Love & Stitches at The Asylum: Part Fifty-One

 


The games have begun! How do you feel about poker night at The Asylum?

Don't forget to comment with your thoughts and check out the links below for all the ways to connect with other fans of the Core and all their antics.

Happy Reading!

It had been a nice, quiet day for once. Though it could be dangerous to make that observation, Jared admitted it to himself, at least. Curtis must have been rubbing off on him, because he half expected the walls to immediately come crashing down. Fortunately, they remained standing, just as they had during that morning’s class when he and the subs discussed what would be expected of them during this evening’s poker game.

As the afternoon turned toward evening, the thrum of excitement built. The energetic slamming of doors and running down halls that often accompanied Reed, Pike, or Matt, as they exchanged items of clothing or asked for advice on what to wear became more frequent. With Jacks supplying costumes for the subs, there wouldn’t be much left to choice, so the conversations centered around the fit and styling.

“It’s been so long since I’ve worn my leathers...” Inspecting his own choice of evening wear, Jared frowned in the full length mirror in his dressing closet, turning this way and that to see his profile. He felt more than a little like Jamie as his boy checked out the new look he’d been working on with Jacks that afternoon, with he and the Dom sorting through his piles of clothes and deciding what to keep and donate, or give to the other subs while his hair color set.

Looking at him now, Jared half wondered if Noah would recognize him. Hair dyed black with white tips, he had an edgier look that was offset by black painted fingernails.

Turning left to right, Jared used the three-way mirror he’d had installed as soon as they’d moved into the new loft to give his own ass a critical once-over. “Did I gain weight?”

Wren sat on the edge of the bed, studying him, then reaching over to the end table, pulling out one of the large ledgers he’d claimed for his new project. He flipped open to one of the middle pages. “Five pounds of muscle mass. You had gained almost fifteen before, but I believe a lot of it was water weight.” His brow furrowed. “Keiran told me that means a lot of salty foods. I’m not sure I fully grasp the science behind it yet.”

“You will, love.” Unsure whether the tight fit could be quite this tight from five pounds of muscle, Jared muttered under his breath. “No more cupcakes.”

From the next dressing closet over, Jamie made a distressed sound. “Cupcakes are life. What is even life without cupcakes?”

“You can both still have cupcakes.” Noah strode into the room, putting one of his boots up on the edge of the bed and leaning down to inspect it, hushing Wren when he fussed. “You cleaned them, my little bird, it’s fine. But as nicely polished as they are, I think I scratched them on that damn roof.” He tapped one side of his boot and sighed. “I need to work out my schedule better. These boots aren’t meant for ‘roughing it’ but I won’t walk around the club in work boots.”

Adjusting the sleeves of a black T he’d found at the back of his clothes bar, Jared returned from  his dressing closet into the bedroom. “I’d forgotten I had a silk T. It’s nice and cooling.” Glancing at Noah, he gave the boots a cursory once over. “Why not have one of the boot boys take care of them for you downstairs and bring them to you at the start of your shifts? They’d enjoy that privilege.”

Noah’s eyes widened slightly and he shook his head as Wren hunched over his book, taking a few more notes. “They would, but they haven’t earned it. Our boys take perfectly good care of my things, I’m just rough on them. The damage is straight through the leather. I’ll need to send them in to get fixed.”

Jared French-tucked his shirt, smoothing it down with his palm. The butterflies were one part excitement and one part stagefright. This was what came of too much work and not enough play. What should have come naturally to him—and very much had before today—had been eroded by too many nights sewing the wrong kinds of stitches in the wrong kinds of body parts.

And if I’m honest, I’m worried about making Pike happy.

Turning away from the mirror, he examined the mark on Noah’s boot more closely. It looked suspiciously like a cat’s claw mark. “L.D.”

Wren lifted his head. “He didn’t pee in them. He did that once in Jamie’s shoes and I spoke to the vet who comes here and put mint on everything. It works, he won’t go near it. I put a lot on the bed so he doesn’t attack us in our sleep. And the smell… He is a part of our household and I accept him, but there are days I wonder if buying a stuffed cat wouldn’t have been a better investment. The Dom who does it for a living is very good and sometimes people can’t afford the final product so it would be…a charity?”

Jamie popped out of his dressing room, hands on his hips. “You’re not taxing the cat.” 

“Not while he’s alive, no.” Wren eyed L.D like he was his one true nemesis as the cat sauntered into the room. “We should get some of those flowers from Todd. The Christmas ones? L.D. really must stay away from them, but Murphy’s Law exists for a reason.”

“Wren.” Jared snapped his fingers, trying not to laugh. “Stop planning L.D.’s demise where Jamie can hear you.”

Wren inclined his head and met Jamie’s eyes. “That new perfume you ordered came in. Reed brought it up. I stopped him from opening it, he thought it was candy and ‘wanted a peek’. I’m surprised he didn’t sneak one anyway, he is not very good at resisting temptation. I left it in the living room for you.”

Still at the bed inspecting his boots, Noah glanced over at their boys, then away, then back, blinking a few times as though adjusting to the sight of Jamie’s drastic change in hairstyle. Saying he’d welcome the change was a very different matter from knowing how to react once presented with it. 

Surprise shifted and the expression Noah often wore while he was looking at something he planned to paint came over his face. He nodded slowly, moving in a slow prowl around his little cat. Leaning in, he whispered in Jamie’s ear. “Very nice. I like the way this hair color brings out your eyes—interesting choice there as well. How do you feel about it?”

Jamie’s sinuous sideways movement had his cheek rubbing up against Noah’s, like he’d been practicing the move with L.D. He reached up to run light fingertips over the quill-like spikes of his hair. “I like it, I think? I still don’t feel like me when I look in the mirror, but...” Pulling his lower lip between his teeth he turned a little to look up at Noah from under his lashes. “I care more what you think. Curtis joked you were going to change my nickname to little porcupine.”

Rolling his eyes, Noah tapped Jamie’s lip for him to release it, then eased back to hold Jamie’s gaze. His tone was firm. “The priority needs to be how comfortable you are in your own skin, little cat. It’s a change, and a good one, but you can keep experimenting until you find what suits you best. Or just because you enjoy trying different things. If you ever try something that is…too extreme, it might be an issue, but I don’t see you getting tattoos on your face or putting stretchers in your cheeks.” He booped Jamie’s nose. “I wouldn’t be pleased with that. And I might have to make whoever did it to you disappear.”

“There goes my plan for the next class.” Jared winked at Wren, as Jamie giggled at the attention. “Body modification is fun.”

Wren eyed Jamie, likely trying to picture seeing his jaw through the side of his face. “I enjoy watching the technique and the methods doctors use to correct it, but I would like to respectfully request Jamie not be allowed to remove pieces of himself. Except for his hair, I suppose. I am in no position to comment on that.” He moved in closer, lifting his hand to Jamie’s head and carefully touching the spikes. “I wonder if this would pierce skin. Do you want to try it?”

“Maybe not right after Noah just got done forbidding bod mods.” The humor hadn’t left Jamie’s gaze, but the way the light hit his eyes did draw Jared’s attention to one other change.

“You’re wearing silver contacts.” Involuntarily taking a step back, he vetoed the change with his feet. 

That got him a sideways look from Noah. “No need to worry, my man. I’ll make sure he doesn’t sleep with them in. And that they’re properly cleaned when he chooses to wear them.” He held Jared’s gaze a little longer, telling him he hadn’t missed why Jared had that reaction, but asking him without words to support Jamie experimenting with his looks. His focus shifted back to Jamie. “I trust you made sure they’re from a reputable company?”

“Yes, sir.” Jamie nodded quickly, glancing between Noah and Jared. “They don’t really fit with my outfit tonight, so I need to change them. Wait ‘til you get a load of the costume Jacks brought for me.” Silver eyes widening, Jamie mimed his head exploding. “Mind bleep of epic proportions.”

Wandering over to the other side of the room, Wren looked out the window, sighing before he came back and perched on the edge of the bed. “Your eyes remind me of snow. I was hoping we’d get some tonight, it’s very cold. But the alert Dallas set up didn’t go off. Is the costume warm? You aren’t as sensitive to the cold as you used to be, but I believe the game will last a very long time. Should I bring down some blankets, just in case?”

“No opening the bar door tonight, love.” Jared guessed where his boy was going with the question. “There are too many others in the room you’ll make uncomfortable. But we can go up on the roof tonight in our winter sleeping bags if you like, after our fun is done.”

Relief washed over Jamie’s features. “Yeah. I’d rather you taxed the cat than making me freeze my balls off all night. I’d have asked Jacks to make an L.D. into a pelt sac muff if I’d known.”

“All right, enough of that. The lot of you.” Noah shook his finger at both subs, then included Jared. “L.D. is not becoming a decoration. Or an item of clothing. No wonder he’s so grumpy with you. I would be too if you were constantly contemplating stuffing me and putting glass eyeballs in my head.”

“Dude.” Skirting out of Noah’s range, Jamie went toward his dressing closet. “He’s just grumpy. Period. But I love him anyway.”

Eyes narrowing, Noah fixed Jamie with a look that held an edge of warning. “Careful, little cat. You know better than to call me that. I like having fun with you, but if you’re going to test me, we’ll both be missing out on the fun for tonight.”

Jared folded his arms. “Get dressed, Jamie. I’ll be bringing a ball gag with me, in case you need it.”

“Sir, I believe you may have a blind spot where this cat is concerned.” Wren scooted back on the bed, grabbing the spray bottle and holding it out when L.D. jumped at his feet. “Perhaps a zoo would be appropriate, then? He’s feral. There is no way around it. Maybe his breed is not at all what you think it is?”

“Would you like to see a trick I discovered?” Finished putting his socks on, Jared stood from the reading chair. He shared a conspiratorial smile with Wren, wanting to lighten the mood. “Say, ‘yes, sir’.”

Wren’s brow furrowed. “Yes, sir?”

Going to his closet, he took out a broom handle length of wood with a smooth end that Curtis had cut and forgotten. Back in the bedroom, he stepped up to L.D., making his favorite pstp tpst noise to signal play. The cat perked up, turning and stalking toward him. Whereupon, Jared poked the pole at him very lightly. 

The cat flipped on its back, attacking the poke with its claws and digging in. Which made it very easy to move him around the wood floor’s glossy surface. 

Jared grinned at Wren. “Dust mop.”

“Yes, that is a very good use for him.” Wren snickered, brushing his hands over his cargo pants.

He wore the outfit Jacks had made for him at Jared’s request—the same one from the night things had taken a very bad turn. He’d been reluctant to at first, but Noah cut off his objections, pointing out that neither of his Doms had gotten to enjoy it.

The fabric was functional and fit snugly in all the right places, but it was a bit strange seeing Wren looking like he’d just walked off the battlefield, while stressing about every bit of dust around him. “I would admire his taste for violence if it was aimed elsewhere. And I don’t mind him giving me practice with wounds. But I do object to him not using one of his three litter boxes when he is in a mood. That is unacceptable. I keep them very clean for him.”

“Animals know when you don’t like them.” Having executed a quick costume change, Jamie tap danced back into the room, and Jared realized he actually wore tap shoes with the little clickety metal bits on the bottoms. “L.D., come to Daddy.” Jamie held out his arms, and the cat perked up, then went back to attacking the broom handle. “Fine. Be that way.” He stood, the elaborate feathered cloak he wore somehow not attracting the cat at all. “Noah, do you think you’d have liked me if you met me in this outfit?” He spun around, showing off the sequinned pantsuit that was straight out of Liberace’s closet, along with the long multicolored cloak. “Betcha you couldn’t have found my ass to spank it.”

Noah blinked, looking a little stunned at both the jumps in topic and with what Jamie was wearing. He visibly shelved his earlier disapproval, changing it for the bit more diplomatic approach he attempted at times. Which didn’t always come quite naturally.  “Jamie… I had just gotten out of prison. I liked your spunk and that you stood up for Wren. The look…wouldn’t have changed that.”

Hanging back, pole in his fingertips while the cat tried to eviscerate pine, Jared watched as Jamie tap-danced up to Noah, the feathers bouncing and fluttering. “So you don’t regret marrying a sometimes cheeky, more than a little freaky, pop princess who worships the ground you walk on?” 

Brow furrowing, Noah took a deep breath. “Uh…no. I love you, my boy. You’ve always been appealing. Including now.”

Shaking his head, Wren picked up his notebook and sighed. “We need more pennies.”

Jamie wrinkled his nose, lowering to his flat footed stance from his tiptoes. “You seriously don’t want to kiss me while I’m wearing this, sir?”

“I do.” Noah chuckled, placing his hands around Jamie’s waist and lifting him up to claim his lips. He spoke softly against them. “My little cat, you were who I saw that first night. Exactly who I needed at the time. And we’ve both changed, in good ways, I think? It leaves us plenty to explore and it keeps things fresh.”

Cradling one of Noah’s cheeks in his hand, Jamie stole another kiss, tipping their foreheads together. “I love you, Noah Leonov.” He took in a breath. “I—”

“Dammit!” Jared hopped backward, hot pain lancing his foot along the top as the cat got its claws into him.

Wren shoved off the bed, snatching up the squirt bottle and spraying L.D. He let out a harsh sound between his teeth. “This is why I don’t like you. Be evil elsewhere before I throw you in the shower.”

Speaking through gritted teeth, Jared hobbled over to the chair, leaving the pole on the floor. He lifted his foot to examine it, ripping off his sock. “He put two holes in me. Vampire.”

“Go get the medkit, my little bird.” Noah sat Jamie on the bed, striding across the room and swooping L.D. up with one hand. He shook his finger at the cat. “This is why I set you up your own room. You can go in there and think about what you’ve done. This is not how you make friends.”

Wren watched him go, grumbling under his breath. “Yes, his ‘room’ where he had toys and cat trees and everything he needs. Maybe if he was put on survival training for a few days he’d appreciate what he has.” He walked out into the hall. “I am burning all the catnip. He doesn’t deserve it.”

“It’s organic. And cost a lot. I had it shipped from Mexico. Or somewhere in Spain. Or maybe it was France...” Jamie clicked his tongue piercing against his teeth.

In the next room, as soon as the door closed, an almighty howl started. L.D. sounded like the most pitiful, sorrowful, mistreated creature on the planet. “Mrooooowwwww... Mroooowwww? ... Wowwww...wowwowwow...”

Wren came back into the bedroom with the medkit, letting out another heavy sigh. “Noah will not be able to ignore him. He’ll stay here and get him all calmed down and feel horrible about even wanting to leave. That creature is only tolerable when Noah’s reading and he curls up on his lap.”

“Don’t fret, love.” Jared leaned over, popping open the kit, which had drawers that rose when released. “Hand me the antibacterial ointment, a cotton swab, and have a Band-Aid at the ready, please.”

Chewing at his bottom lips, Wren nodded. “Sir, have I displeased you? I’ve tended to wounds like this before. I would be grateful if you would allow me to do so again.”

Surprise widening his gaze, Jared leaned toward Wren, placing both hands on his shoulders. “No. Not in the least, little raven. I’m preoccupied. But of course you may see to it. It’s a simple disinfect-and-cover wound. Nothing serious.”

“I know, sir. But I like…because it’s a small thing, I can do it on my own. I enjoy it when you test me. And make sure I remember all the details on how to care for a patient.” Wren knelt at his feet and gently removed his sock. “If you’ll place your foot on my thigh, I will be able to tend to this. There may be a slight sting while it’s being cleaned. It will pass.” His brow furrowed. “Now I’m supposed to keep the patient relaxed with small talk. Do you enjoy…rocks?”

“Very good, little raven.” Jared placed his foot on Wren’s thigh, resisting the urge to tease his crotch with his toes. Taking Wren seriously at these times was important to them both, and it was only his own nervous energy that had him considering the flirtation. “I was a bit of a geology nut in high school, actually. In junior high, I had a fascination with micah. It glitters. I thought it was gold and that if I collected enough I’d be able to put myself through med school with it. Once my guardian allowed me to get a library card, I was able to check a book out on geology and realized my mistake.”

Carefully cleaning the scratches, Wren nodded. “I enjoy the way certain stones can tell us about what’s happened in the past. Danny has begun exploring something I do not quite understand. He and Jacks have so many different rocks around their loft and they are supposed to do things. I’ve looked at these rocks and they are very pretty, but I don’t think they can stop bullets. Or all the terrible accidents Danny imagines. I like hearing about those. They would make a good horror story.”

“Perhaps you and he could write one together someday, as a sort of catharsis for him.” Breathing through the sting, Jared wondered not for the first time what Wren might think of the odd scars on the tops of his feet where molten sand had melted his boots into his skin. “There’s a lot to be said about having something to believe in to get you through anxiety. It might not be the object itself that cures us, but our mind believing we can be cured. Or protected.”

Wren inclined his head. “I told Danny if he threw the large piece of amethyst Jacks got for him at someone’s head, it would be very useful and cause considerable damage. Shea took me aside and said to let him have his fantasies and not make them gory. I wasn’t trying to. It’s a lot like a religion and I’m not sure that should be encouraged. But Jamie said some people have a Sky Daddy and that’s okay.”

In the living room, Jamie began experimenting with lyrics. “Daddy in the sky, gonna make some pie—” He stopped. “No, that doesn’t work.”

Jared gave Wren an amused look. “That is one way to put it. ...And faith is an acceptable coping mechanism if we don’t use it to judge others and alienate or hurt them.”

“I try not to judge, but it doesn’t seem very logical. Neither does cards predicting the future. There are so many variables.” Wren lifted his shoulder, bending close over Jared’s foot as he applied the soothing cream, then examined the cut. He made a disappointed sound. “You were right, sir. This will only need a Band-Aid. I need more practice with stitches. Quint does them so neatly and he talks about the most random things with patients. I can not do that. It’s distracting to deal with people being emotional and trying to be precise at the same time. Maybe I can…give patients a quiet stick?”

“Have you read the ethics in medicine book on my shelf yet? Perhaps that one should be next.” Jared adjusted his seat so his foot stopped sliding down Wren’s thigh. “Also, I’m unsure if you’re aware, but nurses don’t generally perform sutures. Physician’s Assistants will often do them, or a physician. If you’d like to be licensed as a P.A., we can discuss it. It would mean more schooling, but would be a natural step after the nursing degree. Nothing to worry about now.”

Wren peered up at him after applying the Band-Aid. “So long as I could assist you, sir, I would like that very much. And I will read that book. I was sticking with the more practical ones. Can I…maybe be a medic here? So I can do everything even if I’m not good at comforting patients?”

“You will always work with me. No matter what you decide. I want you by my side.” Flexing his toes, Jared admired the precise placement of the bandage. “Very nice work, Nurse Raven.”

“Thank you, sir.” Wren took a deep breath and brought one hand up to his hair, which was softer now with the length, but still framed his skull. “Does this…I know you wanted this outfit for me, and I do like it. I don’t know what kind of soldier I might have been, but it’s interesting to imagine. I am just…afraid it might bring back bad memories. I can wear something else?”

“No... Not at all.” Leaning over, Jared placed his hands under Wren’s arms to lift him into his lap. “Lap penalty.” Smiling softly, he kissed Wren’s cheek, then leaned back to observe him. “What makes you think I’m having bad memories? I love the outfit, and it’s not...” His gaze lowered to the way the fabric snugged at Wren’s groin. “Let’s just say the fit is not regulation. Which I greatly appreciate.”

Wren shrugged, lowering his gaze. “I just needed to know, sir. It’s not you, it’s…I see how Quint connects with people and I can’t. And I know losing him was difficult. I like having him here. I’m not jealous. But…” He shook his head. “He knows what to avoid so he doesn’t hurt you. I need to be able to do the same.”

One hand on Wren’s hip, the other on his closest thigh, Jared squeezed gently. “Look at me, my sweet boy.” When Wren obeyed, Jared held his gaze, letting a moment of raw honesty pass silently between them. “I love Quint. Always have and always will. You are my life, my every heartbeat, and my next breath. It’s true that this comes with some risk, just as your loving me comes with risk. Sometimes, in love, we hurt each other when we don’t mean to.” 

Jared didn’t break Wren’s gaze even when L.D. apparently jumped on a shelf in the next room, knocking a change jar onto the floor with a clatter, the distinctive noise of coins rolling everywhere and a thud telling him the cat had jumped after. 

Taking a deep breath, he continued, wanting to get this right for his boy. For Wren to understand. “But because we love each other, we do make it right. We do better. Quint... Quint hurt me profoundly once...twice. He chose someone else, and that was the someone who was right for him. The situation was complicated, but I know he’s in the right place. It’s not that he knows not to hurt me, or how not to hurt me, but that he doesn’t have the power in quite the same way over my heart. I love him intensely, but you have that place he once occupied. It means you can hurt me because my heart is completely open to you. No holds barred. It beats for you. There is great risk...”

He kissed Wren’s lips gently, enjoying the lingering tart sweetness of the grapefruit juice he’d been drinking earlier. “Because there is great reward. It is the same for you, I hope. When the wounds happen, because that is life, we will each do better next time. I trust you. I trust in you, in me... In us.”

Wren smiled and inclined his head, smoothing his hands over his sides. “I trust you, sir. Thank you for letting me know and…I’m glad you like the outfit. Dressing up like this isn’t something that usually appeals to me, but for tonight it might be an interesting experience. I’m curious to see what everyone else will be wearing.”

Tugging Wren’s lapels straight, Jared put on his inspection face and flicked an imaginary piece of lint off his immaculate sub’s shoulder. “I expect a full report Corporal. Orders are to enjoy the evening and the Dom—any Dom—who claims you. No doubt. No fears. You are mine. I am yours. Forever. Nothing can change that.” He held Wren’s gaze. “Nothing.”

“Yes, sir.” Wren blew out a breath, glancing toward the door as the cat stopped his plaintive sounds. His brow furrowed. “Did he drug the creature? That might make the night much more pleasant.”

“Since we’re going downstairs in a moment, I imagine Noah let the hellspawn out of jail, as you’d predicted.” A glance toward the door to reassure himself Noah wasn’t listening didn’t guarantee anything. The man had goddamn bat ears like every other merc in the place. “We need to put a timed lock on the door.”

Biting back a laugh, Wren gazed up at him, eyes shining with laughter. “I think that would be a gadget almost every member of this household could agree on, sir.”

“This is not a democracy.” Noah spoke with his voice raised from the living room. “L.D. has calmed down, no need to conspire against him. He’s reacting to the excitement in here, that’s all.”

“I’d pull rank, but I don’t have time to cement my status in the ring, and this isn’t a medical issue.” Lips twitching, Jared set Wren on his feet with a light pat to his ass. “Unless, of course, you’re suffering mental stress and trauma. OSHA, or whichever tight-assed Federal agency oversees that sort of thing these days, could be called in to institute a policy. Lawson would have to do some lawyering. It would be amusing.”

Wren seemed to consider it for a moment. “No, I’m all right, sir. But if the demon attacks you again, I’m bringing him down by the pool and siccing Bram on him. The bird really does appear to have a longstanding grudge and he’s much better at handling L.D. than the other animals here.”

Socks on his feet once more, Jared took Wren’s hand to lead him to the living room. “If we’re marshaling troops, we will conscript him, Corporal Raven.”

  Shaking his head, Noah looked over at them, clucking his tongue. “L.D. will stay right here where he’s happiest.” He eyed the cat, who’d curled up on one of the armchairs. “If you sneak out and cause trouble, you’re on your own.”

In answer, L.D. sat with one leg in the air to lick his ass with loud smacking sounds of his tongue.

By the door, Jamie giggled. “Dude. It’s a wonder you ever do anything else.” He met Wren’s gaze. “Imagine if you could lick your own junk?”

“Why?” Wren’s brow furrowed as though the concept didn’t make any sense to him. “How would it be any different than touching myself when I’m not supposed to? And that is never as satisfying as having someone else do it. Besides, he does it to clean himself and I very much like soap and water. Imagining not having either of those things is not pleasant at all.”

Jamie opened and closed his mouth, frowning a little. “Erm... It’s much better getting blown than yanked?”

“You do both very well.” Wren stopped by the table near the door, taking out a lint roller and using it on the bottom of his pant legs. “When we’re allowed, of course.” He winked at Jamie as though trying to catch on and doing a terrible job of hiding it. Then his eyes widened. “Is this like puppy play, only kitty play? I’m sure there must be stretches you can do? Maybe Avery would know…”

Lifting his fidget spinner from the dish of organized nicknacks by the door—which he seemed determined to go nowhere without—Jamie shook his head. “Avery can’t reach. He showed me.” Jamie lifted his thumb and forefinger about a half inch apart. “So close though.”

“All right.” Jared huffed a laugh, placing one hand on Wren’s shoulder. “Before this goes downhill and someone ends up standing in a corner with a mouthful of soap. Let’s go.”

“Good idea.” Noah swept Jamie up, awkwardly maneuvering around the feathers, obviously struggling to find a place to put his hands. Blowing and spitting a bit when he got a mouthful of feathers, he put Jamie down, rubbing his hand under his nose before making another attempt. Flipping Jamie over his shoulder, he landed a solid smack on his ass. “Intentional or not, you get that for making things very difficult for your Dom, little cat. If I didn’t know better, I’d think this entire outfit was part of a plot to make it trickier to get a hold of you when you’ve earned a spanking. Let’s get rid of that notion now, just in case.”

Jamie wriggled, the motion making it look like he humped Noah’s shoulder in his attempt to get comfortable as the cloak drifted upside down and trailed along the stairs, shedding feathers in Noah’s wake. “No, sir. But I can confirm it’s excellent padding and I didn’t feel that at all.”

“Really? Well damn, I guess I’ll have to find something more effective.” Noah made a thoughtful sound. “Or encourage Lawson to win you. You and he still have a date with his new paddle—since he postponed the last one to finish up the latest membership interviews. And you keep giving such good reasons to avoid any further delay.”

Not answering, Jamie giggled, like he didn’t find the idea distressing at all.

“Next time, I say we all draw names out of a hat. Keep things very interesting.” The door to the next level swung shut behind them, Jared walking behind Noah and Jamie with Wren by his side. One of the overhead bulbs had started to go, flickering in a way that Wren couldn’t fail to notice. Jared pointed upward. “Ghosts.”

Wren cocked his head. “If there were ghosts, I’m not certain they would know about electricity. I do wonder why they’re almost always shown to be from a much earlier time. Perhaps the idea is it would take a while for them to understand their place in the world and know how to interact? If you’re dead, do you wander around helplessly for decades, or centuries, completely removed from everything and thinking everyone is ignoring you? I don’t believe anything happens after you die, but I love the different interpretations. There’s one movie Jamie watched with Noah that has an interesting concept of that. The man learns how to move objects from a very grumpy ghost. That was my favorite part. I almost didn’t watch it at first because of the clay…” He shuddered. “That was revolting.”

Before Wren finished the last word, Jamie—who’s spiked hair could be seen bouncing in time with Noah’s steps down the stairs—was shaking his head. “Ghost. Hottest movie ever. Except for that scene in Dirty Dancing, which I’ve seen like a billion times.” He sighed, curving his palm around the muscled curve of Noah’s ass, and began to sing the movie song, his voice echoing as they passed Jacks and Shea’s door.

“Is that the one with the man who held up that big radio?” Wren’s smile was a little forced. “That was…not one of my favorites, but I like how into it you get.”

“My favorite horror movie is the one where they see dead people. I don’t mind watching that with my eyes closed.” As they neared the dungeon, the music from the bar drifted up through the door. “I like Bruce Willis’ voice. It’s why I can watch Die Hard, too. Curtis does a great interpretation of the ‘yippie kay yay mofos’ speech, too.”

Noah snorted, shaking his head. “Don’t remind him, he’ll do it nonstop. And the whole debate about it being a Christmas movie will start and never end. I don’t mind the movie, but I like limiting my rewatches to once every few years. He and Reed spend about a week before Christmas watching nothing else.”

Not really thinking about it, Jared muttered under his breath. “At least it’s not Love, Actually.”

Gasping, Jamie raised up a bit from Noah’s shoulder to give Jared a narrow-eyed glare. “Blasphemy!”

“Good taste.” Jared teased back, not minding his boy’s cheek as long as they were playing.

Trailing a step behind Jared, Wren spoke in an urgent whisper to Jamie, making it clear he wasn’t sure they were still playing. “I don’t think the movie is good enough to be worth earning a gag for the night. And think about it, it wouldn’t go with your outfit. Not that I’m absolutely certain anything would go with that outfit, but it’s…a statement piece. Did Jacks make that? I’m very surprised it didn’t cause some panic for Danny… I’m sorry, I’m getting off track. I need to help you stay out of trouble. Tell me about that movie you wanted me to watch with you again? In detail.”

Listening to Jamie’s chatter as he answered, Jared shared a meaningful glance with Noah as they turned the corner on the stairs down from the dungeon level. He didn’t know how to explain the warm feeling in his middle, so he simply said, “It feels like we’re finally home.”

Noah smiled at him, a soft look in his eyes as he adjusted his arm across Jamie’s ass to keep him from slipping further down his back. “This will be good for all of us. Some friendly competition, a way to blur the lines between us all a little. Remind us all why we fight so hard for this place. Together.”

It had been a long time since he’d thought of where he’d come from and the elusive Shangri-La that the word home had once represented. It seemed that most of his life had been spent in pursuit of that horizon. While it had become closer over time, with the addition of people he loved and the spaces he’d inhabited with them, it wasn’t until this moment that he felt it within his grasp.

Relaxing, focusing on fun and found family, he prepared to let go. To trust with his whole heart.

And finally let those last few pieces fall into place.

**** 

Part 52

 

To keep up to date on all the happenings with The Asylum Fight Club, sign up to the newsletter HERE: https://www.subscribepage.com/j4m0q5 

There's also a new twitter account: https://twitter.com/asylumfightclub

And tons of socials where you can find info on the core! Keep an eye out for all the links so you never miss a thing!

Looking for official Asylum Fight Club merchandise? You can find it here: https://www.zazzle.com/store/asylumfightclub/products

As always, comments are welcome and spoilers can be discussed in the spoiler group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/244198880244923 

 

 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts