d gotten sick outside. He should ask Jared to test his immune system, from being indoors so much. He was just kinda standing there, staring at Seth.

Then he made a choked sound, shaking his head. “I love you, sir. I’ll keep out of the way, but...please don’t doubt that? You wanted me to be part of things here and...I’m trying. And if I fuck up sometimes, it ain’t...you haven’t done anything wrong. I need you to know that.”

Seth motioned Quint closer to take over prepping Danny, then crossed to Pike, crouching down in front of him. He took both Pike’s hands loosely in his own and met his boy’s gaze. “I forget sometimes how new you are to this. I’m used to...more experienced subs and I forget to explain or go slow. I’m sorry. You have nothing to apologize for. My methods are one part Dom, one part merc, and everything about what we do together is new for me too. Will you forgive me?”

“For being badass and putting up with my shit?” Pike wrapped his arms around the back of Seth’s neck, tucking his face against him. “I’ll think about it, sir.”

Cupping the back of Pike’s head, Seth dug his fingers into his deep blue strands, using his other arm around Pike’s waist to lift him off his feet. He stood, kissing Pike’s cheek. “If there’s any shit from you, it’s just fertilizer to make our love garden grow.”

By the door with Noah, Jamie coughed. “I’m writing a song with those lyrics.”

“You are not.” Noah gave Jamie a little nudge to keep him moving, his voice carrying back as he stepped through the door into the gym. “I’m not sure whether to be proud of you for not telling us everything, or pissed off that I need to resort to threats to pry information out of the lot of you. You can pour me a bourbon when we get upstairs while I think about it.”

Matt shook his head. “I’ve been ratted out, and it’s no fun. It messed up things around here for Jamie for a long time. If Keiran had been a merc then he’d’a gutted Jamie. Which would’ve been a shame, because the dude actually does have nice lips.” Turning a little red, Matt scuffed one black sneakered foot against the linoleum. “You’re bad...butt too, Pike... Sorry, I’m not allowed to say badass anymore.”

“You just did, my boy.” Lawson gave Matt’s ass a light swatt, then kissed his temple. “I do not like that we don’t have all the facts, but we have the necessary ones for now, which gives me plenty to work with. The merc and mob influence around here is making all you boys completely unmanageable. That may need to be addressed.”

“There is no Sub 101.” Smirking, Matt didn’t seem serious at all. Especially as he winked at Pike.

Pike snickered around a bit of a sniffle, leaning sideways in Seth’s arms to snatch a small, snack sized cake off the tray. He talked around the half he stuffed in his mouth. “Badass is my middle name, your Dom can’t stop you from saying it. It’s against the constitution.”

Which had Matt bursting into uncharacteristic giggles. It was really strange on the guy, but it was nice everyone seemed to be getting along and no one had died.

But it had been close. Way too close. Looking at Pike, it was a bit of a relief to see how quickly he brushed things off, but he shouldn’t have to. He was younger than Danny and he’d already been through so much. Danny should be the one getting him out of trouble. Teaching him how things were at The Asylum.

Or…as much as I know, anyway.

From what had happened in the dungeon, it wasn’t nearly enough. And it broke his heart to see how much he’d terrified his Doms. Danny was good at thinking up all kinds of disasters, but avoiding them…not so much.

No matter what he had to do, he’d learn. Maybe he could get better at predicting them. The ‘horrorscopes’ hadn’t been the right way to go about it, but there were other options. Tarot cards, some kind of stones…tea leaves? The last should be pretty easy around here, with how much of the stuff Wren served.

A crystal ball would be awesome about now. Surgery was scary, but hopefully it would erase the worst of the damage. If it didn’t, no one would be able to look at him…

Without being reminded of his mistake.

And how much it had almost cost them all. 

 

****

Part 24
Check back in on Xmas weekend for the next two parts! However you celebrate the holiday season, I hope you have a great one! And if you don't celebrate? Spoil yourself a little anyway.

Just because!

To keep up to date on all the happenings with The Asylum Fight Club, sign up to the newsletter HERE: https://www.subscribepage.com/j4m0q5 

There's also a new twitter account: https://twitter.com/asylumfightclub

And tons of socials where you can find info on the core! Keep an eye out for all the links so you never miss a thing!

Looking for official Asylum Fight Club merchandise? You can find it here: https://www.zazzle.com/store/asylumfightclub/products

As always, comments are welcome and spoilers can be discussed in the spoiler group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/244198880244923 
  
Have an amazing weekend!

 

 

 

Comments

  1. You know things are bad when Keiran has an outburst like that outside of the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having my two favourites, Danny and Pike, having such a bonding and sweet moments together, my heart just melted <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see te subs keep sticking together. Poor, poor Danny.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts