Love & Stitches at The Asylum: Part Thirty-Seven

 

Welcome back to The Asylum!

School is in session and it's about to get...interesting.

Don't forget to leave a comment and make sure to sign up to the newsletter for updates, contests, and tons of stuff from The Core. There's a draw for a 50$ Gift Card going on now for all those who sign up so don't miss out!

Happy Reading!

 

First day of school nerves was weird as fuck in a kink club. Pike wrinkled his nose at the thought. What the hell did he have to be nervous about, anyway? Getting in all kinds of trouble? That was, like, no different from any day that ended in ‘Y’.

Except…he kept ending up stuck in a circle jerk of self-doubt. Seth loved him whether he was good or bad or somewhere inbetween. So did Quint. And Quint always made sure he didn’t do anything too bratty.

Quint’s not here. Ya gotta handle your own shit, dude.

Yeah, and he would. But for some reason the prospect had him feeling about two inches tall. If not for Curtis, no way would he have made it this far. Maybe he’d’ve done like some of the other subs and ducked into one of Danny’s hiding places.

Like fuck you would. You’re an O’Rourke. O’Rourkes don’t hide from nothin’.

Curtis had hid, but that was different. And he was smarter than the lot of them.

He’d gotten out. And stayed out.

Maybe if they did the same, more than him and Curtis would still be breathing. But Pike didn’t miss any of them. He didn’t want them around. He just had a hard time making sense of shit sometimes, all this ‘normal’ stuff that wasn’t his old normal. Everything was so much easier when he could just chill out and have fun and not have to try to figure shit out.

But the whole point of the class was so he could do better than that. So he could learn to give back to Seth even half of what his Dom did for him. Whatever it fucking took?

I won’t fail, sir. I swear on…not Fresco, he’s too cute. Something important though.

Hopefully, it counted that he’d try.

Holding the stairwell door open, Curtis waited for Reed to pass, giving him a huge kiss on his cheek. “Sorry for not flirting more, sparkle party. I thought you didn’t want to have anything to do with me until I brushed, flossed, and douched.”

Nose wrinkling a little, Reed huffed. “Good instinct, Daddy-o. Did you pick the lunch on purpose to make a horrible first impression at your first class? I love you, but damn.”

“Danny, does my breath smell that bad?” Walking up the stairs with Jacks, Curtis breathed in Danny’s face. “I can’t smell it. Can you?”

If he didn’t trip back fast enough to almost knock them all down the stairs, Pike would’ve found Danny looking like he was gonna faint hilarious. Along with the way he stuttered when he answered, shaking his head. “No, sir. I don’t think it’s that bad. But you may want to get checked for...everything.”

 Snickering, Curtis set Pike on his feet and held open the door to what he’d told Pike had been his original loft. The space had been turned into a wide-open school room, and the bedrooms were a play space with a bunch of younger kid toys, and a nursery. But those doors were closed. Where they’d be hanging out was at the old-fashioned desks that all faced a large chalkboard in precise rows.

“This makes me think of the one time my mom wanted to try homeschooling.” Eyes wide, Pike walked along the desks, trailing his fingers over the smooth surfaces. “She had a room set up by a designer and took all kinds of pictures. I had to wear this little suit and stand there, looking ‘studious’. She forgot she’d scheduled tea with some of her friends the first day. We ended up doing that instead. All they had was cucumber sandwiches and tea that tasted like grass.” He shuddered. “I would hate cucumbers for how many I’ve had to shovel down like that—or, well, nibble, because I was a good boy then. But they’re good with ranch dressing.”

Seated at the front of the class, patiently waiting like he’d been there all day and wouldn’t mind staying there for the rest of it, Wren glanced over his shoulder. “This will be nothing like what you’ve experienced. Or likely what any of us have. Jared is a very good teacher. And it won’t be noisy and no one will be throwing anything—please don’t throw anything? I think this will be fun.”

You find numbers fun. I’m not taking your word for it, dude.

Pike grabbed a seat next to Curtis at the back, dragging it over a bit so it was as close as he could get it. He slumped down, then sat up straight, not wanting Jared to come in and think he was gonna slack off.

Maybe I can still make a good impression…somehow.

“I hope everyone’s hungry. I was excited to try out some different realistic designs after the cupcake disguised as cheese I made for Danny the other day turned out so well.” Coming in with a huge tray, Keiran smiled like this was the most fun he’d ever had. He began to set apples on each desk, along with erasers, books, and small dunce caps. “They’re all different kinds of cake. I brought real apples too, if anyone wants some.”

He put a green one on Danny’s desk in the front row, stopping to pull up Danny’s hoodie and kiss his forehead, the tender gesture making Pike miss Quint even more.

He’s gotta work. Stop being a fucking baby.

“And I have pretzels that look like...well, pretzels, but I thought you’d enjoy them.” Those went to Wren. Then Keiran approached the teacher’s desk and set out the last of the cake apples and school supplies, including a few fat pens and pencils the rest of them hadn’t gotten. “These are cookies and a few of them broke while I was decorating them, so only Jared gets some, but I’ll try again for next class.”

Smiling like his boy had already aced the whole class, Dallas patted the seat of the desk next to his. “I wonder if ‘teacher’s pet’ rubs off on people nearby. Come give me some of that good luck charm.”

Keiran let out a happy sound, approaching Dallas and leaning in with his hands on the edge of his Dom’s desk. “I was a very good student. In class. Outside of it, I was very bad. I can show you after, sir, but you’ve already gotten a taste of what I did under the bleachers.”

“Mhm... I think we need to install some in the gym.” Leaning up a bit, Dallas brushed Keiran’s lips with a soft kiss before he pulled back. “Thank you for the treats. You think of everything.”

“I try, sir. I hoped it would start everything off on the right foot.” Keiran slid onto his chair. “This is...a little strange, though. I’m not used to sitting still when we’re not watching a target. I keep wanting to check for my knife, but Rhodey made me and Avery give him everything. He’s taking this seriously, so...I’ll do the same.”

“That’s my good boy.” Reaching over, Dallas took Keiran’s hand, threading their fingers together so they held hands across the aisle.

In front, next to Wren, Jamie had taken his seat. The sub sat on his hands, feet flat on the floor, and looked straight ahead like doing anything else would activate a Rube Goldberg machine that would bring the entire building crashing down. Matt, on the other hand, had already torn out one of the pages from his notebook and made a little football he was flicking back and forth from his desk to Reed’s, using his fingers as goal posts when it was Reed’s turn.

Everyone was ready, in their own way, for whatever the next few hours would bring.

Next few hours…

“Oh shit.” Pike scrambled out of his seat, looking at Curtis. “I didn’t bring any milk or anything for Fresco. Do you think I got enough time to go grab him something?”

Of course, Jared showed up that second, his wide shoulders taking up most of the doorway to the hall. Without speaking, he shut it with a click that had a note of finality about it, and approached the chalkboard. Wearing his normal suit slacks and a nice dress shirt open at the throat, he didn’t seem nervous. He also didn’t seem relaxed.

His gaze scanned the space like he assessed the mood of the room himself. Or for anything out of place. The last was a definite possibility. 

Because those ice blue eyes landed solidly on Pike.

Shrinking back onto his seat, Pike chewed on his bottom lip. Yeah, maybe standing right now wasn’t a good idea. He glanced over at Danny, who was making a weird motion under his desk, pointing at his hand, then up.

Are we learning fucking sign language in here, too? Can I have one lesson before I’m expected to know what shit means? 

“Put your hand up.” Danny sighed, leaning over. “Jared won’t be mad if you ask, you just have to do things properly.”

Oh…okay, that makes sense.

Pike stuck his hand up. “Sir, am I allowed to go grab something quick?”

Jared glanced at his watch, lifting his wrist and turning it slightly. “If you need to use the bathroom, there is one in here.” He pointed toward the partly opened door at the room’s far end. “Otherwise, once that door is closed, class is in session. If you feel ill, then either I or Quint will examine you.”

Lowering his hand, Pike chewed on his bottom lip. If Jared started thinking Fresco being here was gonna be a problem, he wouldn’t be allowed to bring him anymore. Hopefully, he’d be okay for a bit. “No, that’s okay, sir. I’m fine.”

“Good.” At the front of the room, Jared took up the chalk and turned toward the board to write everyone’s names. He drew a line under each, and the number 10 under those. “Ten strikes. You start with a full bank and many more than you would in baseball, the bar...” He dropped the chalk in the tray and dusted his hands as he faced the class. “Or with me. Normally.” His gaze landed on Jamie. “How many do we get in the bar, Jamie?”

“Um...none?” Hands laid on the desk in front of him now, feet squared on the floor, Jamie looked weird being so still.

“Correct.” Jared picked up the chalk again, and put an 11 under Jamie’s name before he erased the 10. “You may gain points as well. More than one at a time, and you can lose more than one at a time. Since we’re here to learn, you get the opportunity to make mistakes. Unlike out there.” He pointed toward the door. “Honest mistakes. Not deliberate ones. Those...will be punished. Am I making myself clear? Questions are welcome.”

There were a few nods, quiet voices saying, “Yes, sir,” and some shifting around, most of that coming from Reed, who couldn’t seem to find a comfortable position in his chair.

He finally put his hand up. “Sir, can I sit on the desk? I won’t get in anyone’s way, I promise.”

“Will you also promise to sit at your desk properly if I tell you it is necessary for a lesson?” Jared propped one hip on the front, right corner of his large teacher’s desk.

Reed nodded quickly, already out of his seat. “Yes, sir, I can do that.”

Picking up one of the treats Keiran had left on his desk, Pike took a bite, choking back a laugh as Fresco’s paw came out to swat at the crumbs on his desk. So far, the class wasn’t starting off as scary as he’d thought it would be. There was no marching. Or tea. Maybe he’d actually make it through this without screwing up too bad.

“Danny, you may sit under my desk if you promise the same.” Jared motioned in the direction of his wooden chair. “You will come out without argument or complaint when I tell you it’s time.”

A huge sigh of relief came from Danny as he scrambled over to Jared, rising up on his tiptoes to press a kiss to his cheek. “Thank you, sir. You’re the best. And thank you for letting me know there wouldn’t be a dozen tea kettles in here. That was very concerning.”

“Of course, little Despereaux. You and anyone who feels the need may text me with questions.” Ruffling Danny’s brown hair, Jared gave him a fond look, then addressed the class again. “What I’d like to hear from each of you, and what you will be writing tonight for me, is an essay on what you believe you have to offer as a submissive. Your essay will be as long as you like, but no fewer than three-hundred words. It will be positive. Affirming. You will not disparage yourself in any way. Even if you are not the most secure person in the room, you will find at least three things...” Brows rising, he looked around the room. “Why is no one writing this down?”

Eyes going wide, Pike grabbed for his pencil, knocking it off the side of his desk, along with his notebook. Fresco scampered across his lap, jumping after them like this was a fun new game. Grabbing for him, Pike grunted as he landed on his ass on the floor. “Yeah…so that was real smooth.” He peered up at Curtis. “Can I copy your notes?”

“Yeah, ‘course.” Pencil between his lips, Curtis leaned over to pluck Fresco off the floor and give Pike a hand up. 

Jared coughed behind his fist, then cleared his throat. “The pet is welcome, little gremlin. However, you are not to chase him around the room. Let him roam where he wishes if he jumps down.”

Holding Fresco to his chest, Pike gave Jared a little smile. “Really? That would be cool, sir. But people gotta be careful not to step on him.” He scuffed his sneaker against the floor. “And, umm…I forgot to bring him milk or water or anything. I don’t wanna be disruptive, but he might get thirsty.”

“There is milk in the kitchen fridge for our coffee break.” Jared pointed toward the open archway, where several carafes had been set on a white granite island, along with spoons and napkins. “Can it wait until then?”

Pike nodded, putting Fresco on the floor when he squirmed, keeping an eye on him as he raced across the room to attack Dallas’ boots. “I think so, sir. Thank you. He really won’t be any trouble, I promise.” He retrieved his pencil and notebook, hoping Fresco wouldn’t make him regret saying that. I can get in plenty of trouble all on my own, little guy. He slid back behind his desk. “Did you say three things? Wait, nevermind…” He stretched over to look at Curtis’ notes. “I got this.”

“How to pay attention will be a key component of what you learn in this class. Therefore, I will never repeat myself. I will explain. You may question. In fact, I encourage it. However, if you cannot tell me what was said when I call on you to do so—” Jared motioned toward the board, arm outstretched. “—points will be taken off. Therefore, I do suggest you keep distractions to a minimum.” He nodded at Jamie. “You’re off movement restrictions. Good job. We will set the bar higher next class.”

Bandaged fingers immediately going to his thighs, which he tapped like a piano, Jamie nodded. “Yes, sir. Thank you.”

Keiran put his hand up. “You said no more than three-hundred words, sir, and you were mentioning three things you’d like us to include before you asked why we weren’t writing everything down. What were those things, please?”

“No fewer, and yes. Thank you.” Adjusting his arms so they were folded a little more loosely at his chest, Jared nodded his agreement. “You are to include three specific examples of times when you demonstrated those things you have to offer as a submissive. Grammar, punctuation, spelling, will count toward your grade, as will completeness of the assignment. Creativity that remains within the bounds of honesty will be rewarded. What other questions do you have?”

Pencil eraser between his lips, Pike stared down at his notes, drawing a blank. Not only with questions, but… What do I offer as a sub? He had no idea. But he knew who would. He bit back a smile, giving himself a pep talk under his breath. “If I take really good notes, Quint will make sure I don’t fail. All I gotta do is make it through the class without breaking any rules and I’ll be golden.”

“Would anyone, for instance, like to know how many points this assignment will be worth?” Jared tipped his chin down, looking at them all from under his brows.

Dallas and Curtis both raised their hands briefly with their, “Yes, sir.”

Shifting to the edge of his desk, legs swinging, Reed nodded. “That would be good. And, like, are there other ways to get points?” He shot Keiran a slanted grin. “Doesn’t look like being a teacher’s pet does it.”

“Neither does being a pain in the ass.” Keiran gave Reed a dirty look. “Keep it up and you can figure out how to make cake pops on your own.”

Walking to the board, Jared wrote a 9 under Keiran and Reed’s names, erasing the 10, then turned, not commenting. “The assignment is worth ten points. You may also earn points through correct answers in class, good form, excellent—and I do mean excellent—shows of submission, and for many other things we will discover over time.”

That didn’t sound too hard. Pike wasn’t sure he’d manage to gain any points, except with assignments and a lot of help from Quint, but at least he might be able to avoid losing them. He jotted down a few more notes, finishing his snacks, then reaching over to Curtis’ desk to sneak his apple cupcake, since he wasn’t eating it anyway.

“Inside your desks, you’ll find your syllabus. Please take it out and read it over now. You’ll note we have ten classes together, before I’ve asked the other Doms to teach a module each. After which, there will be an exam.” Lifting a leather bag from the floor, Jared set it on the teacher’s desk. “You will each volunteer to be the class model for one of the ten classes we have together. You have ten points to vote for one or more of the modules. You may put all of your points in one, spread them out over several, or put one in each. Whoever has the highest point total devoted to that class will win. If there is a tie, I will flip a coin to choose.”

From under Jared’s desk, Danny’s voice came out with a note of concern. “So we’re putting in points for what we want to volunteer for? Can I put all mine into whatever the safest thing is now? Maybe…kneeling? Please excuse me, I’m going to read over what the options are.”

Wren lifted his hand. “Sir, may we volunteer more than once?”

“I’m afraid not, little raven. We have ten submissives or switches, and ten classes.” Gaze warming, Jared showed he had very little problem with Wren’s eagerness.

“But…” Pike clamped his mouth shut, shaking his head. He wiped his chocolate covered fingers on his jeans. Not drawing attention to himself was his best bet. He wrote that down in the margin of his notebook, with two screaming faces on either side so he wouldn’t forget it again.

“What is it, little gremlin?” Jared’s attention shifted to Pike. “Questions are not punished, if they’re respectful.”  

Swallowing hard, Pike sat up a bit. “I was just wondering about the classes the other Doms will be doing and if the volunteer stuff will work the same way. Because then…I guess if someone wanted to, they could volunteer twice. But I get that you meant with you. I was just thinking dumb sh—stuff out loud. Sorry.”

Sighing, Jared glanced at the board, then back to Pike. “Normally, I would take two points for insulting yourself. This is your warning. I will let you off with that since you voiced your question despite your misgivings. I won’t be lenient again.” He straightened, walking the aisle between the desks to stand in front of Pike. “It was an excellent question, and I am impressed with your attention to detail. To answer you, how each Dom conducts his module will be up to him.”

“That makes sense.” Pike put his hand over his book so he wouldn’t lose points for drawing in it. Most teachers didn’t like that and he was lucky he hadn’t already screwed himself over. “I’ll be more careful about saying bad stuff about myself…or anyone else, I guess? Thanks for giving me a warning instead of…taking away points. I really wanna show Seth I did good.”

“I should also mention...” Gaze dropping to the essay book, then lifting again to meet Pike’s eyes, Jared nudged his fingers against Pike’s bangs. “What is in your essay book is yours to share or do with as you please. If you write a thought in it, or...draw a picture, that is your thought and your picture. Not mine. Or anyone else’s.” Turning swiftly, he strode back to the front of the room to address the class. “And if you would like to lose all ten points at once? Insult the intelligence or contribution of a classmate. You will find yourself over this desk and caned. Are we clear?”

There were a lot of very fast nods, every single pencil stilling like no one wanted Jared to think they weren’t paying attention. Except for Pike’s pencil, which slipped out of his hand and rolled to the floor, where it seemed to want to exist.

At least the clatter was cut off by a knock at the door, which had everyone turning to stare at it instead of him and gave him a chance to pick it up. Without falling, but it was a really close call.

Jared went to the door, unlocking it and turning the knob to draw it open.

“My apologies for coming late, sir. I had a patient who needed a bit of extra reassurance, but I’m clear for the rest of the class if it’s all right for me to join in.” Quint sounded a bit breathless, like he’d run over from the Clinic. He was still wearing his jacket, his hair rumpled and sticking to his forehead. “If not, I completely understand and I’ll do my best to clear my schedule for the next one.”

“You know you don’t need to apologize for doing your job, my boy. Come in and take a seat—” Jared started to close the door as Quint entered. “No. Not next to Pike. Front of the class. Keiran, please catch Quint up.”

Already halfway across the room, Quint stopped short, turning and looking at Jared like he’d just tried to reinvent the alphabet. “I’m sorry, sir?”

Reed coughed over a laugh, laying on his desk on his stomach and dangling his fingers for Fresco to play with. “Hoboy, this is gonna be interesting.” He looked over at Matt. “I’ll write down my bet and you write down yours. Whoever’s right gets a blowjob in the showers after class.”

“Reed. Bottom on your chair. Ten minutes.” Jared walked to the board, erasing three points from Reed’s score. “You are skating perilously close to insulting a classmate.”

Lips parted, Reed slid off his desk. He shook his head even as he sat. “I didn’t mean… I was just teasing, sir.” He pulled his book closer, away from where he’d somehow manage to perch it on the very edge of his desk, because gravity liked him. His jaw worked as he scowled down at it. “I’m not gonna say anything else. No way am I failing this class.”

“Quint? Here.” Jared indicated the desk he’d chosen for Quint with a slight wave as he passed on the way to his own.

Hesitating, Quint met Pike’s eyes. Pike quickly shook his head, mouthing, ‘I’m okay.’

Which Quint didn’t seem fully convinced with, but he nodded, going to the desk and sitting down. He looked a little distracted as Keiran leaned over and got him caught up, but took about twice as many notes as Pike had. Because apparently Keiran had written down absolutely everything Jared had said.

“Does anyone have questions about the classes on the syllabus?” Jared swept the room with his gaze. It seemed like this first class was going to be an orientation, because there wouldn’t be enough time to go through all of the topics listed. 

Danny popped his head up from the other side of Jared’s desk. “Can I have a doctor’s note for the pain class? I think I’m going to be getting the flu.”

“We will discuss limits in the class on submission. It is the first class for a reason.” Jared’s smile was kind as he leaned over the desk to ruffle Danny’s hair. “Your limits will be respected, I promise.”

Letting out a relieved sigh, Danny gazed up at him. “Thank you, sir. But isn’t this the first class? I can write out all my limits, I have a lot of them.”

Since Danny was distracting Jared, Pike slipped off his chair, moving as quietly as he could across the class to sit on the floor, resting his head against Quint’ s thigh. He spoke in a whisper. “I’m really glad you were able to come. I didn’t lose any points yet. And Jared said Fresco’s welcome in class.”

Clucking his tongue, Quint picked him up, speaking just as quietly. “I’m glad I could, too, but let’s keep you out of trouble, brat. You have to stay in your own seat.” He carried Pike back to his desk, sitting him in his chair and adjusting his sweater. “This is new. Are you warm enough?”

“Quint.” A finger snap had everyone’s attention going to Jared, who stood by Quint’s empty seat. “There is a reason I sat you here. Do I need to explain it, or can you intuit it?”

Frowning, Quint shook his head. “No, sir. I understand. If you’ll just give me one moment, I’ll return to my place.” Without waiting for Pike’s answer about whether or not he was cold, he took off the sweater he’d been wearing under his jacket and laid it over Pike’s shoulders. “Now, be good.” He walked back over to his desk, taking his seat and picking up his pencil. “My apologies for the disruption, sir. Please continue.”

“Were there questions on the syllabus.” A statement this time, not an actual question. Jared picked up the chalk and knocked a point off Quint’s score.

“Hey, that’s not fair.” Pike started standing, then sat back down when Quint made a sharp motion and shook his head. “Well it’s not.” He put up his hand. “Sir, may I please ask that you take a point from me instead? It’s my fault Quint had to get up. I won’t do it again, I was just happy to see him and…it wasn’t interrupting. You can take as many points as you think I deserve. I don’t want to make things harder for him.”

Jared did, in fact, swipe a point off Pike’s score, but didn’t replace the one on Quint’s. “Quint. Whose choice was it to save Pike from my notice by returning him to his seat?”

“It was mine, sir. And your decision is perfectly fair. I’ll make sure he doesn’t do something like that again.” Quint lowered his brow at Pike when he opened his mouth again. “Enough, brat. You arguing is not going to improve the situation.”

Another point disappeared from Quint’s score. “Call him ‘brat’ in my classroom again, and you will be caned. You are not a Dom, a substitute Daddy, or anything else other than his co-sub in this classroom. I was hoping not to call this out so soon, but the line is here. You will not cross it. You are here for you. He is here for himself. Outside of this room, you have a relationship that is well understood, but that is not what we are exploring here. I will be the only Dom in this classroom while I am here.” The chalk didn’t leave Jared’s hand, like he expected more trouble. “And Pike would not have lost points for coming to see you. No one has lost points for leaving their seat or needing accommodations. This, however, is not an accommodation. It is interfering in my ability to teach you each as individuals and as submissives. Which is why I have put you up front, where you can’t see him. So you won’t be tempted to focus on him rather than yourself.”

Lowering his gaze to his desk, Quint didn’t speak for a long moment. When he did, it was really quiet. “I do understand, sir. And I respect your decision. You’re right, it would be…difficult not to focus on him. I hope you will be patient if it takes some adjustment. But…I will do my best not to interfere in your methods or your teaching again.”

Eyes burning, Pike looked down at his own book. There was no way he’d do anything again to ruin Quint’s own chances of doing good in the class, but now that everything was out there it felt…even more like he wasn’t like the other subs. They didn’t need anyone to tell them how to behave. Or to check and make sure they were comfortable. Or…or… Ugh, he didn’t like this at all. He wanted to curl up on Quint’s lap so he could tell him everything was gonna be okay and that wasn’t fair.

At least with Quint over there he couldn’t see him getting all teary and messy and worry. Jared had been really smart to do that. Except it also really sucked.

For a second, Pike thought maybe gravity had decided to do a one-eighty and stop working altogether, because he found himself midair before he realized Curtis had lifted him from his seat. Deposited in Curtis’ lap, he was cuddled close. “I gotcha, little cuz.” He whispered in Pike’s ear. “He can take all the points he wants from me and break that fucking cane over my ass. Not gonna let you go.”

“But I don’t want you to get in trouble. I thought I was gonna be the one getting in all the trouble.” Pike used Curtis’ chest to stifle a sob. “I’m sorry. I’m trying really hard. I swear I am. I can be a good sub. Seth thinks I’m good…sometimes. But I make him smile and that counts, right?”

Clearing his throat, Reed spoke up, his voice soft and more polite than it had been all class. “Sir, may we have a short recess break? And can I get everyone some water or…something?” He paused. “Or maybe Matt could help me make some tea?”

“Yes. Let’s take a break. There is coffee in the kitchen, and grapefruit juice as well as Red Bull and chocolate.” Jared eyed Pike, then seemed to decide Curtis had things under control. “Fifteen minutes, then back in your seats. Please do not leave the loft.”

Arms wrapped around Curtis’ neck, Pike pouted a bit. “I don’t want to go back to my seat. I like sitting with you. But…I guess we can worry about that after the break. I want some chocolate milk.”

 Curtis stood, bringing Pike with him to Quint. He set Pike down gently with a kiss to the top of his head. “I’ll take him back to my seat with me after break.” He addressed Quint, then Pike. “Do you want a loopy straw with your milk? Or just a bendy one?”

Curled up against Quint’s chest, snug with his co-sub’s arms around him, Pike held still as Quint wiped off his cheeks with his sleeve, smiling up at Curtis. “A loopy one would be cool, if there’s any. And some cookies?”

Meeting Curtis’ eyes, Quint drew in a shaky breath. “Thank you. I appreciate this…more than I can say.” He stroked Pike’s hair. “Maybe some tissues if you wouldn’t mind?”

“Coming right up.” Curtis went off toward the nursery, coming back quickly with a box of extra soft tissue that had yellow rubber ducks all over it. “We should probably get a box for out here. It looks like Sub 101 will be both fun and difficult.” He chuckled wryly. “Like being a sub.”

Quint inclined his head, his smile back where it belonged. “Yes, but it will be good for everyone. I probably won’t love every part of it, anymore than the rest of you, but I’m glad we’re doing this.” He looked over to where Wren was crouched beside the teacher’s desk, laying out cookies like he was trying to lure Danny out. “It’s going to take some adjustments, with so many different personalities.”

“Truer words.” Curtis held out his fist to Quint, which was weird until his cuff flashed in the overhead lights—a reminder that he was in his switch space right now. 

Quint bumped his fist against Curtis’, looking from him to Keiran, who’d brought Jamie a cupcake and was crouched down beside him, looking over his notes and speaking softly as he wrote down a few things, pointing out others before he used his eraser, probably fixing any spelling mistakes. “I have a feeling the ones who struggle the most won’t be who would be expected to. Submission is easy for some on the surface. Except when it’s challenged. That caretaker role is a very hard one to set aside for any reason.”

“I had to do something, or you would take all the points from everyone.” Jared’s voice was darkly teasing.

Straightening, Curtis hooked a thumb toward the kitchen. “I’ll get that milk.”

Lifting his gaze, Quint looked like he was studying Jared’s face, but his smile didn’t fade. “I probably would have, sir. I like pleasing you.” His brow creased slightly. “So this…is meant to be a challenge? I haven’t disappointed you?”

“Not in the least have you disappointed me.” Jared pulled up one of the desk chairs. “It is meant to challenge you to look more closely at your own submission. You’ve been in the lifestyle longer than anyone in this room, excepting myself. To get something out of it, you’ll need to dig deeper. Be willing to look at some things that are harder. For you.”

Slipping his fingers between the buttons on Quint’s light blue shirt, Pike huffed as Quint took a tissue and used it to wipe his face. “Nothing’s hard for Quint. He’s perfect. And you should give him his points back.”

“Blow.” Quint put the tissue over his nose. “And I am not perfect, br—Pike.”

“My name is now brat.” Pike batted the tissue away. “You’re being impossible. Let me help.”

“You may call him whatever you wish during breaks. And you, little gremlin, will do well. So long as you keep in mind what Seth expects from you.” Standing, Jared gave Quint an approving nod, then moved off to help Wren with Danny.

Quint pressed his lips to Pike’s forehead, then brought them to his ear. “It’s going to be okay, my sweet little brat. You’re surrounded by people who care about you. Jared included. I’m not going to tell you what to do in this class, except think about what Seth would expect from you. But try not to forget that. You can’t go wrong if you’re trying and being honest about what you have to give and what you need.”

“I need you to have those p—” Pike slumped against Quint’s shoulder when his co-sub put his hand over his mouth. “Fine, I’ll shut up about the points. But you’d better earn them back quick or I’m throwing a tantrum and losing all of mine.”

Quint chuckled, leaning back a bit. “How in the world is that going to improve the situation?”

“Seth will be too busy spanking me to get mad at you.” Pike tugged on one of Quint’s buttons, handing it to him when it came loose. “Simple math.”

A bottle of chocolate milk with a green and yellow glitter loopy straw stuck inside appeared on Quint’s desk along with a pile of cashew turtle brownies and two bowls of Matt’s ice cream. “I got a text from Seth. He said they’re all watching us like some effed up version of reality television in the bar. He also said you’re both doing great, and he wishes he were fighting with Jared still because then he could tell you to get all his subs in trouble. But don’t do that.”

“We won’t.” Quint spooned some ice cream, holding it to Pike’s lips before he could say anything. “Indulge me a little and let me feed you and cuddle you for the time I have left. You are not finding a way to get into mischief during break.”

Talking around the spoon, Pike wrinkled his nose. “Even I’m not that bad. I’m just sitting here.” He sat up as Fresco trotted over and started eating one of the cookies on the floor. “Fuck! No, Fresco! You’re gonna make yourself sick!”

Reed scooped Fresco up, breaking one of the cookies into little pieces under his knee. “I got him.” He looked down at the mess he’d made. “I think we’re gonna need a broom. How’d you turn into the messy one, Wren?”

That got a horrified look from Wren as he rose up from behind the desk. “I’m not, this usually works with Danny...” He looked around the room like cleaning supplies would suddenly appear. “I need to take care of that immediately. Thank you for letting me know. Try not to break any more.”

Jared was back again, a wet brown paper towel in his hand. The weird smell that all the subs could only describe as ‘poison pink’ wafted on the air. “One minute.” He held the towel up to Pike’s lips. “Hold it in your mouth, then go rinse.”

Groaning, Pike opened his mouth. “But I was saving my kitten from the cookies Wren got all over the place.” He let Jared put the nasty thing in his mouth, trying to talk around it and only making the sharp, bitter taste spread.

Now his treats weren’t going to taste as good. Maybe nothing would ever taste good again.

This has to be the worst punishment in the world.

Watch beeping, Jared nodded at him from where he supervised the cookie cleanup. “Quint, you may go with him.”

“Thank you, sir.” Quint swept Pike right up in his arms, bringing him to the kitchen, where several of the subs were still gathered. He turned on the faucet and cupped some water in his hand. “If you rinse well the taste won’t linger as much. You have to be more careful about the swearing. I’m fast, but you caught me off guard after proving yourself wrong about getting in trouble while sitting there. That was…pretty impressive.”

Slurping up the water running into Quint’s palm, Pike rinsed and spit probably a thousand times before his mouth felt even close to normal. “You should have known better. I’m creative about being bad.”

“You are not bad.”

“I have soap in my mouth. I can call myself whatever I want.”

Coming over with Fresco, Reed handed him to Pike, opening the cupboard and finding a little plastic bowl. He filled it with water. “You lost one point, Pike. I’ve lost five. You’re not doing as bad as I thought you would—even though I bet on the swearing, which was a dick move on my part, but you lasted half the class before you slipped up.” He put the bowl on the counter, smiling down at Fresco as he began drinking and playing in it. “If it helps any, I figured I’d do terrible, even though it was my idea. I get all restless and just say whatever and…well, this ain’t a teacher Noah can intimidate to put up with my ish. Tracey might, but it would be super weird, calling her to ask for help not to fail my kinky classes.”

Quint gave Reed a concerned look. “If you’d like, there’s other medication we can try to help you focus and won’t have any of the side effects you were struggling with. I’ll speak to Stephan—”

“No, it’s cool. And you’re a sub now, not a doctor.” Reed hooked his thumbs to the pockets of his shorts. “Stephan’s got me working on some exercises that help—I really wanna stick with that. I’ll go see him after class and see if he has any more suggestions. He told me to bring something to fidget with and I…kinda forgot it, so that’s on me.”

“Jared brought you and me fidget spinners. You just have to ask him for one.” Jamie sidled up to Reed, bumping his shoulder into Reed’s arm.

Lips curving slightly, Reed glanced over at him. “You mean I shoulda thought of the obvious thing? It’s like you don’t know me at all.” He lifted his shoulders. “If I lose any more points, I’ll ask. You’ve been doing really good, though. Noah’s gonna be happy with you. Jared’s gotta be happy he doesn’t have to worry about his own subs in his class.”

Jamie raised one dark brow, not in a Dom way, but in a screwy face way. He lowered his voice, leaning in toward Pike and Quint. “Dude. My Dom’s the teacher. Do you have any idea the lecture I got before coming down here? Or the promise of dire effing consequences? Like, my ass clenches just thinking about the epic beat down.”

“That’s hot.” Reed wiggled his brows at Jamie, then let out a heavy sigh. “Lawson talked to us all a bit. He said he expects us to do our best, but to remember we’re here to learn, so not to be surprised if we don’t know everything. So…I guess the bar isn’t set too high and that’s something?”

Using Quint’s shirt to wipe off his mouth just so he’d tsk and laugh like he always did when Pike did something silly, Pike hopped back up in his arms, bringing Fresco with him. “I think I’ll be able to drink my chocolate milk now. And eat my snacks. And cuddle.”

Quint chuckled, giving him a little squeeze before heading back to the class. Where Jared was at the board. Taking off more points.

Come on.” Reed groaned, dropping heavily into his seat and burying his face between his arms. “This can’t be happening. I’m gonna have points in the minuses before this class is over.”

That will not happen.” Watching Jamie, who was now at nine points, Jared placed the chalk in the tray with a rolling clatter. “You will be disciplined at zero, and your account will be at one point afterward.”

Rubbing his hand over his mouth, Quint eyed the blackboard before bringing all of Pike’s snacks, and his chocolate milk, to Curtis’ desk. “I should have kept an eye on the time. Sit with Curtis and finish this quietly.” He lifted Fresco out of Pike’s arms. “I’ll keep him with me for a bit. Just don’t forget what I said.”

“I won’t.” Pike curled up on Curtis’ lap, sucking at his straw and letting out a happy sigh as Quint adjusted his sweater over him like a blanket. “This is much better.” He snickered when Quint wiped something off his cheek with his thumb. “You better go sit down before you lose any more points. You’re being naughty.”

“I am not. I’m making sure you’re all right.”

“I’m comfy and I have snacks. Seriously, I’m good. I swear.”

A piece of crumpled paper whipped through the air, Quint catching it right before it could hit him in the head. He looked over his shoulder at Keiran.

Who hissed under his breath. “Sit. Down.”

Glancing at his watch, Jared removed two more points from Quint’s score, knocking him down to four.

Quint’s eyes widened a little before he crossed the room, sliding into his seat.

There was something about seeing Quint, who was such a good sub, who tried so hard, losing so many points that he was the lowest in the class that made Pike want to throw something. He growled under his breath, kicking Curtis’ desk. “So not cool. If he wants to see bad, I can show him bad.”

Under his breath, Curtis spoke out of the side of his mouth. “You do not want to see that man with a cane.”

“I still have seven points.” Pike chewed at his bottom lip, staring at the numbers on the blackboard. He didn’t want to make Jared mad, but…he was mad. And he was tired of being good when the good subs kept getting in trouble for little things. But he wouldn’t do something just for the hell of it.

He’d wait for the right opportunity. No one could expect him to behave for the whole class, right?

Downstairs, a door slammed, cutting off a few shouted words that sounded like they’d come from Seth. Everyone’s eyes went to the door, but no one came upstairs and everything was quiet after. Jared pointed to two subs at a time. “You two, you two, you, you both, and you. Keiran, you’re with me. These will be your lab partners, so to speak, for the rest of the classes, including this one.”

What the hell was going on?

Why is Jared putting me with Jamie?

Did the guy not know what a bad idea that was? No, Jared was really smart. He knew. This was another fucked up test or something.

Pike held up his hand. “Sir, I can’t sit on Jamie’s lap, that’s not gonna work. He should go with Dallas.”

“The partners are non-negotiable, and thankfully there will be very little lap sitting in this class unless we’re fucking.” Hearing the word come out of Jared’s mouth was...yeah. 

Hand still in the air, Pike grabbed Curtis’ arm with the other. No way was he moving from this spot. “Why?”

“Why...what?” Hiking one pant leg, Jared leaned against the teacher’s desk.

“Well, I’m not fucking Curtis, obviously.” Pike cocked his head, then held up a finger, taking a sip of his chocolate milk. Strangely, most of the other subs seemed to have stopped breathing. “And I’m sitting on his lap. Where I’m gonna stay. Unless I can sit on someone else’s lap I guess, if we’re doing the lab partner thing. Why can’t we sit on laps without fucking people? And is that in the syllabus?”

“Pike? You have lost the privilege of sitting on anyone’s lap for the next half hour. Take your own seat.” Incredibly, Jared didn’t reach for the soap or knock any points off Pike’s bank.

Kicking Curtis’ desk again, Pike folded both arms around his cousin’s muscular one and shook his head. “No, thank you, sir. You said I could ask questions and I’m doing that. And you haven’t answered any of them so I’m really confused now.”

“Are you, little gremlin? Because I don’t believe you are. There are several basic rules that you’ve demonstrated you understand how to follow very well...” Jared paced up the aisle, coming closer like he stalked Curtis’ desk. His voice had grown eerily quiet, the only other sound audible in the room Jamie’s quiet hiss. “One of them is not to swear. The second is not to question a direct order unless it endangers you or someone else, or you don’t understand how to execute it.” He stopped before Curtis’ desk now. “And I do believe, my boy, that you shouldn’t play poker. Because I know and you know, that you are baiting me.”

Chewing on his bottom lip, Pike tried to meet Jared’s eyes and show him he wasn’t afraid, but he really was. He looked down at his chocolate milk, sucking up the last bit so he could think. Quint was telling him all the time to think before he did stuff. So he did. “Sir, I do know not to swear, but I don’t know how to ask you about something you said without repeating it. Can you please explain what you want me to do?”

“I’d like you to go to the board, right now, alone. Write a two under your name, and list three synonyms for fucking that are not curse words.” Jared placed the chalk on the desk in front of Pike.

All right, if this was poker, Pike had definitely overplayed his hand. The points he’d lost made him feel a bit better, though. There was no way he was letting Quint get punished instead of him. He picked up the chalk, glancing over at Quint, whose face was red, his notebook in his hands like he was trying to strangle it to death.

“Yes, sir.” Pike looked over at Curtis, smiling so his cousin knew it was okay to let him go. “I’ll be right back.”

“All right, ceann beag.” Curtis loosened his hold. “I’ll be right here.”

Slipping off his cousin’s lap, Pike walked up to the blackboard, using his hand to erase the seven under his name and replace it with a great big two. He spent a bit of time working on the shading so it looked like it was coming right off the board. His art illusions prof would be impressed.

Except Jared’s tsk told him the Dom wasn’t. “Such a shame. I never said you should erase the seven. Or where to place the two. But what’s done is done, and that is an awfully nice two. I hope it compensates for the other seventy you could’ve had.”

The back of Pike’s neck heated. He stomped over to the other side of the board, reaching up as high as he could and writing in big letters ‘ALL THE OTHER WORDS FOR FUCK.’

Taking up another piece of chalk, at the board with Pike now, Jared erased Quint’s number and wrote in a ten. He commented as he wrote, “For exemplary self control.”

Quint made a strangled sound, and his notebook might be actually dying from the noise the paper was making. Getting his points back didn’t seem like it was making things better at all. Which was probably why Jared had done it.

“Please, proceed.” Motioning dryly to Pike, Jared knocked his two off the board with the eraser and wrote in a very flaccid looking 1. “Swearing in the written form is still swearing. Let’s see your substitute words. Also known as synonyms. I don’t wish to be unclear.”

There were a lot of times Pike messed up. He’d totally expected to in class, but this was different. He’d backed himself into a corner and he didn’t know what to do anymore. His vision sheened as he tossed the chalk at Jared’s feet. And said the one thing that might stop things before he was in even more over his head. 

“Unicorn.”

**** 

Check back tomorrow for Part 38

 

To keep up to date on all the happenings with The Asylum Fight Club, sign up to the newsletter HERE: https://www.subscribepage.com/j4m0q5 

There's also a new twitter account: https://twitter.com/asylumfightclub

And tons of socials where you can find info on the core! Keep an eye out for all the links so you never miss a thing!

Looking for official Asylum Fight Club merchandise? You can find it here: https://www.zazzle.com/store/asylumfightclub/products

As always, comments are welcome and spoilers can be discussed in the spoiler group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/244198880244923 


Comments

  1. Jared is so twisted sometimes - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah, I forgot how much of a hardass Jared could be, still love him though. Poor Pike, he had me in tears, and poor Quint, I sense a snap upcoming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The madness! I laughed so hard. I do feel for Pike though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, poor Pike and Quint. I knew Jared would not make class easy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts