Love & Stitches at The Asylum: Part Fifty

 


Do you have your coffee yet? If not, go grab it, or your favourite drink, and settle in. Lawson's orders! ;)

Don't forget to leave a comment to share your thoughts. If you're feeling up to some more conversation about The Asylum, be sure to join Tibby here today for a chat about all the things! Tibby Armstrong's Seekrit Clubhouse

Happy Reading!

Entering the bar on any night the Club was open had Jared doing a quick scan to assess who was in the bar, behind it, and on the schedule board. Though he always checked the schedule in the morning, things changed and he liked to be prepared in case he needed to react quickly. While there weren’t a large number of patrons, there were enough that trouble could brew if he didn’t shorten Jamie’s leash.

“We’re going to calm down now.” Drawing the lines a little more firmly, Jared put his sadist hat on as he met Lawson’s gaze. “Sorry we’re late. It’s Jamie’s fault. He’s on speech restrictions.”

Clucking his tongue, Lawson stroked the paddle strapped to his belt like it was his favorite new pet. “That’s unfortunate. Once he’s caught up on his tasks in the dance club, I’ll be seeing him in my office for a reminder on why it’s important to be punctual.”

Jamie banged his forehead a few times against the middle of Jared’s back.

Suppressing his smile, Jared slid Jamie to his feet. “That would be good. Remember, he’s on restrictions for all vocalizations, my man.”

“No worries there.” Lawson glanced over at the other end of the bar and sighed, rising from his stool. “Pike, you are supposed to be serving the tables, not sitting at every one of them and sampling what you’re serving.”

Pike looked up from where he seemed to have made himself comfortable on Blain’s lap. “But you said it was rude if I didn’t ask. I asked.”

Chuckling, Blain lifted Pike to his feet. “It’s a pleasure to have your company, my boy, but you’re keeping the other tables waiting. Run along now. If you’re good you can come up on your break and help me put together all the playmats for the littles. You were right about the ones with the trains on them, they’ve been a huge hit.”

Blain’s interaction with Pike brought Jared’s attention back to Jamie. It was nice to see the sub had someone who understood his mode of submission. It briefly had him considering whether Jamie might be a little himself, after the talk about Donna Reed and mothers, but he discarded the thought as soon as he had it. He’d identified and categorized Jamie finally, as someone who enjoyed spanking. Plain, old fashioned, and simple. For play and for punishment in all its flavors. Perhaps enjoyment wasn’t the right word for the disciplinary aspects, but it certainly seemed to be something he understood and sank into as a submissive.

“Go on into the club, little tribble.” Jared patted Jamie’s ass to strengthen their connection with a little moment of contact. “I’ll bring your dinner in with me when I come.” He glanced at Lawson. “Or is it crowded already? If Tay can’t handle the tables and the bar, I’ll go now and eat later.”

Lawson shook his head. “I sent Jacks in there to help out. Shea brought Danny to the security room with him. So far it’s a fairly quiet night, so you can both take some time to eat, so long as Jamie gets the music going.”

“That would be good. We snacked on popcorn again all day today.” As if to verify this bit of information, Jared’s stomach rumbled loudly. “Come back in when you’re finished, Jamie. Just don’t let Tay have the new booth combination. I don’t want to listen to his playlist all night when you’re too worried about offending him again to take it off.”

The edge of Lawson’s lips twitched. “A little too late for that. Jacks gave it to him and last time I checked in, he was playing a Star Wars soundtrack remix. It’s an…interesting choice. That not many seem terribly fond of.

Though he didn’t know Tay well aside from his medical care and blood tests, he generally had a playful side that didn’t tend toward deep trouble that might make him a good fit for Jamie. Making a mental note to observe them both together under supervised circumstances, Jared nodded to himself.

“There’s absolutely nothing wrong with a little John Williams. I approve.” Jared waved Jamie back to him at the bar. “We’ll leave it on a while longer. Perhaps some of the members will get some culture.”

Looking like he did the Hokey Pokey, Jamie stopped his sideways walk toward the gym and shuffled back to Jared. Lifting him into his lap as he sat, Jared looked over the specials menu board next to the galley door. “Ah. Keiran’s on tonight, I see.”

“Yes, he’s showing Drew the ropes. I don’t think Reed wants to give the galley up completely, but having Drew there will give him a bit more freedom. And keep things more organized.” Lawson tapped the bar. “A bourbon for myself and Jared, if you have a moment.”

Glancing away from the television screen, where the previews for a Vegas heavyweight championship fight scheduled for later that night had been playing, Curtis nodded. “Yeah. On it.” He pointed at the screen with his free hand, juggling two expensive Glencairns with the other. “Bet that’s why it’s quiet tonight. We always lose out to the fights when people stay home to watch. We need to expand the bar and put in a wall screen to watch them on. Bet we don’t lose business then.”

“That’s a good idea.” Lawson stood again, reaching out to adjust the tray in Pike’s hands before he could fall face first into it. He glanced down and sighed, taking the tray from Pike and nudging his chin at his untied laces. “Fix those before you end up wearing half of these.” He looked over at Curtis. “We can let Noah shop around for the screens. He’ll enjoy that.”

Pike plunked down on the floor, doing up his laces in a way that made it obvious why Quint usually did it for him. “I only dropped one drink. Maybe two. And it wasn’t on myself. Total accident.”

“Mhm. That’s why both were on the misfit subs?” Lawson brushed his hand over Pike’s hair, bending down a little and lowering his voice. “I heard them teasing Matt about blushing so much. Well done.”

Curtis rounded the bar, glancing at the table where the subs mingled as he crouched by Pike to tie his shoes. He spoke loudly enough for Jared and Lawson to hear, but likely not the subs. “You can’t kick all their asses. One of them doesn’t even have an ass. Let me know which one you need me to drop a plate of hot fries on.”

Snickering, Pike peered up at his cousin. “Yeah, but I can kick his kneecaps. He’s the one wearing the beer you had to replace. He was talking about being in the middle of a gang bang and going into more and more detail when Matt was close. Then they started calling him a tomato.” He narrowed his eyes and spoke a little louder. “I’m not sorry.”

“I’ll have Reed take care of that section when he gets back from delivering the food orders to the dance club.” Lawson’s lips curved slightly. “The first time they make a remark like that in front of him will be the last.”

Making a face, Jared tried to envision anyone wanting the mangy beer-covered creature and shook his head. “Perhaps making an example of one would get the rest in line. In any case… Jamie, get me a cigar and you may speak for as long as it takes you to put our order in.” He pointed toward the galley. “I’ll have the fish and chips.”

Jamie jumped off the stool with a little hop. “Which one are you going to choose, sir?”

“I wasn’t specific enough.” Jared gave his boy a long look. “You may speak to put in the order.”

Making a wide eyed zipping motion with his fingers to his lips, Jamie mimed throwing away the key, then got Jared his cigar before he disappeared into the galley. Where, undoubtedly, he’d spend the next half hour talking Keiran’s ear off.

Gaze following Jamie, Pike cocked his head, then grinned up at Jared. “I don’t ever gotta do speech restrictions, so I can totally ask. Who you gonna—” He scooted over as a few burly Doms practically stepped over him. “Hey! I’m sitting here. Rude, much?”

Curtis started to groan, then broke into a grin. “Aw. They’re alright. That’s those two new fire recruits who’ve been coming here for years. We always called ‘em ‘Hearts’ and ‘Flowers’ because they come every year with a cake and bouquet for each other on their birthdays.” He waved at the Doms. “Nice to see ya. Happy birthday...” Trailing off, he glanced furtively at Lawson, speaking under his breath. “What’s his fucking actual name?”

“Wesley.” Lawson took a sip of his bourbon, shaking his head a little. “And will you two get off the floor, you’re blocking traffic.”

That got him a pout from Pike. “We’re a floor display. And it don’t take ‘em more than two seconds to admire and walk around us.”

“Come on, ceann beag.” Standing, Curtis hefted Pike off the floor and set him on his feet. “You don’t want to know what Lawson does when challenged like that. You might end up crawling to serve drinks all night since you love the floor so much.” He pointed at a table someone had vacated. “Go clear that, then I’ll give you some of Reed’s Nerds.”

Pike wrinkled his nose, taking the tray Lawson handed him back. “Not sure why people can’t clean up after themselves. Messy bastards. I’m telling Quint to suggest it to the board.”

Holding Pike’s gaze as he removed the paddle from his belt—which immediately got Pike back to work—Lawson chuckled, then settled back and turned his focus to Jared. “Some suggestions may be worth considering. Perhaps having Quint filter out the more ridiculous ones will save us the disruptions during meetings.”

“So would your paddle.” Winking, Curtis kissed Lawson’s cheek, then squeezed his shoulder.

Lawson smiled at him and inclined his head. “True, but we’ll let them have this. I’m sure they’ll give me plenty of opportunities to put my paddle to use. All we really have to do is put them all on speech restrictions. And have some fun placing bets on who will break them first.”

Settling back in his own seat, Jared took a few languid puffs of his cigar, trying to remember some of the games he had enjoyed as a younger Dom. A few came to mind but nothing leaped out as particularly engaging, so he tried on one idea hoping it might spark others for Lawson and Curtis. “Hmm... We could have some fun with that. Ever played Gauntlet?”

“No, I don’t believe I have.” Lawson frowned, pushing off his stool and walking across the bar as Reed came in, holding Danny’s hand. “What are you doing down here, my boy? You were to stay with your Dom.”

Reed shook his head. “Rhodey swung by to talk to Shea and told Danny to come get something to eat. I told him I’d keep an eye on him.”

“You will continue doing your job.” Lawson picked Danny up, adjusting his hoodie—which was a thick, fuzzy, light brown fabric and had what looked to be wombat ears at the top of the hood—before returning to the bar. He sat Danny on his stool. “You can stay here while you eat. I don’t want you wandering around.” He glanced at Jared. “My apologies. What is ‘Gauntlet’?”

Momentarily stunned, Jared tore his gaze away from the sight of a sub sitting on Lawson’s stool. Nevermind a Dom. He glanced toward the gym doors. Matt coming in at this moment would be a whole different kind of fireworks.

“It’s...uh...” Jared met Lawson’s gaze, tapping the cigar on the rim of the ashtray Jamie had set out for him. “It’s a game where the master of ceremonies comes up with a complicated task and hands a piece to each of the Doms. The tasks have to be done in the right order, with the subs working together. No verbal directions are given. Hand signals only, and only once at the start.” He glanced at Curtis to see if he followed, and continued at his nod. “Each Dom has a paddle. The only information given after the initial hand signals is a whack to the ass when something is completed incorrectly. I’ve seen it done with mousetrap-like games, actual gauntlets that had to be run like an obstacle course with a Dom at each station, and a few other ways. I preferred the latter, myself.”

Danny squeaked a little as he tried to wiggle out of Lawson’s stool, onto the floor, and Lawson blocked him. “That sounds very dangerous. And this is very dangerous. I know the rules, sir. I learned them the very first day. My cards said I’d be tested today. I won’t fail this one.”

“Must all these tiny subs be so squirmy?” Lawson sighed, finally just letting Danny slip to the floor and scramble into the small space between Jared’s stool and the bar. He returned to his seat. “I think having a theme night with a gauntlet could draw a lot of interest. Those kinds of nights have always done well here, but we usually only stick with costumes and decorations. Different activities would be very good entertainment.”

“I thought, actually, we could use it as a component of Sub 101 with the Core.” Rolling the sweet smoke around his tongue, Jared released it in a slow stream from between his lips. He reached down to stroke Danny’s hair, playing with it between his fingertips in a light, soothing motion. “How to pay attention to directions, focus, and obey. Simple foundational skills.”

Inclining his head, Lawson made a thoughtful sound. “That’s a very good idea. We could always try it with the Core first, and see if it’s something that would work for the whole club. I’d like to come up with a few ways to integrate the newer members and make them feel welcome. Speaking of which, I have a few interviews to do in about ten minutes.” He glanced down at Danny. “I suppose he can stay in the galley with Keiran.”

“No, sir.” Danny pressed the side of his face without the pink, tie-dye eye patch against Jared’s shin. “Rhodey told Shea he wants me to be around the club. Shea wasn’t happy. I promised him I’d be okay, I don’t like them arguing.”

“I’ve got him, Lawson. Not to worry.” Leaning down, Jared tugged Danny’s hoodie up over his hair. “The only one who should be worrying around here is Jamie, who will need to suffer my attentions in addition to yours, my man, if he doesn’t get out here in short order.”

Danny let out a heavy sigh. “I should have texted Jamie his reading. It said something about a rock and a hard place, but I wasn’t sure what that meant. I’m still learning how to interpret the cards. Shea said Jacks shouldn’t have gotten them for me, but they’re very accurate. And Jacks wears his new cloak and makes spooky sounds while I’m doing it. But it’s not scary. He’s too handsome for it to be scary.”

That was quite possibly the most adorable thing Jared had ever heard. “Tarot cards?” Speaking to Danny, Jared turned a bit in his seat, motioning to Blain, attempting to get his attention.

“Yes, sir.” Danny sat up a bit, his hood plunking back. He sounded excited now. “Jacks went to this special store to get them and surprised me with them yesterday. They’re really pretty, with unicorns and dragons and gold detailing. They came with a book that explains how to read everything. Jacks got a lot of other stuff too. These really beautiful stones that he put all around the loft for protection. And some incense. Shea doesn’t like that so much. He said he’s never letting Jacks go shopping alone again, even though he looks sexy with the new tiara he got and nothing else.”

Still waving to Blain, Jared listened to Danny, trying to picture what life must be like in their loft. Besides patchouli scented. Jamie still hadn’t come out with their dinner, or for his shift. “Danny, would you mind getting Jamie before I need to? I guarantee it won’t go well for him when I bend him over a table and beat his ass for disobeying orders.”

“Yes, sir.” Danny scrambled off his lap, gazing up at him. “I’m sure he didn’t mean to. Maybe he’s helping Keiran. He’s very helpful. Keiran always likes getting us to try different things and it would make him sad if Jamie left before he could do that and now that Drew’s there, there’s two people to not make sad. But they’ll understand Jamie needing to make his Dom happy. I’ll help him excuse himself politely.”

“That’s my good boy.” Kissing Danny’s wombat ear, Jared watched him on his way to the galley, making certain no one interfered with him. 

Taking out his phone, he sent another text. 

I am very unimpressed with your ability to follow orders, little tribble.

A second later, a text came back. A picture.

Of L.D.’s tail and Wren trying to read while it waved in his face.

Jared snorted. 

Ah. He forgot his phone?

The next text came quickly.

Yes. I’d be upset if he was going to the Center, but since he’s with you, I’ll let it slide. This time.

Knowing Jamie would see the messages, Jared bit back a grin when he answered.

Slippery slope. I say we find that spatula.

Looking around again, Jared put his phone away. “Blain.” He motioned, calling out this time. “Join me before you leave?”

Blain lifted his head from where he’d been looking at what appeared to be a catalog open on the table, the Dom who made dungeon furniture next to him. He laughed, shaking his head as he stood, ending what looked like a lighthearted debate. There was no little relief in his eyes as he joined Jared at the bar.

“A very skilled craftsman, but a bit too aggressive with his sales tactics. And his contraptions aren’t suited to the littles. Too much dark and edgy and not enough playful and soft.” Blain motioned to Curtis. “Rum and Coke, my man.” He relaxed into his stool, giving Jared a warm smile. “How are you doing? There was quite some excitement the other night. I’m glad it turned out well.” He sighed, shaking his head as he glanced toward Pike. “I shouldn’t have let him leave, but I had too many scenes demanding my attention, along with a sub whose ‘Dom’ ditched him on the spanking bench to go check out the fight. Sometimes the hits just keep coming.”

“Christ.” Relighting his cigar, Jared shook his head. “I hope you told Lawson. The man won’t be a member long. Though we really do need to get more staff up there. Especially since we’re planning to expand.”

Blain’s eyes widened with interest. “That’s very good to hear. I’m happy with how popular this place has gotten, but we can’t sacrifice safety and service.” He let out a soft laugh. “As for the member, I did mention it to Lawson. I’ve never seen him rip up a file so quickly. He asked me for every single detail of what happened that night. And for some suggestions to make things more secure. I have a feeling that’s one of the reasons Dallas is up there tonight. I couldn’t tell him how Danny got in, but he seemed to already know. Pike walked right in, but things were in complete disorder by that point and no one was there to stop him.”

“We should issue electronic wristbands that open the different areas. It’d help with crowd control as well as entry. It can’t be that difficult to set up.” Sitting sideways, Jared adjusted his seat so he faced Blain, one elbow resting along the bar edge. “But I have something else I wanted to talk with you about. Two things, actually. Have you heard about the Sub 101 we’re running for the Core subs?”

Blain inclined his head, looking over at Curtis when he brought his rum and Coke, thanking him before he brought his attention back to Jared. His rich, dark brown skin held a golden undertone with the glow of the bar lights, his thick muscles straining against the white fabric of his T-shirt. “Yes, I’ve heard some whispering between the Core subs about it. I think it’s a wonderful idea.”

“I’m glad you think so.” Setting aside his cigar, trading it for his drink, Jared crossed his ankle over his knee. “What would you say to teaching the pet play and age play modules? I don’t know much about either, and I know you’d engage them with both the psychology and some fun play.”

A warm smile curved Blain’s lips, lighting up his dark brown eyes. “It would be my absolute pleasure. I know Lawson and Curtis have done some very light play with their boys, nothing serious, but it doesn’t have to be. I can imagine the experience being very appealing to all the subs on some level, even if it’s just how to interact with another sub while they’re in that headspace—which is something I’ve noticed Wren enjoys very much with Danny.”

“He does. It’s delightful to watch how much pleasure it gives him.” Jared shared a fond look with Curtis when the man glanced over, clearly having overheard the conversation. “I’d like to sit in on them myself to assist and learn more. Partly because I think we could all stand to understand a bit more about things outside of our sphere, and partly because I think there are some subs around here who might benefit from exploring that sort of play but who are unaware of their own...tendencies, shall we say?”

Blain nodded, taking a long sip of his drink. “Absolutely. I’ve found some subs feel more comfortable exploring the lifestyle in a very basic way before they are ready to approach anything as niche as pet or little play. Others are introduced to one or the other first. However they go about it, however deeply they get involved, it’s always a joy to see them truly find a space to let go and share something deeper with their partner, or partners.”

The galley door opened, Jamie skirting out with a big platter of plated meals with all the fixings. Eyeing the tray, Jared stood, surprised the thing wasn’t literally groaning with the weight. It was clear now what had taken his boy so long. The meal he’d put together—obviously with Keiran’s cooking, but under his own direction to provide all the foods Jared loved most—had been a labor of love.

Standing, Jared grabbed the tray from Jamie. “There we go, little tribble. I’ve got it. Thank you.” He set the tray on the end of the bar, unloading the plates to where they wouldn’t be in the way. “Here you are. You’d best get into the club with this. As much as I appreciate you and Keiran making me a king’s feast, Lawson had best not come back out to find you still here.”

Offering him a small smile, Jamie took his plate and glided off like the dancer he was toward the gym, dodging a few unruly subs who’d decided to play with a basketball outside of Lawson’s door. Not the smartest move, unless they were looking for his brand of attention. It happened from time to time, when one of the younger ones suffered a crush.

“Would you like some? I can’t possibly eat all of this.” Waving at the plates and basket of brown rolls that were still steaming from the oven, Jared invited Blain to his personal banquet.

Blain nodded, chuckling as he helped himself to a roll. “Your little cat seems to be purring for you this evening. It’s nice to see.” His gaze followed Pike, who’d just finished clearing off a table and was using the full tray to herd the subs away from Lawson’s door. “I’m not sure that is the right job for this little bundle of trouble.”

“It’s really not, but there’s no one to work tonight out here with Curtis and Reed. We’ll take him off the floor if no one shows up after seven.” Snapping his fingers, Jared shook his head at Pike and the other boys when they looked around. “Pike, back to work. Boys, get out from in front of Lawson’s door and back into the gym before I have your hands against the bar.”

Holding the tray tilted against his chest so a few bottles tipped over, soaking his bright blue shirt with a cartoon train on the front, Pike jerked his chin at the other subs. “You heard him, you obnoxious cockwaffles. You mess with the Core Doms and you’ll pay, one way or another, I promise you that.”

The urge to facepalm was strong. Somehow, Jared suppressed it. 

Setting down his knife and fork, he stood, crossed to Pike and drew him gently away from a potential black eye. “Come. Sit and eat with me and Blain. You’re relieved of bar duty for the evening.”

Blinking at him, Pike placed his tray on the very edge of the bar, Blain grabbing it the only thing that kept the whole thing from crashing to the floor. “Did I do good or am I in trouble? Lawson said I couldn’t threaten people in the gym to get them to pick up their shi—shirts. He didn’t say anything about the bar.”

“Let’s sit and talk about what you think the answer to the question about Lawson’s orders might be.” Lifting Pike, Jared set him on his left, moving his own bar stool back a little so Blain would be included in the conversation. He placed a buttered roll in Pike’s hand. “Let me know when you’d like something from my plate or these serving dishes. Do not simply take my food.”

Pike cocked his head to one side. “Can I let you know now? You’re big, but you can’t eat all of this. I’ll help.” He grinned at Jared, then took a big bite of the roll, speaking around it. “Lawson don’t want me threatening Doms. I guess that’s—”

“Small bites, my boy.” Blain’s tone was soft, a reminder rather than a rebuke. “And good boys don’t speak with their mouths full. Let’s try that again.” He lifted a hand and drew Curtis’ attention. “If you could bring your cousin some milk, I’d appreciate it, my man.”

“On it.” Watching their interactions carefully, Curtis animated when Blain spoke to him, and Jared noticed for the first time that evening that Curtis dressed on the right. 

“No, you may not simply let me know now that you will take all of my food. I would like you to let me know when you’re finished and would like more.” Knowing he couldn’t interact with Pike—at least yet—as Blain did, Jared attempted to maintain a careful balance while still being himself. “Blain is correct. Answer my questions when you don’t have food in your mouth.”

Wrinkling his nose, Pike finished chewing, then sucked some butter off his fingers, speaking around them instead. “I ain’t allowed—”

“Pike, do you need some corner time or are you going to stop being naughty?” Blain lifted his brow when Pike pouted at him. “You’re not in trouble yet, but you will be if you can’t use the manners I know your Dom and your co-sub have taught you. I won’t bring you up with me to fix the mats if you can’t behave.”

Taking a deep breath, Pike sat up a bit. “I’m sorry, sir. I’ll be good.” He looked at Jared. “Lawson doesn’t want me threatening Doms…I think? It makes them crabby.”

“Threatening any of our members is frowned upon.” Leaning down a little so he was more or less at Pike’s eye level, Jared held his gaze. “They are our guests. Our paying guests who make certain this roof stays over our heads. It is our job to make sure we treat them with respect and gratitude. Provided, of course, they treat our property and other guests with the same, they may be allowed to return. If they do not—” He raised his voice for the benefit of the subs, who’d begun horsing around, shoving each other playfully, still outside of Lawson’s office. “—they will be asked to leave and not return. By a Core Dom.”

Pike glared at the subs. “So even if the members are jerks, we just gotta put up with it? Like always? Because that really sucks. Can I deal with them without threats?” He perked up a bit. “Respectfully step on their feet?”

“Escalating from violent threats to actual violence doesn’t sound like a good move. It sounds like breaking some of the rules about violence outside of the ring.” Taking a bit of steak, Jared nearly moaned at the sublime explosion of sweetly salty beef over his tongue. Chewing, he thought over the rest of his answer, then swallowed. “You don’t need to put up with people being rude to you. However, you don’t threaten with violence and you don’t resort to violence. Either get a Dom to help you or calmly ask them to stop.”

Sighing, Pike slumped in his seat. “I ain’t a rat and I ain’t good at doing nothin’ calmly. I guess I’ll just try to ignore them and let someone else handle them. It’s just messed up that you Doms gotta deal with them being all annoying when you’re working. If they did that to Seth, Quint would know how to handle them so they'd run home crying to their mommies.”

Jared gave Blain a veiled look. Help me out here, my man.

Slipping the glass of milk onto a coaster, Curtis leaned on the bar to whisper something in Pike’s ear. Though he strained to hear, Jared couldn’t make out what the two were plotting. An innocent look on his face, Curtis went back to work. 

Before Blain had a chance to open his mouth, Pike was slipping off his stool. There was a bit of a bounce to him as he latched his hand to his wrist behind his back—for about two seconds before swinging his hands at his sides in the absolute worst version of a submissive stance ever seen under this roof. “I ain’t hungry anymore, sir. If I’m off duty, can I go see what Avery’s up to?”

Jared squinted one eye, opposite brow raised. He gave Pike a long look, not responding with words. And waited for him to squirm. 

Chewing on his bottom lip, Pike rocked on his sneakers, glancing over at Curtis. He stuffed his hands in his pockets, looking down with some surprise, his expression lighting up as he pulled out half a cookie, covered in lint. “Totally forgot I saved some of that. Umm…” He brought the cookie up to his mouth, lifting his gaze. “Avery’s probably busy. I can go help Reed. Don’t wanna annoy you or anything, sirs.”

Plucking the cookie out of Pike’s hand, Jared made a face. “We do not eat food covered in germs. Go to the galley and get a fresh one from Keiran. Then, you may go to the clinic and ask Quint if you can help him restock. If he’s busy, then I want you to play with some of the other subs who Blain says might have interests similar to yours.”

“Like make new friends? Ew.” Pike flashed him a disarming smile as he turned, heading for the galley. “I’m good with the first parts, sir. Thanks!”

Blain snorted, shaking his head, watching Pike round the bar and duck into the galley. “Definitely a handful. Not the type for all Doms, but Seth seems to enjoy it and Quint takes a great amount of pleasure caring for him. It’s a dynamic I enjoy observing.”

“Do you? Because I get a big, fat headache.” Smiling over the lip of his whiskey glass, Jared tore his gaze away from the galley door. “Keiran is cursing me about now.” His smile broadened. “Does him good to stay on his toes.”

That earned him another laugh from Blain as the man sat forward and gestured to Curtis for a refill. “Between here and my shop I see so many different types, I’m used to it. It makes me better at my job to be able to see what works and what doesn’t for the Doms and subs who come to me, either for teaching or toys. There’s something satisfying about the moment when it clicks and a relationship can grow around something that brings all involved pleasure and their own kind of balance, even if it doesn’t seem ideal from the outside, looking in.”

Behind the bar, Curtis juggled several bottles, doing a complicated series of pours for what looked like a Long Island iced tea. He whistled Accentuate the Positive. One of Jamie’s favorite songs of all time. Jared couldn’t forget the lyrics if he’d tried, given how many times a day he heard them sung in the loft and club.

“I’m headed to the dance club for my shift. And to see what my little tribble has put on for a show.” Jared clapped Blain on the shoulder. “Left alone long enough, he’ll have the entire place rehearsing and performing Cabaret with Danny in the lead.”

Blain chuckled, nudging his chin toward the galley. “He might be missing his dancing partner, then. Keiran has quite a bit of company tonight.”

As though his name being mentioned had summoned him, Keiran came out of the galley, a shirtless Pike over his shoulder and pink icing on his cheek. “Drew, keep an eye on the gravy for me.” He gave Pike a playful swat on the ass with a spatula. “Nope, I don’t care how much you pout at me. You’re going to explain to Quint why you smell like beer and are covered in half the icing I was planning to use for cupcakes for the whole Core. You’re lucky you’re cute.”

“Shouldn’t he wash and brush his teeth first?” Danny trailed after Keiran, giving Pike a worried look. “Is teeth instantly rotting a thing? It might be happening as we speak. That was a lot of icing.”

Holding out his arms to Danny, Jared threw Keiran an apologetic look. “He was supposed to come in for a cookie. I apologize, my boy.”

Keiran shook his head, his cheeks flushed, like he’d been laughing despite some clear exasperation. “It’s all right, sir. Since it’s not a busy night, I didn’t mind him coming in and being silly. But I know Quint’ll be upset if he makes himself sick doing it, so I’ll let this one’s co-sub be the mean one. His attempts to ‘sneak’ huge spoonfuls of icing had me and Drew cracking up. And Drew’s wearing almost as much of it as he was. I'm going to have to clean him up before sending him down to Stephan or I’ll be dealing with a very unhappy Dom on his first night.”

“He seems to be working out otherwise?” Jared lifted Danny into his arms, enjoying his warmth. The scent of the sweet icing clung to him, his skin dotted with moisture from the good things simmering in the galley. 

Nodding, Keiran barred his arm across the back of Pike’s thighs, swaying a little when Pike stopped squirming. “Yes, sir. He’s a pleasure to have around and I think he’ll be great working with Reed if he still wants to do the job now and then. Between them, they can keep it from getting overwhelming. Drew enjoys cuddling and Reed’s pretty good at it, when he stays still for more than five seconds. And in return, he can make sure Reed stays more organized. A win-win.”

“Good. That’s very good.” Moving toward the gym door, Jared glanced over as Lawson’s door opened and their newest member came out with a huge grin on his face.

“Thank you, sir. I’m so excited to be here. I can’t tell you how much this means to me. Is it okay if I finish my limits list at the bar? Or do I need to take it home?” The sub bobbed his head as he spoke, pink shag hair swaying with the motion. His contract copy and the manilla folder that contained his limits list form and rules of the club, along with a coupon for a free dinner and three free drinks, was clutched to his chest.

Lawson’s lips curved into a warm smile. “You may finish your list at the bar if you’re comfortable doing so.” He put his hand on the sub’s shoulder and pointed out Curtis. “That’s my man, Curtis. If you ask politely, he’ll answer any other questions you might have. Tell him I sent you. And be patient if he’s busy with other customers. Take the time to observe those around you.”

“Yes, sir.” More head bobbing followed. “I’ll take lots of notes.” He held up a pink glitter notebook that Jared had oddly missed on first glance, and did a little excited victory dance, complete with a squeal. “Sorry.” He laughed. “I’m just so happy!”

Slipping up to the sub’s side, Reed zeroed in on the notebook. “Sparkly. Very good taste, I like you already.” He put his arm around the sub’s shoulders. “I’ve got like five seconds before I gotta clean up after some clumsy fool. Give me all your deets and I’ll give you some insider info that’ll put you ahead of the game.”

“Hi! My name is Zandi. That’s Sandi with a Z and an i at the end. I’m an Aquarius with an Aries moon sign, but don’t let that put you off...” The sub’s chatter trailed off as he and Reed wended their way toward the tables.

“Horrorscopes.” Jared muttered the word to Danny, then met Lawson’s eyes making a whew, live one expression. “Do you have a minute?”

Glancing at his watch, Lawson nodded. “My next interview called to let me know they were stuck in traffic. They shouldn’t be too long, but I have some time.” He looked over at Keiran and spat out a laugh. “I think your cargo is sleeping. Here, give him to me.” He eased Pike off Keiran’s shoulder, righting him gently against his chest. “Shall we walk to the clinic while we talk?”

“That would be a good use of time.” Jared pressed open the door, glancing back to find Reed, Zandi, and Curtis with their heads together, a very pink drink clutched in Zandi’s fingers. “I wanted to ask you if there’s time tomorrow for the subs to have another session. I’d rather not leave things off for too long, the way they ended.”

Lawson inclined his head, following him through the gym doors. “That’s a very good idea. And I’ll make it happen. The schedule is pretty light tomorrow, so I can shift around a few things to give you a couple of hours with all of them.” He shook his head a little as he used his chin to nudge some of the hair sticking to Pike’s forehead away from the glob of drying icing. “Sometimes, I definitely see it. Other times… Curtis was never like this at his age. Well, except for the appetite. That they share. Except Curtis turned it all into muscle and this one…burns it up getting into mischief, I suppose.”

“He grazes. There’s not as much going in there as you think.” Jared nudged his chin at Danny. “You, on the other hand, need to take a lesson or two from Pike. Enjoy a cupcake.”

Tucking his face against the side of Jared’s neck, Danny groaned. “But it’s not a cheat day. And I had salad. With dressing on the side. I ate, sir, I promise.”

“I’m sure your Doms are paying close attention.” He kissed Danny’s cheek, marveling at its softness. “You have absolutely no beard. Did you just shave? Jamie keeps moaning that he needs electrolysis.”

Danny shook his head, peering up at him. “I only have to shave every few days, sir. Shea says I shouldn’t bother at all because it’s just ‘peach fuzz’ but it looks weird on me. I don’t like it. Jacks offered to wax it.” He shuddered. “I’d rather eat cupcakes.”

As they stepped into the clinic, past a meager smattering of members who had attended only to watch the few fights that were on the books for that night, Jared glanced over at Lawson. “Looking forward to poker night?”

“Yes, actually. It’s been too long since we used this place for anything for ourselves.” Lawson’s lips slanted. “It will be interesting to see everyone getting competitive and our boys both nervous and excited. I haven’t decided if Matt and I will play yet, I need to discuss it with him. But we’ll be there.”

Inside the clinic, humming an old army song that he used to get some of his patients to sing with him before resetting bones or other more painful procedures, Quint unpacked some supplies, lining them up neatly on the shelves.

He looked over with a big smile, his expression shifting to concern when he spotted Pike in Lawson’s arms. “He didn’t fall and hit his head, did he? Damn it, I know he wants to help around here, but clearing tables might as well be working with heavy machinery.”

“He’s sleeping off a sugar bender.” Jared perched on the rolling stool with Danny on his knee. “If it goes well, we should make the poker night a regular thing.” Continuing the conversation with Lawson as the man handed off Pike in a way that appeared as tender as it did...sticky...Jared leaned back against the wall. “If Matt could try it, I think it might help him to build some relationships with the other Doms. Build his confidence around here. I’d promise not to try to win him, since I know it would make him uncomfortable, but if we could build stronger bonds among us, playing and having some old fashioned kinky fun, we might all learn a thing or two about both Dominance and submission.”

Nodding slowly, Lawson went to the sink, turning on the faucet and grabbing a few paper towels, dampening them and wiping some icing off his dark gray suit jacket. “That’s a good point. I would like to see him interact more comfortably with everyone in the Core. The connection he has with Jamie now is helping a lot, he’s not quite so tense when he’s with the other subs and it’s damn nice to have them being playful, rather than snarling at each other.”

“Matt is personable, intelligent, and kind. I’m unsure why he’s isolated himself. He, Jamie, and Wren had a rough time of it for a while. It seemed to be when he withdrew. I think that was my and Noah’s fault. ” Jared sighed, cradling Danny’s head against his chest to play with his hair in light strokes. “Every time I see that scar on his face I cringe... I should apologize.”

Lawson tossed the paper towels in the trash, then washed his hands. He gave Jared a small smile of understanding. “Those were very different times, my man. We all made some mistakes based on what we thought we knew. But I think he’d appreciate hearing that you regret what happened—you scared him a bit in the beginning, before he was accustomed to this lifestyle. And it will definitely make classes more enjoyable for him if there’s no hard feelings.”

Leaning back a little so he could meet Danny’s gaze, Jared adjusted his pink eyepatch a little so it sat more comfortably over his eye. “What do you think, my little Despereaux? Am I frightening?”

Danny’s uncovered eye widened. “No, sir. You were one of the first Doms besides Jacks and Shea who was nice to me. And you saved me from my contacts. Lawson’s a lot scarier than you are.” He ducked his head practically under Jared’s arm, speaking against his chest. “Sorry, sir.”

Humor lightened Lawson’s expression. “No need to apologize, my boy. I’m not sure when I became so intimidating, but if it keeps all of you in line, I’ll take it.”

“Next to Noah, you used to be seen as the scariest Dom in this place.” Jared didn’t flatter himself that he’d even been more than an oddity in the shadows until Wren had drawn him out into the open. “Now, we’re all a bit buttoned up and proper. No more hell raising and posturing. Which is good, but also a little...dull. I miss the days of watching those subs try to land one of you, or one of the members getting you interested in showing your stuff in the ring. It’s become all work. This will be good.”

Lifting his head again, Danny tugged his bottom lip between his teeth. “Do you…think the Core subs have made all the Doms too tame, sir? I don’t think Shea’s tame at all, he still fights and everything. And Jacks owns any room he walks into. You both still make the subs who don’t know you pee a little bit when you get that look. I’ve heard like a dozen of them say so.”

“Yes, well, that happens when puppies get excited.” Jared teased Danny, tugging on one of his wombat ears. “It’s good to know I don’t do that to you. It wouldn’t be nearly as nice having you on my lap.”

Danny let out a happy sigh. “That would be terrible, sir. Being scared of you? Who would answer all my questions about what’s really dangerous? Or let me know my Doms aren’t going to lose limbs doing random chores around the house? And I love cuddling with you and how safe it feels. And…so many other things. You’re one of my favorite people.”

Tightening his arms, Jared closed his eyes and breathed Danny in. Hugging him was like having a bit of happiness you could touch. Everything in him relaxed in a way it rarely did, and he knew that if Rhodey hadn’t claimed the boy first, there was a very real possibility he would’ve done so himself. If only because it felt so right every time he was in his arms. “You’re one of mine, too, sweetheart.”

Over by the closest bed, where he’d laid Pike and covered him in a blanket, Quint looked up, a soft smile on his lips, a bit of surprise in his eyes. He didn’t say a word, but something in the way he was watching Jared with Danny said he enjoyed seeing his Dom have this kind of peace and comfort. A kind neither of them had much hope for once.

Drying off his hands, Lawson spoke quietly as his phone buzzed. “That’s likely my next interview. Enjoy the rest of your night, my man. I’ll text you the available hours for the class tomorrow. I’m looking forward to seeing what all we have planned will do for us and our boys.”

Jared’s smile widened, his hand absently patting Danny’s ass in reassurance. “Enjoy your interview. I’ll see what else I can come up with to keep us all ‘happy’.”

Lips curving, Lawson gave him a knowing look. “You’ve been speaking to Blain. I’m going to start sending some of the more difficult members to him. He always does manage to send people away with a new set of priorities, and a new outlook on…pretty much everything.”

Jared snapped his fingers, turning back as he recalled an earlier conversation. “That’s right. Blain would take some of that work off you. As the club expands, we’ll need to have more of those things taken off your shoulders. We should’ve done it long ago. What if he and I were...headmasters, for lack of a better word. And you and Dallas focused on the business? You’d still do the interviews, for the most part, but you and he could share some of the paperwork aspects? Think about it.”

“I will. The man has quite a full schedule himself with his shop, but I’m sure he’ll help you with the classes if you need it. He could also do some of the interviews with those in the more niche lifestyles that I’m not as familiar with—so long as time allows. I don’t mind handling that myself and Dallas has enough on his plate with security…” Lawson rubbed his jaw. “But Dallas knows my systems, so I wouldn’t have to worry about training someone new if he wanted to take on some paperwork. Thank you for the suggestions, my man.”

“Anytime. It’s always easy to give advice. It’s free, and everyone has an opinion.” Letting Lawson go with a wave, Jared crossed the now-empty gym. “What do you think, little Despereaux? Would you like to be a service sub? We need a few more.”

Danny’s head shot up. “No please thank you, sir. I would spill all the tea and burn some big Dom and he’d stomp on me. My bones would shatter and then I wouldn’t be able to iron all the things…which would be the only good thing. Irons are terrible. Shea burnt himself twice on ours this week. And he thought it was funny. It was not at all funny. He wouldn’t let me call you. Jacks put some cream on the burns and so far he seems to be healing well, but I’ll keep you updated.”

“You will always call me when someone here gets injured.” Jared stopped dead in his tracks outside the club, the bass beat of the music vibrating through the door and up into the soles of his shoes. “Those are the rules here, and anyone who disobeys them is disobeying me. Which isn’t allowed where health matters are concerned.”

Lips parted, Danny made a distressed sound. “Don’t kick Shea out of the club, sir. He’s just being ‘macho’. Jacks says so all the time. And I guess maybe it wasn’t a bad burn, but it still made me nervous. I like talking to you so I know it’s nothing to worry about, but Shea said you’re a very busy man and if I bug you too much you might not want to answer all my questions anymore.”

Turning Danny so the sub’s legs wrapped around his waist, Jared gave him a level look. “I will always answer your texts. If I don’t, it’s either because my phone battery is drained, I’m with a patient, or something bad happened to me. You are only allowed to think it’s the last one when I’m outside of Anniston Falls. I will always answer as soon as I see your text. Understood? I’m going to have a talk with your Doms.”

“Yes, sir.” Danny wrapped his arms around Jared, giving him a little hug. “We might have to discuss you ever leaving Anniston Falls. Respectfully, you could probably do everything here. It’s a very nice little city.”

“I think you’re absolutely correct, which is why I mentioned it.” Gaze lowered to Danny’s lips, Jared wiped a bit of pink icing off from the little dip below his lower one with the pad of his thumb. “Would you like me to teach you how to be a service sub for your Doms as a surprise?”

Danny bit his bottom lip again, almost catching Jared’s thumb. “Do you think that would make them happier, sir? I don’t think I’d be very good at it, but…I guess I could try. I like…just playing with them, though. Is standing very still while Jacks pins fabric around me a service? I’m good at that.”

“It is, but I was more thinking of what would give you pleasure to learn about and to do. Experiments in submission to help make you happy.” He swayed side to side a little, then began to waltz Danny around the gym to the three-quarter time of the song Jamie played in the club. “Service means different things to different people. I enjoy it when Wren hands me my cigar, neatly trimmed, and Bizzy enjoys it when his boy drops gracefully to his knees and opens his mouth to receive his dick without being told. He was always a kinky bastard.”

The blush was back, Danny chewing at his lip in a way that would have Noah snapping at him. “Shea likes it when I bring him my ball without running away with it again. And Jacks likes when I bring him his shoes without too many teeth marks. Oh! And when I don’t tip over my water dish. I’m getting better at that.”

Chuckling, Jared nodded, increasing the speed of his steps as the tempo turned a bit wild. “All right. I understand. Service puppy. We can work with that.”

“Thank you, sir.” Danny grinned, lacing his fingers behind Jared’s neck. “I wouldn’t mind learning more of the hand commands some of the subs do. For when I’m not in pup space and Jacks and Shea want to show all the more experienced Doms I’m well behaved. I am, but I’m not always sure what they want me to do. And sometimes they do different ones at the same time. That’s tricky. Bouncing in place is not proper sub behavior.”

“Hmm... That would be tricky. I suggest you figure out which one of them has a more commanding presence and obey the other one.” He winked. “I am joking. That’s a path to a smacked ass. Why don’t you ask them what you should do in those instances? I can teach you all of the hand commands in class when we go over them, and would be happy to help you practice.”

Danny let out a relieved sigh. “That would be great, sir. Can I tell them asking was part of my homework? I don’t want them thinking I’m criticizing their Domliness. They really are awesome Doms. They’re just…different.”

“They’re wonderful Doms, and just right for you. And of course you may.” Slowing by the dance club door, Jared gave Danny a breathless grin. “Well, that was a workout. It’s a good thing I’m getting together with Rhodey for training tomorrow morning. Shall we go in to see if Jamie is dancing with himself?”

Nodding quickly, Danny searched his eyes. “I’m not too heavy, am I, sir? I love you carrying me, but I don’t want your arms getting sore.”

Laughing at Danny’s question would be rude, so Jared didn’t. “No, little Despereaux. You’re light as a feather. Thank you for being so considerate.” He shouldered into the club, the music hitting him like a solid wall. Up way too high, the bass would be heard all the way to the apartments. And definitely in the lofts. “Let’s get that turned down to a human decibel!” 

Jared set Danny on his feet, noting the lack of dancers other than Jamie and Tay, who performed some complicated acrobatics on the floor that made them look like undulating snakes.

“I’ll get it, sir!” Danny dashed off, rubbing his throat, still speaking loud enough for Jared to hear him. “That can’t be good for my vocal chords. Now I’ll definitely need some tea!”

A shadow above in the strobes catching his eye, Jared tipped his head back to see Avery in a silk hammock, swaying in the rafters as he scrolled through something on his phone. Seeing Jared, he grinned, lifting his hand in a cutesy finger-wave.

In the sound booth, Danny adjusted the base, switching to another playlist, this one a dance mix of a recent Broadway musical.

Tay glanced over, grinning even as a few of the members groaned. “That’s a good one! I could probably do a decent pole number to it…” He looked back at Jamie. “But Keiran? Holy Shh… Yeah. We gotta get him to show us some moves with Avery. I’d take a few extra shifts for that.”

“Hell, yeah!” Back to Jared, Jamie still hadn’t noticed him. “I’ve wanted to see them fuck for like forever.”

Slapping his hand over Jamie’s mouth, Tay leaned in, whispering something in his ear. Then he spoke up. “I’ve wanted to see those at the zoo, too. But you’re pronouncing it wrong. Like how it’s ‘Leviasah, not Leviyasa’.”

Shoulders up around his ears, Jamie didn’t turn, but every fiber of his being seemed to be tuned in Jared’s direction. “Oh! You mean it’s fook-ya! Not...what I said.”

Jared leaned against a steel girder that formed one of the defining pillars at the edge of the dance floor. “Let’s play a game. Soap or spank.”

Whirling, Jamie widened his eyes. “Oh. I didn’t see you there, sir!”

“Clearly.” Lips curved, Jared shook his head. “If you collected all the pennies you had under that nose, you’d be able to make up the GDP of a third-world country.”

Tay gave Jared a curious look, then patted Jamie on the shoulder. “I’m gonna go get on top of those drinks. Nod and smile. Sin’s always saying that’s the best bet if I’m stuck. You know, like Lucy does when she doesn’t know what people are talking about?”

Giving Tay an ‘I’m in for it now’ look with his thumbs up, Jamie shuffled over to Jared and tipped his head back. “Hello, sir.”

Hands on his knees, Jared bent down to Jamie’s eye level—which wasn’t so far as usual since he stood on the dance floor’s low platform. “Hello, little tribble. Did you have a good evening so far?”

Jamie played with his tongue ring, nodding. “Yes, sir. It was good...so far.” He wrinkled his nose. “Is it about to get less good?”

“We’ll address that later. Let’s get you back where you belong, with Danny in the booth.” Taking Jamie’s hand, he brought him to the booth. Eyes on Danny, who wore the mixing headphones, or whatever they were called, Jared handed Jamie into the booth. “I’ll come get you when our shift is over. Let me know if you need water.” He lowered his gaze to Jamie’s SILENCE tag. “I need to get a gag. I’ll be right back.”

Taking off the headphones a bit awkwardly as one side caught the elastic on his eye patch, Danny grinned at Jamie, his eye going wide when he caught the last part of Jared’s statement. “Oh no, what happened? You have to be careful, if you chip your teeth you’ll have to see a dentist. They’re all worse than sadists. Did Jacks ever tell you about the time he chipped a tooth on the catwalk?”

Seeing the subs together, Jared found himself behaving with uncharacteristic inconsistency as he leaned into the booth and snapped the SILENCE tag from Jamie’s collar. Just to keep his ‘cred’ as Reed would call it, he growled, “Definitely a spanking,” then palmed the tag and left the booth.

When he glanced back, Jamie grinned back at him. No fear. No sadness. Just a glimmer of fun in his bright green eyes. A connection.

Jared nodded once.

They had an understanding.

 

Check back next week for Part 51!

 

To keep up to date on all the happenings with The Asylum Fight Club, sign up to the newsletter HERE: https://www.subscribepage.com/j4m0q5 

There's also a new twitter account: https://twitter.com/asylumfightclub

And tons of socials where you can find info on the core! Keep an eye out for all the links so you never miss a thing!

Looking for official Asylum Fight Club merchandise? You can find it here: https://www.zazzle.com/store/asylumfightclub/products

As always, comments are welcome and spoilers can be discussed in the spoiler group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/244198880244923 

 

Comments

  1. Gasp! Lawson let someone sit on his stool! Insisted even! I think Danny's adorable, it's nice that all the Doms seem to think so too. Except maybe Noah but that's understandable. And Pike...such a close second. Love everytime either of them show up. Also Wren and Avery, if in a totally different way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing all these sweet moments in between the storms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Jared and Jamie together

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Jared and Jamie getting closer and sweet Danny. Blain is great would love to read his story sometime

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts