Love & Stitches at The Asylum: Part Thirty-Six



Happy Sunday, peeps!

We're back today with Pike and Reed, so there's plenty of color and candy. Curtis is stirring up the good kind of trouble in the bar, and school is about to be in session. Get ready! Next week is Sub 101. You won't want to miss what our favorite Core cuties get up to.

In case you haven't heard, we have some exciting announcements coming up in the next newsletters that you won't want to miss, including a $50 US Amazon gift card giveaway to celebrate some news we can't wait to share! It's killing us to stay quiet! So, make sure you're signed up here. You don't want to miss this!

Have a great week and see you in the Facebook Group where you're giving us the BEST time with the memes you've been posting.

Now, grab a cuppa or your favorite candy, and let's go! We wouldn't want you to be late!

xoxo

*****


*****

On the floor in the loft, tons of snacks spread around, Pike focused on refueling for the two big events of the day. Working  out the different props and clues for Wren’s birthday with Reed, and…

Sub 101. The first class.

I’m gonna need more cookies. A lot more cookies. School stuff… Fuck.

Or, yeah, probably no fucking. This wasn’t college. He couldn’t get a passing grade by blowing the teacher.

Well, I mean…maybe I can?

His chances at staying on Jared’s good side would be a lot better if he could figure out some more of the details for the party. All the notes and sketches were…something, but they needed an actual plan. Hopefully, Quint would have time later that day, or maybe tomorrow, to help him make it all neat.

Thinking of Quint’s handwriting, Pike scratched that idea and decided to ask Seth instead. When he wasn’t at the clinic. Or on watch.

But Reed took over, making it so he didn’t have to stress about that either. Dressed in one of the school uniforms right from one of his mangas, with a fancy blue jacket and gray, knee-length shorts, hair pulled back from his face in a short, snug ponytail that brought out the sleek lines of his jaw, his dimples seemed even deeper than usual whenever he flashed them.

They hadn’t popped up in a while. He seemed full of nervous energy he’d been bottling up, more and more, as class time approached. “I’ll get Lawson and Matt to look it over for the details and Curtis for the set-up. Now let’s move on to the cornfield and haunted house. Can you draw a maze? Me and Curtis can do the legwork for that. I’ll ask Jacks to make some freaky props to fly out. Sucks that we can’t have the kids from the Center here. That would be fucking creepy and all kinds of perfect.” 

“And super weird. We’ll just recruit shorter members and dress ‘em up.” Pike jotted down a note, then got up to go to his art room, which was...actually not as much of a mess as he’d left it. Quint must’ve come in and tidied it up, somehow managing not to ruin the creative chaos of the space, and Pike fucking loved that about him. He’d have to find something special to do for his co-sub as a ‘thank you’. More than a blowjob...but he’d do that too.

I’ve gotta start making blowjob IOUs or my jaw’s gonna need a fucking brace by the time I’m done handing them out.

Grabbing a roll of thick paper from his corner stash, he went back to the living room, spreading it out on the floor to start sketching out the maze.

Ignoring his dirty look, Reed polished off the last of Pike’s M&Ms. “Do you need me to go measure shit?”

Pike shook his head. “Not yet. I’ll keep it kinda vague for now, then we can worry about all the technical stuff I suck at. Maybe by then people will be...around. Or, like maybe if you ask ‘em, they’ll be more into it. I figured everyone would be together because of the class today, but...yeah, I’m the only one whose schedule ain’t...packed. I just got my classes online and homework. Y’all got important things to do.”

“School’s important.” Reed braced his hands on the floor behind him. “And hey, we’ve all had our times when things are less busy. Or more. Fucking enjoy it, man. You get better in the bar and you’ll be on the schedule all the time.”

“I wouldn’t mind that.” Pike held the tip of his tongue between his teeth, adding some scarecrows between the rows of roughly drawn corn. “I like being around everyone. And it’s cool to be useful. I just ain’t good at the stuff you are, but...I’ll work on it. Totally thought I’d found my thing when the space around the ring didn’t end up a trash heap, but apparently you’re not supposed to threaten members. Anyone tell Rhodey that?”

“You really think anyone needs to tell my Dom anything?” Avery’s voice seemed to come from everywhere and nowhere, echoing like he was inside the walls...but not.

Reed rolled his eyes. “Avery, eavesdropping is rude. What if we were talking about how much we wanna see you ride that new bull Noah got? Or how pretty Rhodey would look in a tutu? It shouldn’t be dangerous to talk in the privacy of our own lofts. Come out here and join the convo. Or, maybe, you know, knock on the door like a human being raised on planet earth?”

“Hey, I was passing through.” One of the air ducts fell open with a clang, Avery slithering out like the snake Rhodey always called him. “I can’t help it if you were talking about Rhodey when I passed by.” He put his hands on his hips, his own prim and proper schoolboy uniform covered in dust. “I was getting in my practice crawling. It comes in handy, these new ducts Curtis installed. You try ‘em yet? I found the attic space with all the old sex toys and equipment. There’s even some black and white photographs of Jared, Lawson, Curtis, and Noah playing. Want to see?”

Damn, all the Doms were even older than Pike had thought. Black and white photos? “That sounds really cool, man, but...I don’t wanna put this off and leave too much last minute stuff for Curtis. Or show up at class late.” Pike eyed the duct, not loving the idea someone could just come in here. Even though Avery was cool, he knew damn well all Rhodey would have to do was snap his fingers and the dude would slit Pike’s throat. Did Seth know this place was that easy to get into? “Speaking of...I should probably get dressed. And…” His pulse stuttered when Reed started to stand. He grabbed the other sub’s wrist. “Would you mind sticking around and...giving me some ideas on what I should wear? You’ve set the fucking bar in outer space.”

Reed’s brow furrowed as he studied Pike’s face, then looked over at Avery. “Ah… Okay, I got it. Avery, mind letting everyone know we’ll be down soon? And maybe sneak elsewhere? The door is…” He pointed. “Right there. Handle turns, in case you forgot how those work.”

“Sure.” Avery turned to go, gaze scanning the place, tone thoughtful. “Sure would’ve been easier to carry out the contract on Wren if this ductwork had been here originally.” His lips curved into a bright smile. “See ya.”

Then he was gone.

The chill creeping up Pike’s spine didn’t leave with him. And hell, he knew better than to look at anyone and try to think they might have...normal emotions. Even if they did, his blood would be just as red if they were a little sad about spilling it. He gripped the side of Reed’s light gray jacket, tugging a little so he’d come to the bedroom with him. “Do you think…?” Shaking his head, he went to Seth’s night table, pulling at the drawer that was unfortunately locked. “Naw, that’s dumb. He likes Wren, he wouldn’t hurt him.”

“Not anymore.” Reed sat on the bed, his head tilted to one side as he watched Pike fight with the drawer. “Need some help?”

“Yeah, it’s locked. Ez tried to teach me to pick locks and I never could pull it off.” Pike plunked down on the floor, smiling as Fresco bounced over and climbed onto his thigh. “I distracted him with handjobs.”

Reed shoved his shoulder with his foot. “That’s my brother, dude. TMI. Here, move, I got it.”

Plucking something out of his hair, Reed brought it to his teeth, stretching it. The piece of metal, a bobby pin, was slipped into the lock. Reed grinned at the click and slid the drawer open. “Ta-da!”

A knock sounded on the loft door. One short rap, two really short ones, and then...yeah, that was definitely Shave and a Haircut in something like Morse code.

“The people around here are so fucking weird.” Reed snickered, heading for the door. “Don’tcha love it?” He opened the front door, his voice carrying back through the loft. “Miss us already, Batman?”

Grabbing Seth’s gun, Pike checked to make sure it was loaded. This wasn’t the kind of accessory he’d ever wanted, no matter how normal it had once been to see his family wearing them to every kind of social function. But he knew how to use one if he needed to. Sorta.

No matter how shitty I am at protecting myself...I made it this far.

Maybe he’d gotten too comfortable and this was his wakeup call. If that was the case…

I’m wide awake now.

There was something about the weight of the gun that brought Pike to a mindframe he’d never wanted to deal with again. A huge reality check when his new family had let him escape it for a while. But that didn’t mean he had to make a huge deal out of it.

Actually, the less he let it show that still being on the ‘enemy number one’ list got to him, the better.

“Heyo. Time to...” Grin turning into a frown, Avery glanced between Reed and Pike. “Um...you do know my Dom was starting to like you, right?”

Pike scowled down at the gun in his hand, hating how comfortable the weight of it felt. “Yeah? Could’ve fooled me. You gotta watch me and decide if you’ve gotta deal with me? I ain’t gonna make it easy. Or…I’m gonna try not to.”

Holding up both hands, Avery glanced at the vent he’d come out of earlier. “I watch everyone, dude. To make sure no one is attacking them, or whatever. If I didn’t want you to, you never would’ve known I was there.”

“But…” Pike tugged at his bottom lip with his teeth, searching Avery’s eyes for the trick. “You’re not just…waiting for me to fuck up so you can…like use your ninja skills then put me down for a dirt nap?”

“No.” Sounding a bit like Rhodey when he wanted to be super firm about something, Avery shook his head. “I mean, I suppose if my Dom told me I had to kill anyone, even Keir, I would have to do it. But then? I’d probably not want to be his sub anymore after that unless there was a really good reason, so he’d have to do me next.”

Reed raked his fingers through his hair, ruining the smoothness of his curls being all tied back. “This is getting really fucking dark. Look, I get you…feeling like you need that to be safe. I’m not gonna lecture you, but…Avery’s not going to hurt you. And, for real? If he wanted to, that wouldn’t stop him. The dude’s practically bulletproof.”

Groaning, Pike tossed the gun onto the middle of the bed. “Thanks. That’s sooo fucking helpful.”

Plunking down on the floor, Avery leaned back on his hands to look up at Pike. “You know you wouldn’t be close to all the people here and know all their secrets if Rhodey wanted you gone.”

“I thought I did. Then you were just there and…” Pike rubbed his hands over his face. “I like you, man, I really do. But it’s hard to forget that…side of who you are. Like it’s hard to forget who I am. This is…my home. Where I don’t usually have to think about it. Feeling like you were keeping an eye on me was like…a big reminder.”

Avery screwed up one side of his face, scratching his head. “Yeah. I get that. You could always get some locking screws on the grates, but I kinda have to go through this conduit to get to the other loft.”

“Naw. I don’t wanna make your job harder for you.” Pike’s lips twitched at the edges as Fresco trotted out of the hall, running up behind Avery and climbing up on his shoulder like he was conquering a mountain. He sat there and started chewing on Avery’s hair. “I guess if he’s not afraid of you, I shouldn’t be either. He’s the one with all the brains.”

Reaching over and plucking the gun off the bed, Reed used his shirt to wipe off the handle. “We all cool, then? I’ll put this away and we pretend like it never happened? No one’s killing anyone. And…thinking about all this a little harder—which I probably should’ve done before opening the drawer for you—Jared’ll be a lot happier if you’re only armed with fluffball there.”

“I mean, it’s pretty safe to say that we can pretend like it never happened, but...” Avery tapped just above his right ear. 

Pike flopped back on the bed. “Seth is going to lose his shit. Can you ask Rhodey if he’ll not tell him if I give him a blowjob? Or…five?”

The drawer clicked shut, Reed shooting him an amused look. “Is that your solution to everything? Dude, we’ve got to help you come up with some other options. You can’t fight or fuck your way out of everything.”

“You especially can’t fuck my Dom out of everything. Or anything.” It was hard to tell if Avery  meant because Rhodey wouldn’t be swayed by things like that, or if it was because Avery meant ‘hands off my Dom’. He snickered, making things clearer. “I would’ve tried if it would have worked. But I’d be dickless now.”

That visual was kinda gruesome, but Pike couldn’t help laughing as he sat up and faced the guy again. “From the look of your dick in those skin tight pants you wear when you’re on the silks, I’m really glad you didn’t try it.” He held out his hand for Fresco to climb off Avery’s shoulder when the kitten let out the plaintive little mew he did whenever he was stuck. “And I’m sorry for thinking you wanted me dead. I’m just…a bit fucked up about stuff sometimes. I’m not used to not having to watch my back around…the people I should be able to trust.”

Head turned, Avery looked down at his shoulder, using gentle fingers to unlatch the kitten’s claws from his blue blazer with its Asylum School for Subs logo patch on the front pocket. “For what it’s worth—” Avery grinned as he handed Fresco to Pike. “—I don’t like killing people. It’s just useful for them to think I do.”

“Really?” Pike nuzzled his face into Fresco’s fur, looking at Avery over him. “My dad used to brag that he got off on it. Like it would make me…more of a man if I could eventually get there. I’m glad I never did. My family was…yeah.” He took a deep breath, smiling a little. “You look really sexy in that. Between you and Reed, the rest of us are gonna look like total slobs.”

 “Hey, some of us like being prepared. And I fucking suck in school settings, so I’m hoping looking cute will get me some bonus points.” Going to the closet, Reed started sorting through Pike’s clothes. He had some nice stuff, Seth got him anything he even showed the littlest interest in, but didn’t seem like any of it fit what Reed was going for. Finally, Reed closed the doors. “Avery, new mission. We’ve gotta put something together for him. Show Jared we’re taking this seriously.”

“Danny has some cute, tamer stuff. Jacks stuffs his closet full. Let’s go to their loft and see what we can find.” Already on his feet, Avery motioned for Reed and him to follow. “Rhodey says he’s going to personally beat all three of us if we’re late.”

A beating from Rhodey didn’t sound like fun at all. Scrambling off the bed, Pike trailed after Reed and Avery, Fresco tucked to his chest. He closed the door behind him, lingering with his hand on the doorknob, his pulse picking up a notch. After everything that’d gone down the other night, he hadn’t been away from Seth and Quint much until today. With both their crazy schedules, between the Clinic and running security here, neither could stick around before the classes and see him off—not that he needed it. He’d told them he could manage.

But he was jumpy and wanted to kick his own ass for being a wimp. The gun at least woulda been a way to let everyone know they shouldn’t mess with him, but Reed was right. It might as well be a toy with how trained Avery was. Talking to him and finding out he wasn’t on some kill list that had been temporarily put on hold helped, but now he was super aware of how…vulnerable he was.

The runt of the O’Rourkes.

Pike would hate his name if it wasn’t part of what connected him to Curtis. At least he’d be in the classes too. And he’d keep Pike from getting in too much trouble, right?

Unless Jared still has an issue with him. He took him down once…

Arms wrapped carefully around Fresco, Pike looked around the stairwell. If Quint was here, none of this stuff would be getting to him. He loved the way Quint was always close enough to touch, or to grab him if he took one step out of line. If he’d been there right after Danny got hurt, Pike never would’ve gone outside, within reach of the gang. He never would’ve even thought about grabbing Seth’s gun.

But it wasn’t fair for him to have to be glued to Pike’s side all the time to keep him from doing stupid shit. Even if it was so much easier.

Maybe that was something Sub 101 could help Pike with.

How to be an Asylum sub without getting fucked up.

Lesson one: Don’t be a failed mob rat who’s super fucking needy.

Lesson two: Learn to make tea.

Lesson three: Don’t open your stupid fucking mouth.

Yeah…Pike was gonna fail these classes with flying colors. He looked at Reed and Avery, who both had their own thing around here, cooking and doing security, and managed to have their own kind of fun, but when it came to being subs, it didn’t look all that different. They actually knelt. And knew how to say shit the right way. And knew what rules to break and which ones…not to.

The other subs also knew all kinds of hand commands, and ways to serve their Doms that was all graceful and perfect. Maybe Jared would be showing him how to do that.

But when Pike tried to picture going to Seth, standing all stiff and holding a tea tray, it was like crawling inside someone else’s skin. He shuddered, giving his head a little shake. Nope. Not fucking happening.

Face buried in Fresco’s fur, Pike muttered under his breath. “Least I can do is look the part.” He stepped on his shoelace as they got to the landing on the floor below his, tripping into Avery’s side. “Shit, sorry.”

Lesson four: Learn how to walk.

Now he was imagining Jared, making him walk around a class for a few hours with a book on his head while the rest of the subs learned advanced stuff. Like reading their Dom’s minds or serving trays with their teeth while their hands were cuffed together.

“What do you suppose Jared is going to teach us?” Jacks’ and Shea’s door lock beeped under Avery’s fingers. “I’m sort of wondering what’s left.”

Reed gave Avery a dry look, reaching past him to pull the door shut again. “No clue, but I’m gonna teach you something right now.” He rapped his knuckles on the door. “This is knocking. It helps with not freaking people out. Unless it’s like, family or you’re sure people are cool with it? Wait to be invited in. Like a vampire.”

Twisting his lips to one side, Avery looked sideways at Reed. “Well, we’re gonna be waiting a fucking long time, since I know no one’s there.”

“Ugh. One sec.” Reed pulled out his phone, giving it a little shake, a piece of the screen falling off before he tapped on a number and held it a bit away from his face. “Hey, Jacks? Where you at? Mind if we invade your closet? Pike needs something nice to wear to class and I was kinda hoping to use your expert advice to get him all suited up.”

Wherever Jacks was, it was dark. His voice was muffled as he answered. “Yes. Take what you— No, little mouse, I promise you won’t be put in the stocks and whipped. Please come out.”

All right, looked like Pike wasn’t the only one kinda worried about classes. He moved Reed’s hand so he could look at the screen, where it was obvious Reed’s camera wasn’t working, but he could kinda make out a sliver of light. “Is he hiding under the bed?”

“Pool table.” Jacks’ voice was strained, like he tried to squeeze under there himself. “Danny...you’re going to be late. And Shea will need to come down here. You know you don’t want to get him upset.” Cajoling, threats, and wheedling were usually Jacks’ last resort. “He’ll make you eat chocolate fudge cake for dinner.”

A bit fainter, and completely out of sight, Danny’s voice came out sounding like he was speaking from inside a tunnel. “But, sir, you don’t even really like tea. And what if there’s a dozen pots and they all boil over at once? We only have three doctors, they can’t handle that kind of disaster.”

“Well...” Avery pulled out his own phone from a pocket that hadn’t been apparent before he reached into it. “We’re gonna be late. And then we will have to worry about a beating from Rhodey.” He raised his voice, leaning toward Reed’s phone. “With the cane.”

There was a whimper, then a scrambling sound, like Danny had crawled out from under the table and thrown himself into Jacks’ arms, knocking into the phone. “No more canes. Can we go get them so they won’t get in trouble? I’m sorry for hiding, sir. I don’t want Shea to be upset. Or you. Or Jared.”

Relief gusted over the phone speaker with Jacks’, “Good boy. Thank you for coming out.” Reed’s phone showed the dance club ceiling’s metal girders with most of the spotlights turned off, and a web of shadows above. “I love you, and I promise that if I thought you were going to learn anything terrible I wouldn’t send you to school.” A kissing sound, then another. “You know that, right? You say the word and you’re out of there. I don’t care what Rhodey says. Or Shea.”

“Shh, don’t say that, sir.” As they came into view, Danny was pressing his fingers over Jacks’ lips, his black eyepatch a bit crooked, making it impossible to read what the pink sequins on it spelled out. He touched his forehead to his Dom’s. “I love you, too. And I don’t want you to get in trouble either. I promise I’ll be super good in class. I can stand still for a really long time and I can probably march if I have to…not with tea, but…I’ll learn.”

“You get to sit at a desk and take it easy.” Green eyes moving to the phone, Jacks held it up so he and Danny were clearly in view. “Say hello to Pike. He’d like to borrow some of your clothes. Is that all right, little mouse?”

Danny nodded quickly, leaning closer to the phone, whispering like he was sharing top secret information. “That’s a really good idea. I don’t have any special uniforms, but… Oh! There’s that jacket of Shea’s you fixed up for me that was part of his dress uniform. And those pants that are almost the same color. I didn’t think about clothes. Do you think Jared will mind me wearing a hoodie? Was there a dress code? Why didn’t anyone tell me?”

“Okay, is this seriously going to be like boot camp?” Pike exchanged a look with Avery and Reed. “Because…I definitely won’t pass that. Maybe…we should go see what Curtis is wearing? He’s all in the know.”

 Reed shook his head, motioning for Avery to open the door. “It’s not gonna be like boot camp. You’re dressing up a bit for fun. And Curtis is waiting for us in the bar—he’ll come get us if he thinks we’re gonna be late. Let’s just grab you something and head down. It’s gonna be fine.”

“I made you a hoodie with cat ears that match Fresco’s fur, Pike!” Jacks shouted like he thought he might be heard several floors up, in case Reed hung up. “Wear that!”

Grinning at the phone as he leaned close to it again, Pike nodded. Then spoke up because the Dom couldn’t see him with Reed’s camera all messed up. “Yes, sir. Thank you. If I get in shit, I’ll just say I was following orders.”

“Wait, no, you can’t do that!” Danny made a distressed sound. “You’re definitely gonna get in sh—you’re not allowed to swear. Oh, this is going to be terrible. You should order him to be really good, sir. Be specific. I need some paper, Wren says lists help and I can write down all the things that are going to go wrong.”

“I saw Jared’s class notes.” Voice lowered as they walked into the main bedroom, Avery plucked his ear piece out of his ear to hold in his fist. “The vents come in handy for more than checking the security. He’s enforcing the no swearing thing with that god awful pink gritty soap from the gym. Definitely don’t swear.”

Scraping his teeth over his tongue, Pike nodded, hoping he could resist the urge to say the first thing that came to his head while he was in class. Another thing Quint made easy, but it would probably be good for him to figure out on his own. “Thanks for the head’s up, man.” He found the hoodie and passed Fresco to Avery so he could put it on. Turning in a circle, he let the other two guys get a good look at him. “If I can’t do prim and proper schoolboy, maybe I can do too cute to beat on? How’s this?”

“You’re gonna have to get a less cute ass. All Jared’s crew have pert patooties.” Avery wiggled his own muscular butt suggestively, hands waving over his head. “Dude has to have some fun for being willing to throw himself on the Sub 101 spike. Do a good job and maybe they’ll let us graduate instead of moving on to 201.”

Reed rolled his eyes at them as he fixed his hair in the mirror over what had to be Jacks’ vanity. “You guys are too much. We asked for these classes, remember? And Jared didn’t suddenly grow fangs or turn into a drill sergeant.” He picked up a bottle of cologne and sniffed it, wrinkling his nose before putting it back. “This fancy stuff is rancid. Jacks, I’m getting you some body spray from the glitter store. Ten bucks and you’ll smell fucking edible.”

“Don’t you dare.” Jacks grunted, lifting Danny into his arms. “That shit will eat your skin and you’ll look as old as my granny Jackie before you’re thirty.” He swung around, heading toward the bar from the dance club. “Come on, little mouse, let’s get all this dust off you.”

As ready as he was gonna be, Pike took Fresco back from Avery, snorting as Reed started sniffing all the little jars Jacks had all over his vanity. “We gonna do this thing?”

“Yeah.” Reed opened another jar, jumping back as gold powder spilled everywhere. “Oops… Uh, you know I love you, right Jacks? Totally gonna clean this up after class is over. It’s not expensive, is it?”

“Was it gold?” Even Jacks’ voice winced.

Wiping the back of his hand on the front of his jacket, Reed nodded. “Yup.” He used his fingers to sweep up a bit from the vanity, spreading it over his jacket, then on his cheeks. “There. Now it looks intentional.”

Jacks groaned, setting Danny on the counter of the bar bathroom sink as he turned on the water. “Yep. Expensive. You’d better never wash it off whatever you’re wearing. Look at the label.”

“‘Black Hills Authentic Gold Dust Power’.” Reed read it out loud, making a face. “Would it help if I replaced it?” He put it down carefully, letting out a heavy sigh. “Lawson’s gonna kill me.”

On his knees, Avery swept up what he could of the powder into a little pile from the floor. “It’s just dirt. When you think about it. Someone put a price on it. On dirt.” Something small and black, about the size of a button, plunked into the vial with the powder and little bits of cotton and thread. “There. Good as new.”

 Shaking his head, Pike motioned the other subs out of the loft. “My mom had some stuff like that. She wasn’t a huge fan of guns, but she woulda grabbed my dad’s and shot you if you ruined her fancy makeup. You’re lucky Jacks is one of the nice ones.”

And I’m really happy I’m not the one who fucked up this time. Or…yet.

Whatever it was Jacks might’ve said in answer to Pike’s observation was cut off with his, “Oh, sh—” and the sound of rushing water before the phone died entirely.

“R.I.P. to another phone.” Reed stuffed his in his pocket, leading the way down the stairs to the bar. “This place is terrible for them, seriously. And now I have another example to give to Lawson when he notices I cracked another one. They should make them more durable.” He shoved open the door, his face lighting up with a broad grin. “Hey, Daddy-o. Look at me, being all punctual. You proud of me?”

Waving Reed over, Curtis looked up from the beer he’d been pouring. His white Henley seemed extra bright this morning in the sunlight coming through the windows. “You look like a disco ball exploded all over a unicorn. And, yes, very proud.”

Up on the stool in front of his cousin, Pike let Fresco explore the bar, reaching over to steal Curtis’ beer and take a sip. “Do we have time for food? Reed stole the last of my M&Ms and I’m gonna need my strength for…whatever we’re gonna be doing.”

“Hey, Matt. Make another sandwich for Pike.” Nudging Pike to get his beer back, Curtis grabbed a few cocktail napkins from a short stack at the end of the bar at the same time. “And a beer. We want him to relax a bit.” He frowned at Pike, placing a napkin in front of him. “You look wound for sound, little cuz.”

Pike shrugged, staring down at his hands, wiggling his fingers when Fresco started batting at them. “I’m…still not sure about these classes. Everyone else knows the stuff they’re supposed to do. I kinda…always end up doing the stuff we’re not supposed to do. And Quint never lets me make tea, he’s afraid I’ll burn myself. After the whole coffee thing, I mean, I can’t blame him. I probably would. But I should be able to do the basic sub stuff anyway.”

“Tea has now become the standard for sub excellence.” Reed gave Curtis a very serious look that lasted all of five seconds before he snickered, patting Pike’s shoulder. “I’m putting it in the bet book. There will be no tea.”

“Tea? As in...” Curtis mimed drinking a cup with his pinky out. “Tea?”

Blowing out a breath, Pike nodded slowly. “Yes, tea. How many of those beers have you had? Hey…” He sat up a bit, the sudden move having Fresco scrambling up his arm to latch onto his shoulder, like he thought they were going somewhere. “That’s a great idea. Can I have a few shots with my beer? I used to get plastered for a lot of my college classes and I did all right. You’re a fucking genius, cuz.”

“Uh...” Avery looked around the bar. “Sir, we need an adult here, stat...” He trailed off, frowning. “Sir?” Reached up to his ear, eyes widening as he frantically dropped his hand to pat down his pockets. “Fuck.”

Reed made a choking sound, still bent over the bet book. “Either Pike or Avery are gonna be eating soap within the first ten minutes. Damn, this is gonna be…something. You want in on this, Matt?”

Pouring a few shots, Matt set them in front of Pike. “I say we’re all gonna end up watching an epic beating in the dungeon before the day is through.”

“Sir, what are they doing?” Coming out of the bathroom with Jacks, Danny stopped abruptly, then took a few steps back. “This is not going to end well.” He pulled out his phone, tapping at his screen. “I thought we’d get through at least the first part of the class before we needed a doctor.”

Jacks stepped around Danny, still moving like a model but like someone had put his catwalk on high speed. He plucked up the drinks from the bar, both beers and the shots, throwing them in the trash. Glasses and all. “No way. You’re not going into Jared’s first class trashed. He’s been working hard on that.”

“Well, there goes that one.” Reed climbed up on the bar from the steps Curtis had built for him on the other side, lifting up the bet book again to scribble out whatever he’d been jotting down in the bet book next. He grinned at Jacks. “Not gonna lie, I was curious to see how this would play out, but it was so worth it, seeing you flex like that. Super hot.”

Giving the wet rings on the bar a long look, Pike sighed. There went that idea. Surviving the class sober was gonna be rough. And he was still hungry, with Reed distracting Matt like he was determined to make Pike starve today.

The galley door opened, all kinds of amazing smells coming out. Keiran’s gaze went over all of them, his brow lifting a bit before he tossed something to Avery. “Yours shorted out.” He winked, glanced at Curtis then turned his attention to Jacks. “Sir, Rhodey said he’s impressed and you’re having a drink with him later. He says if anyone gives you trouble when you tell them to head to class now, he’ll deal with it. And also check your account…he wants more uniforms?”

“For...Avery?” Jacks glanced up at Avery, who’d swung into the rafters when Keiran mentioned the class.

“No, sir. For everyone. He says that way there won’t be anymore ‘bullshit about what to fucking wear’.” Keiran’s cheeks reddened and he ducked his head. “His exact words.” He cleared his throat, glancing up at Avery. “Can you tell Jared I’ll just be a minute? The snacks are almost ready.”

Fiddling with his earpiece, Avery nodded, then blew Keiran a kiss. “Thanks, lyubovnik mal'chik.”

Curtis groaned. “My sandwich...”

Sliding the plate to him, Matt shrugged. “You can always take off the cuff and be late.”

“Nah. I have a big mouth. I’ll just stuff it in. Was always Noah’s least and most favorite part of my body.” Eyeing the sandwich before he took a huge bite, Curtis frowned, then spoke around the mouthful. “I don’t undershtan why we put toothpicks with colored plastic frizzies on the top.” He swallowed the mouthful like he hadn’t even chewed it. “It’s not like the sandwiches have pants and these are the buttons to hold them up. I mean...even if they were and they fell down, what am I going to be offended by? Tuna butt?”

“You’re so weird, Daddy-o. I love you.” Reed pressed a noisy kiss to Curtis’ cheek, then wrinkled his nose. “But that’s all you’re getting until you brush your teeth. And eat a breath mint. And maybe have a few shots of whiskey. I don’t know how you can eat onions and tuna. It’s like boyfriend Raid.”

Taking another bite that turned out to be the rest of that half of the sandwich, Curtis grabbed Reed’s face with both hands and planted a deep kiss on his lips before he pulled away, laughing, to wipe his own mouth as he swallowed. “You know better, sparkles, than to challenge me like that. You asked for it.”

“Ugh, I know, but that was cruel. Matt, save me from our Dom.” Reed fished around under the bar. “Need something candy flavored stat.”

Pike stole the pickle from the side of Curtis’ plate, the crunch making his stomach a little happier. “I don’t know what he’s complaining about, fish and onions smells amazing. But don’t kiss me. Freak.”

Jacks rolled his eyes. “Forget it. None of you is worth saving. C’mon, little mouse. It’s time for class.”

Still choking a little on his sandwich at Pike’s comment, Curtis thumped his chest with the side of his fist and shook his head. “No. Wild wet dreams couldn’t tempt me. Besides, there has to be one person here in The Asylum immune from my charms. Even Rhodey’s thought about banging me. It’s getting embarrassing how popular I am.”

“You do know when I say I want to kill someone, I’m not implying anything else?” Rhodey stepped behind the bar, reaching over Matt’s head for the vodka. “Keiran did tell you what would happen if Jacks couldn’t get you there on time?”

“We were just leaving, my man.” Curtis swung Pike up into one arm. “Class time. Who’s with me?”

Reed slid to the edge of the bar, putting down the manga he’d started reading and slurping a bright red lollipop out from between his lips. “I don’t know, my Dom still hasn’t commented on my outfit. My feelings are hurt. I might have to skip class and drown my sorrows in the new ice cream Matt made.” He dramatically flopped back on the bar, wincing a bit as he gazed at Matt. “You love me. Tell me I’m pretty.”

Kissing Reed upside down, Matt grinned. “You’re super pretty. Let’s skip together. I know a great place to hide.”

Rhodey snapped his fingers, landing a solid smack on Matt’s thigh. “Neither of you are skipping. Get out of here before I see how pretty you both look when my belt hits your asses.”

“Hey!” Rubbing his thigh, Matt glowered, though he moved around the bar and headed toward the stairs. “My Dom did not give you permission to mark his property.”

“Your Dom is an intelligent man. He knows I don’t need it.” Rhodey lifted Reed off the bar and lowered him to his feet. “Go on, Tinkerbell, you know you look good, stop fishing for compliments. And don’t give Jared a hard time.”

Avery hopped down lightly from the rafters, being quiet even for him. The front of his coat was dusted with gold—not as much as Reed’s but enough so that he sparkled in the sunlight. Impossible to miss even if you couldn’t hear him.

Crouched down in front of him, Rhodey brushed a hand over Avery’s chest, then adjusted his collar. “You did well ‘peopleing’, my little viper. I won’t comment about how long it’ll take to get this shit off everything.” He glanced at his palm, shook his head, then straightened and tipped Avery’s chin up to press a kiss to his lips. “I’m proud of you. Stay on this level while you’re in Jared’s class. You’re a sub, not a merc in there. Understand?”

“Yes, sir.” Eyes shining from Rhodey’s praise, Avery gave him a pert nod. “And I will make tea with everyone.”

Rhodey snorted and patted Avery’s head. “Yeah, you do that. All the tea.” His expression became more serious. “If you’re not sure how you’re supposed to act, check in with Dallas or Keiran. Not the other subs. We want human behavior, not…whatever the fuck it is the rest of them get up to.” He pulled something out of his pocket, handing it to his boy. “And no writing. Give your hands a break and use this to record anything you think’s important or whatever. I’ll write it down for you later tonight.”

Leaning in, Avery placed a sweet kiss on Rhodey’s cheek. “You are the best, sir. Thank you. I love you.”

“I love you, too, my boy.” Rhodey smiled down at him, hand on Avery’s shoulder as he directed him to join the rest of them. “And remember what I said. There is no perfect sub. You’re mine and that’s all I expect you to be. Have some fun…with the tea.”

Tearing his gaze away from the two, Pike twisted a bit in Curtis’ hold to get Fresco off his shoulder, where he was digging his claws in to keep his balance. He tucked the kitten into the front of his hoodie, one arm around the back of Curtis’ neck, watching the rest of the subs file in. Most looked pretty relaxed, like there was nothing to worry about, but there was a lot of strained laughter and an underlying tension that made it obvious he wasn’t the only one nervous.

Which helped. A little.


****
Next up Part 37 

To keep up to date on all the happenings with The Asylum Fight Club, sign up to the newsletter HERE: https://www.subscribepage.com/j4m0q5 

There's also a new twitter account: https://twitter.com/asylumfightclub

And tons of socials where you can find info on the core! Keep an eye out for all the links so you never miss a thing!

Looking for official Asylum Fight Club merchandise? You can find it here: https://www.zazzle.com/store/asylumfightclub/products

As always, comments are welcome and spoilers can be discussed in the spoiler group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/244198880244923

All caught up on The Asylum and want to delve into our backlists?

Comments

  1. I love it! Shame we have to wait a week for the first lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading that I need a cup of tea ☕️ 😂

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this!!! All the interactions and, well, it just felt relaxed and joyful :) And Jacks confiscating the alcohol, perfect <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Reed and how he’s kind of become like Head Sub ❤️ I absolutely cannot wait to read all about Sub 101 and am stoked for Wren’s party. I also can’t wait for Past Justice to learn more about our darling Ez and Garet… always wondered if Noah and Tracey would retroactively adopt Reed and Ez just so they were officially part of the fam?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved it. Poor Pike still dealing with all that trauma.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw Rhodey and Avery just give me all the feelz

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts