Love & Stitches at The Asylum: Part Forty-Seven

 

There might be reasons to cry over spilled milk in The Asylum. But you know it'll be a riot either way!

Don't forget to comment with your thoughts and scroll down to the bottom for links to all the extras and ways to connect with other Asylum Fight Club readers!

Happy Reading!

The room brimmed with people, the Core, for the first time since the loft had been built. Jared looked around, a knot of tension in his middle, wishing Noah could’ve been a part of it. It seemed that whenever special things went down, his handicaps kept him from being a part of things. Separated him from the people who loved him and would want to show him how much they really needed him to complete their family. That Noah rarely could enjoy these moments, for one reason or another, twisted Jared into knots so deep he doubted they could ever be undone.

That and Jamie being in the kind of headspace that invariably slammed situations into a brick wall was enough to make Jared grind his teeth. Hopefully, Rhodey would be able to sort the boy out, because so help him, he was at the end of his own patience with the sub. The other man had the ability to cut to the heart of a matter in a way Jared trusted. Even when his methods were harsh, they worked. He was consistent, firm, and a fair judge of character.

“So...” He motioned awkwardly toward the media room. “What movie did we decide on? Keiran, Wren, I’ll help you bring the snacks in and make the popcorn.”

Lawson stood, shooting the door Rhodey had just exited through a slightly confused look before he motioned to Matt. “Come, my boy. Let’s go set up the movie. I believe the one chosen was Brave. Reed, bring Danny to the master bathroom to remove the nail polish.” His lips curved slightly. “Curtis, if Jacks and Shea need a ref, you’re it.”

Brows nearly reaching his hairline, Curtis stood, his gaze immediately shifting to the two men. “We getting in the ring, fellas?”

Shea huffed as he watched Reed lead Danny away, the smaller sub completely hidden in his hoodie, until they disappeared into the main bedroom. “No, we’re not getting in the fucking ring.” He sighed and put his hand over Jacks’. “I’m sorry. I love how you fix him up all cute, but I can’t deal with the kind of shit that has him afraid to put a hair out of place.”

Tearing his gaze away from the door to the main bedroom, Jacks nodded slowly, his lips thinning. “I know. I should be more careful what I say. I’m so used to that mentality, I don’t always know when I’m spouting some bullshit I’ve internalized.” He shook his head, clearly frustrated with himself. “I love you, too. I’ll be more careful... And I don’t know what has Jamie walking on image eggshells, but Danny is very susceptible to it and we need to just...not.”

“Yeah. We’ll keep an eye on him.” Shea tugged Jacks close, leaning in for a kiss. He sucked on his co-Dom’s bottom lip, smiling as he spoke quietly to him. “And if you need a reminder I was first into you when you were sweaty and smelly at the gym, your hair plastered to your face, and no fucking makeup on, I can do that. Multiple times. I love you pretty and messy.”

Jacks’ slow smile flattened the peaks of his upper lip, heat flaring in his eyes. “Yeah? How messy?”

Satisfied all was well with the men, Jared noted Keiran and Wren at work, and headed toward the kitchen to check on Noah. Where everything was blessedly much quieter. “How are you holding up, love?” Stepping up to Noah’s side, Jared covered his hand. “The ice, if you choose to use it, shouldn’t stay on long.”

“I took it off for a couple of minutes.” Noah sighed, turning his hand so he could lace their fingers together. “If I can get across the loft and be distracted by the movie, I think I’ll be all right. The less I think about my dick turning into a deflated purple balloon, the better.”

“It won’t be quite that bad.” Jared squeezed Noah’s fingers. “It’s pretty lively in there, and Pike will be showing up. At least. What if I set you up in the bedroom with your books and a root beer? Unless you’re sure you want to be with everyone?”

Noah inhaled slowly. “I wanted to try for you and our boys, but…yes, that’s probably a better idea.” His brows lifted a little. “Pike, hmm? Are you sure you’re up for that?”

“I’m fine. I like the little rascal. Believe it or not. He’s authentic.” Wincing internally at everything he wasn’t saying about Jamie, Jared leaned down to kiss Noah’s lips. “Come, love. Let’s make you a blanket mountain and a tray. It will be the best night off you’ve had in peace for a while.”

Nodding, Noah braced himself on the table, standing and leaving the almost completely melted ice pack there. He visibly tried to adjust his walk as he approached the door, likely to avoid making it obvious he was uncomfortable, but his slow steps were hard to miss. “This is nothing if not humbling. Maybe it’s karma for me continuously reminding everyone we’re family here and shouldn’t be ashamed or afraid to ask for help.”

“I guarantee you, everyone here is both entirely sympathetic and glad it wasn’t them.” Noting the bathroom and bedroom were now empty, everything in place—other than Noah’s sleep shirt, which Jamie had discarded on the floor near the hamper—Jared drew back the covers and plumped up Noah’s favorite pillows just the way he liked them. “You can take your sweats off in here if you like. No one will come in other than me.”

Hesitating for a second, Noah blew out a breath and stripped off his T-shirt, then the sweat pants, tossing both toward the hamper. “What the hell, I might as well get comfortable.”

“Let me help you.” Jared tugged the elastic waistband of the remaining undergarment away from Noah’s groin. “You slide down the back. I’ve got the front.”

Thumbs hooked to his boxer briefs, Noah eased them down, his cheeks reddening slightly. “This is fucking embaressing too. I’ve managed better after a lot worse injuries.”

“There are a lot of nerve endings in your groin. For good reason. You’re not comparing apples to apples.” Jared slid downward, enjoying the heat of Noah’s skin, the musk of him, as he helped him remove his underwear.

“Yes…” Noah stared straight ahead. “Don’t tell me, but…does it look as strange as it feels?”

“It looks like you’re getting a nice bruise. I’ve seen some pretty intense ones with bicycle accidents as well as those who enjoy CBT. Which, unfortunately, you don’t.” Removing the clothes from the floor, Jared tossed them into the hamper along with Noah’s underwear.

Moving to the bed, Noah lowered himself to the edge. “No, I don’t. But I’m glad there’s no permanent damage. I’d be very unhappy, it’s one of my favorite body parts.”

“Hmm... Mine as well. Yours and mine, both.” Jared lifted first one of Noah’s legs and then the other gingerly onto the bed. “Books and root beer or a sedative? Your choice.”

“The books and rootbeer for now, the sedative for later?” Noah rested back against the pillows. “I have a feeling I’ll need it to get any sleep.”

“Yes, that’s likely.” Tucking the covers loosely around Noah’s torso, Jared looked him over. “It was an accident, but I’m still angry.”

Noah frowned, shaking his head. “I understand being angry at the situation. But like you said, it was an accident.”

Deciding this was enough talk about Jamie, Jared took a tray from the space between the bed and the bedside table. Unfolding it, he placed it to Noah’s left, toward the middle of the bed. “Would you like a snack?”

That got Noah shaking his head again. “No snack.” He gave Jared a knowing look. “You prefer subs who consider their actions carefully and you enjoy graceful submission. It’s a work in progress for a few of them. I’ll see what I can do to work with Jamie on that when I’m on my feet again.”

“Would you mind very much if I took that on?” Jared bent, adjusting one of the pillows so Noah’s neck would be supported, then moved his stack of books from the bedside table to the tray. “The classes might be a good way to approach this.”

“No, of course not.” Noah caught Jared’s wrist. “He’s your boy too. I don’t want what we can give him together to be lessened by any limits. You can give him whatever you think he needs.”

Stilling, Jared met Noah’s eyes, searching them to make certain the man he loved was one-hundred percent present. “Answer me truthfully. Where is your head right now?”

Noah released his wrist and sat back, his brow creasing. “I understand, after everything, why you’d ask me that. But I’m just in pain and worn out. I’m not going into the void or anything. I…want him to always have one of us. I want that for both him and Wren. I don’t want them ever to feel like we can’t take care of them.”

Nodding at the first part of Noah’s response, Jared listened to the rest with a growing sense of unease. “I thought you were doing well, but I needed to be certain. I can’t always tell. I hope you don’t worry about my asking.” He drew a deep breath, sitting gingerly on the edge of the bed, and took Noah’s left hand in his own. “I love you. I’ve loved you from the moment we met, platonically at first. Then that grew when it was appropriate into something...much more.” Lifting his gaze from the circle of rose and white gold around Noah’s ring finger, Jared met his gaze. “He’s the man you chose and the man you need, but he’s also your weakness. I know you, and I know where you’re exposed. If I seem to have a foot outside of our circle, it’s because I’ve never learned how not to watch out for you. Perhaps that is my lesson...but I’m not there yet.”

Noah closed his eyes. “Don’t make me talk about choices, Jared. Or what I need. I always have and always will need you. Please don’t ever doubt that. I love you. We all have this together and we can make it last. Can’t that be enough?”

“It is everything, and it is enough. More than. Don’t misunderstand me, please, love.” Jared patted Noah’s hand. “I’ll get that root beer. Is there anything else you’d like from the loft?”

“No, that’s all. Thank you.” Noah opened his eyes again, meeting Jared’s. “I appreciate you being here. Taking care of me. Letting me give some of that back. I’ll never fully repay you, but I don’t focus on that anymore. I’m just happy to love you.”

Gaze softening, Jared reached out to brush a stray lock of hair from Noah’s forehead. Which fell right back, like it always did. “You never understood. You are my prize.”

Noah’s lips curved and he caught Jared’s wrist again, kissing his palm. “And you’re mine.”

“Good. I’m glad our exchange rate holds up in modern currency, because otherwise you’d bankrupt my heart.” Leaning closer, Jared pressed a kiss to Noah’s forehead, then his nose, and lower to his mouth. Lightly, without intent to arouse. “Now let me get the root beer before I get other ideas and forget why you’re lying here.”

Chuckling, Noan nodded and sank back into the pillows. “I would be very grateful for that. You not forgetting. And the root beer.”

“I’ll be right back.” Jared stepped into the loft, closing the bedroom door softly. 

The living room was empty, the strains of the movie soundtrack coming from the media room telling him Lawson had wisely started without him. He crossed to the kitchen, flicking on the light and smelling the popcorn’s buttery warmth.

A knock at the door sounded, followed by another, softer, then faster, like someone was playing a very off beat drum solo, with absolutely no rhythm.

Striding quickly to the door, Jared opened it.

Right outside the loft, Quint was crouched down in front of Pike, shaking his finger at him like he’d just caught him with his hand in the cookie jar, Seth on his other side. There was something between exasperation and laughter in Quint’s tone. “You’re not going to start things off well by being obnoxious. Let’s try calm. Polite.”

“More dick pics sounds like a lot more fun.” Pike grinned at Jared. “It was the perfect peace offering. Now everyone can chill and hang out together. I learned that in sub negotiations—a module I just made up.”

“Come in, please.” Jared stepped back, opening the door to allow his guests in, all the hours studying etiquette books as a teen coming in handy.

When you don’t know how to respond, good manners will always see you through...

Rhodey had teased him mercilessly, good naturedly, for checking out every book he could find on correct diction and which fork to eat with, but those little things were what he reached for and what he could rely on when other things like his sense of up and down seemed lacking. An illusion of good breeding had been all he’d had to rely on. When things had turned ugly, he made them less so.

Much like Jamie tried to tonight, by putting on his boy band facade. 

Cringing inwardly, Jared realized that what Jamie had been doing was only what any of them would have done—which was to make the best of a bad situation in the only way he knew how. Lost, without a Dom to rely on, while Jared took care of Noah—who admittedly often needed looking after in stressful situations—he took care of himself and the others in their home using the tools that had been instilled in him. A fallback that he knew he could rely on when he couldn’t rely on those he looked up to for that guidance.

This world was still so different from the one he’d grown up in for over two decades. Three years wouldn’t have taught him everything he needed to know, or how to handle every situation. Jared, and especially Noah, wasn’t capable of providing that for Jamie. Which, he realized in a flash-bang of understanding, must have been a very disorienting and frightening world in which to live. Especially when adoration and shallow fandom were the only sense of belonging on which he’d ever had to base a sense of self. When others didn’t take care of him, he’d learned to take care of himself, and Danny, as best he could.

And has been judged by you and everyone here for it ever since...

Bizzy nodded at him, gaze wary at first as he stepped inside, taking in the empty loft, then shifting his attention to the media room. “It looks like we’re late. I apologize.”

Shaking his head to dispel thoughts of Jamie, Jared led the way to the kitchen. “Not at all. It snowballed from a few of us to everyone. I was taking care of an injury. Noah. So I missed the opportunity to get to everyone on the list sooner.”

“I’m glad you texted Quint and he answered you.” Pike swiftly sidestepped a swat from Quint and moved to hide behind Seth. “It was from your phone. Totally counts. And you agreed dick pics were the universal language for ‘I come in peace’.”

“Well, though it’s possible to come violently, peaceful is good too.” Jared took a root beer can out of the fridge, then a frosted mug from the freezer. “What can I get you to drink? If you’d like to join everyone, there are enough seats and snacks. I can bring your beverages in as soon as I deliver this to Noah.”

Pike shook his head, taking a deep breath. “Can we do the subly stuff and you do the Domly stuff? Quint can serve the drinks and I’ll…not get in his way.”

Frowning a little, Jared met Quint’s eyes. “You’re my guests.”

Quint brought his hand to the center of his chest. “I’m your sub. And I’d like to request that my Dom carry out my punishment at his earliest convenience, but until then…I hope I can continue to serve you to the best of my abilities.”

Reaching for his boy automatically, Jared pulled him into his embrace, breathing him in. The scent of him—clean, fresh, like line-dried laundry on a sunny day—closed the distance of time and emotional tides, forcing him to close his eyes. “You are part of my heart. I’m so sorry I hurt a part of yours.”

“You…” Quint sucked in a breath, making it clear Jared had touched on the exact reason his boy had struggled so much in class, even though that hadn’t been his intention. “I accept your judgment, sir. I didn’t think you’d…feel like anything that happened was wrong. And I couldn’t blame you, when I set my emotions aside. Both Pike and I broke several rules. You have every right to enforce them.”

Pike looked over from where he’d found something in the fridge to stuff in his mouth. “Yep. I’m a problem. I get it. I’ll try not to be. The cane is worse than the ruler.”

Chuckling grimly, Jared stepped back to take Quint’s shoulders. “I also have a responsibility to see when someone under my care is spiraling and to call a stop before they’re pushed to behave in ways that are extraordinarily out of character. I failed to do so. That is entirely on me, and I am wiping the slate clean.” He gave Quint a serious look. “I think we understand each other now, and we’ll move forward. Not back.”

Quint’s smile held some relief as he glanced toward the fridge, where Pike seemed to be foraging. He spoke softly, likely so his co-sub wouldn’t hear. “I’m more than willing to do that, sir. Part of me…wanted the punishment. But he’d insist on being there and I don’t want… I need…him to not have to harden himself to deal with things like that. But that’s not my decision to make either way.” He looked over his shoulder at Seth. “And I will show my Dom the respect he deserves by letting him make that call.” He looked back at Jared. “I really do want to learn to sink into my submission better. While still…being a caretaker. Neither out-shadowing the other.”

Taking a moment, Jared motioned toward the ice chest someone had placed on the counter. “Help yourself to a beer, or to the liquor in the living room, Bizzy.” When Seth nodded his thanks, Jared returned his attention to Quint, patting the stool at the island counter. “Sit. Help me understand how I can help you in class to be comfortable that Pike’s needs will be met, while allowing you to focus on what you need to learn in that time as well.”

Sitting on the stool, Quint rubbed his hand over his mouth. “I can’t ignore it when he’s struggling. I know I need to trust you to see it, but letting that go will be a challenge. I think…I need to be able to spend part of the class with him. Enough to let go. It can be my…hiding under the desk until I’m ready to come out. Or my security blanket. He’s extremely easy to cuddle with. And…he helps me feel more human. Meeting him when I did, along with Seth…it really was a perfectly timed gift. It showed me I’m still capable of being… I like who I am with him.”

Cupping Quint’s face, Jared brushed a palm over his hair. “I’d like for you to like who you are on your own—not to be alone—but so you can bring him that piece of you I know is locked in here.” He tapped the spot over Quint’s heart. “You have more to give. To him. Yourself. Me and Bizzy. I used to hold it in my palm, and I miss it. I want to see you let down your guard, because it’s still there, hiding behind those walls. I want to be your safe space again.”

“I want that too, sir. So much.” Quint inhaled deep, letting it out slowly. “I would like to find me again as well. I still think he’ll be reluctant to let that little bundle of trouble too far out of reach, but it would be nice to find pleasure in some of the things I used to. To be more than a merc doctor.”

“Then perhaps we can meet in the middle to find him. To find you.” Glancing at Pike, who had gotten whipped cream on his cheek—or maybe cream cheese—Jared huffed, smiling. “I told Reed and Danny they could sit where they chose as long as they obeyed me when I said it was time to sit in their seats. As long as where they sat didn’t interfere with the lesson.” Including Pike in the question, he asked for both his and Quint’s agreement. “Can you let each other complete your own assignments, not distract one another, and be in the same seat? I admit it would be preferable to needing to take Curtis out of class because he is a switch and can’t remain in a submissive headspace while attending to Pike.”

Quint gave him a wide grin and a quick nod. “I can absolutely do that, sir. Thank you.”

“I can—Oh shoot!” Pike yelped as a jug of milk hit the floor and he slipped in the puddle, landing in the center of it. “Yuck. Umm…I can do it too, sir. And in other news, you’re gonna need more milk. Sorry.”

“There is plenty in the galley.” Lifting Pike to his feet, Jared contemplated the mess, then him. “Are you hurt?”

Pike put his hand to his chest. “Only my pride, sir. I’m usually good if I fall on my butt. Seth had Jacks get creative making sure I wouldn’t regret it a thousand times more while I was sporting zebra ass.”

“Alright. That’s good.” Sending Pike toward Quint, Jared straightened, waving vaguely toward the laundry room. “There are dry clothes in the laundry room. Take what you think he’d be comfortable in. Lord knows, Jamie has plenty of clothes to spare.”

Quint looked at the puddle, then at Pike, wrinkling his nose. “Yes, sir. I don’t think I’ll make much headway getting back in your other boy’s good graces if I leave the mess, but…I will follow the orders I’m given and not…try to take over the situation.”

“Good boy.” Kissing Quint on the lips, Jared sent him toward the laundry room with a sharp pat to his ass. To connect them both.

Footprints of milk followed them down the hall, and there was a soft patter as Fresco bounded out from under the island and began licking one up.

A low growl sounded from on top of one of the cabinets, L.D. creeping along the edge and staring down at Fresco like he was a grizzly bear come to maul his no longer existent balls. The growl turned into a low shriek of warning, L.D. hunching, his tail the size of one of Jamie’s special styling brushes.

“Shit.” Bending down, backing away slowly and not taking his eyes from L.D., Jared scooped up the kitten, scrambling backward just as L.D. flew through the air with an ear splitting yowl.

In his palms, Fresco sat and licked his paw, watching L.D. like he didn’t quite understand what he was doing. He stood, stretching and purring, rubbing against Jared’s chest. Then he started chewing on one of Jared’s buttons.

As Jared backed away, L.D. stalked him. The sinuous movements carrying sinister intent. Eyes slit, tail flicking, the damned cat growled and moaned like Curtis the first time Noah had punished him with an overly large butt plug. Back against the bedroom door, Jared timed his entry as L.D. prepared to leap for his face. He yanked open the door, scrambled inside, and slammed it shut.

The cat hit it with a THUD.

“Please tell me Keiran’s not throwing things at you?” Noah laid his book face down beside him, sitting up a bit. “I’ll push through the pain to deal with the boy if he’s pulling something like that in our own home.”

A white paw appeared under the door, L.D. still hissing and growling as Jared backed away, Fresco held protectively in his hands. He turned, holding out the purring ball of fur. “How do you feel about kitten sitting?”

Noah practically melted right in front of his eyes. He held out his hands. “Is that what the fuss is about? Of course I’ll watch him.” He rubbed his nose against the kitten’s. “We’ll keep that big bully away from you, don’t you worry.”

“Sorry about the root beer. How does water sound?” Jared glanced toward the toy closet where the bottled water was kept for midnight thirst and scenes.

“That would be fine, my love. Thank you.” Noah let Fresco walk across his chest, but brought one hand down to cover his crotch. “Just in case.”

The fridge door snicked open, cool air rushing over Jared’s fingers as he plucked out three bottles. He set them on the nightstand within reach, marveling at the gentleness in the man in front of him. A gentleness he’d always known was there, waiting to be tapped. “I should’ve gotten you a kitten the first day we met.”

Looking up at him, Noah smiled softly, but shook his head. “I don’t know if I would have trusted a gesture like that, then. I think…I would have still taken care of it—I don’t want to believe I’d ever have been someone who’d hurt an animal. But I would have been expecting a gift like that to come with…conditions.”

“That makes sense.” Jared reached out, stroking the soft fur under the kitten’s chin to feel the rumble of its purr. “I never gave you anything with the intent of taking it away.”

“I know that now. Back then?” Noah gave him a sheepish grin. “I think you handled me exactly right. You knew what you were dealing with. You built up the trust, the sense of security, and I was able to stop fighting you every step of the way.”

One side of Jared’s lips kicked up. “Except when you dumped the chess board over my head when I won one too many games.”

Snorting, Noah drummed his fingers on the comforter for Fresco to chase. “I was positive you were cheating. And I didn’t like losing. I’m much better at accepting that now.”

“You’re also better at winning at chess.” Jared chuckled, glancing toward the door. “I’ll leave you to your reading. We’ll see if I can get out of here without getting mauled.”

Noah pointed to the dresser. “There’s a spray bottle in my top drawer for emergencies. Take that and watch your toes.”

“What is it that Jamie says..? Oh. That’s right.” Jared dug out the bottle, going to the bathroom to fill it. “F.M.L.”

“Maybe we should have made sure L.D. was raised by ravens.” Noah sounded a little amazed as Fresco pounced on his hand. “He hardly uses his claws at all. He’s such a gentle little thing.”

Crouched down by the door, Jared peered under, squirting under the crack when L.D. hissed and charged. Letting out a long growl that sounded exactly like “Mrowyerfucker,” the cat backed away as Jared kept firing.

“Good luck and Godspeed, my man.” Noah gave him a little salute, his lips twitching with amusement.

“Laugh it up.” Standing, Jared stepped in the puddle of water in his stocking feet. He angled himself sideways, arm with the squirt bottle going out first. 

L.D. licked his chops, tail slashing the floor like Wren’s dust mop in reverse, sending blown coat everywhere. Jared sidled through the door, never lowering his weapon and breathed a sigh of relief as he managed to get the door shut behind him. 

“You owe me, my man.” He called out loud enough for Noah to hear him through the closed door.

Laughter followed him before Noah called back, “I love you!”

The front door opened, Rhodey stepping in, carrying Jamie against his chest. His brow rose as he looked from Jared to L.D. “Do you need me to spank that one too?”

Firing the water bottle twice for good measure, Jared steered clear of the cat, who made a sound like it ate babies for breakfast. “I think it’s possessed.”

“Do I look like a priest?” Rhodey lowered Jamie to his feet, tipping his chin up with a finger. “Do not apologize. Say thank you and enjoy your night. As you, the boy who cried so nicely for me. Understand?”

Face blotchy, no makeup left—whether because he’d cried it off or Rhodey had washed it off his face was unclear—Jamie nodded, looking much more subdued and calm than when he left. Like he’d landed back in his body after a period of psychological dissociation. “Yes, sir. Thank you.”

Jared set the spray bottle on the coffee table, joining Rhodey and Jamie. He nodded his own thanks to Rhodey, not bothering to hide his curiosity at the soft purple pajamas his boy wore, the bottoms too long, their cuffs rolled up, as were the sleeves. Holding out his hand, he took Jamie’s chilled fingers in his own.

“That’s a good kitty.” Rhodey returned Jared’s nod, heading right back out. “That was fun. Let me know if he needs it again. I’m not even joking.”

Eyes wide, lashes still spiked with dampness, Jamie gave Rhodey a small smile, likely not even realizing he’d done so. “Yes, sir. I’d like that. Thank you.”

“Come, let’s join the others.” Holding Jamie’s hand, Jared entered the semi-dark media room, and looked around for a place to sit.

On the floor, sitting cross legged with a huge bowl of popcorn it looked like he’d dumped a few bags of M&Ms into, Pike shoved a handful in his mouth. He was wearing one of the long black nightgowns Noah had gotten Wren, but their boy never wore because he didn’t like the fabric. Beside him, Reed sucked on a lollipop, eating popcorn around it while feeding pieces to Matt on his other side.

In the chairs, Lawson sat next to Curtis, the two sharing their own, smaller bowl of popcorn. Danny was perched on Jacks’ knee, Wren in the back with them, breaking off little pieces of cookies for him, which Danny surprisingly ate.

Taking one of the stadium style seats near Lawson, Jared sat Jamie in his lap. He raised the footrest, tugging the blanket from the back of the chair to wrap around Jamie’s shoulders. Eyes closed Jamie curled into him, breaths even, cheek against Jared’s chest.

“I always miss the beginning of this, and have to leave. I’ve given up on knowing why she’s so frustrated with her parents.” Jared whispered the observation to Lawson.

Lawson’s lips curved as he leaned in close, speaking quietly enough not to disturb those intently watching the movie. “She doesn’t want them forcing her to marry the absolute worst picks for a husband they could possibly find. Or anyone. She wants to marry herself, which is…an interesting choice, but a better one, considering. Also, her parents are very bad at communication.”

  “Ah. That makes sense. I thought they were making her pissy becuase she had red hair. Which is about as deep as Hollywood usually goes in these things.” Impressed, Jared leaned back to watch the movie, kissing the top of Jamie’s head.

Jamie sighed into him, relaxing a little more. “He’s okay, right?”

“Yes, my boy. He’s okay.” Jared watched the girl on the screen shoot at a target with her arrows. “We both have kittens to cuddle.”

Matt looked over his shoulder with a fond smile. “Told you I could get other people calling you ‘kitten’.”

Oblivious to the exchange, completely engrossed in the movie, Pike let out a little cheer. “That’s it, you show ‘em.” He groaned, tossing popcorn at the screen when the redheaded girl got in trouble. “Boo! You suck. She’s gonna go build an army and tear down your stupid dictatorship!”

“Dude, it’s not that kinda movie.” Reed nudged Pike with his elbow. “Watch. What actually happens is even cooler.”

A few rows up, Wren made a thoughtful sound. “Is anyone going to comment on the fact that half of those archers would have lost their noses?”

On Jared’s lap, Jamie mumbled, “I can’t look,” even though he’d seen the movie at least twice that Jared knew of.

“It’s a cartoon, you can’t make it scary, Wren.” Danny spoke around a mouthful of cookie. “There’s no blood.”

Wren chuckled. “Then they’re all zombies.”

“Sir, may I go to bed?” Jamie lifted his head, peekin at Jared with one eye open.

“Wren.” Jared spoke in a clear tone, shaking his head at Jamie. “Behave.”

There was silence, then Wren’s whispered, “I’m sorry, sir.”

Pike stood up, pointing at the screen like he was ringside, encouraging a fighter rather than in a dark theater, watching a cartoon. “Don’t show her any mercy, she’s trying to ruin your life! Would you look at that?”

Just like everything else in The Asylum, nothing about watching the movie was straightforward. Diversions, mayhem in the form of popcorn missiles, and good natured trash talk abounded. Being in the room with the Core, his boys, Jared couldn’t think of a reason why walking a line from point A to point B needed to be a thing. Whatever route they took, as long as they meandered together, it would take them to this place.

Home

Exactly where they all needed to be.

**** 

Check back tomorrow for Part 48!

 

To keep up to date on all the happenings with The Asylum Fight Club, sign up to the newsletter HERE: https://www.subscribepage.com/j4m0q5 

There's also a new twitter account: https://twitter.com/asylumfightclub

And tons of socials where you can find info on the core! Keep an eye out for all the links so you never miss a thing!

Looking for official Asylum Fight Club merchandise? You can find it here: https://www.zazzle.com/store/asylumfightclub/products

As always, comments are welcome and spoilers can be discussed in the spoiler group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/244198880244923 

 

Comments

  1. Jared:Mind kittensitting?
    Noah:Does the sun rise in the morning? Does it snow in winter? Do apples grow on trees? Do birds fly?
    Wren:Penguins don't.
    Noah:
    Noah:
    Jared:
    Noah: (quietly) Yes I'll kittensit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Y’all 🥺 this family learning and loving as they go just melts me 😭

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bad LD! But Jared knows how to handle him.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts